netsmithUK

Holiday Buggy Rerelease In July

I must say, for myself this whole story worked just fine, I got from ebay, when the info of a re-re came out, a NIB chassis + all the plastic parts sprues for 90 Euros. ;)

Not bad, that was easily the price of the chassis alone not so long ago...

So I'm making my own Re-re as I wanted it !

J.

Hahaha LOL, my god... how could they possibly have messed it up more?

Different chassis (too wide, and no bumper), different wheels (ugly yellow ones), and they even managed to put holes in the shell! Someone at Tamiya should be embarrassed.

At least I get to save my money ;)

Ooh, just noticed it is Wandy, I had better accept the offer before he changes his mind B)

P.

PS : Oh and thanks for taking the offer function seriously. Some people just don't understand it lol!

;) Thanks for accepting the offer. Yes, the first thing I did when I saw that latest photo was to go hunting on the bay for original wheels & tyres. I got your set and another pair of fronts NIP so just need another NIP set of rears to have two full sets. However these wheels & tyres will be used on a shelf queen original Holiday Buggy and Sand Rover when I get a chance to find reasonably priced, good condition used cars.

So then, now that we know what we are getting....some thoughts:-

* This is not a re-release. The word "tribute" has, incorrectly, been bandied about by some to describe the 1980s cars brought back into production. Those cars (Avante "Mk3" withstanding) are not tributes, they are the genuine article from back in the day given spit & polish to give them modern credibility. However this Holiday Buggy Mk2 is the correct definition of a tribute. It's a different car pretending to be an original Holiday Buggy.

* Having had a look at this "Mk2" I have to say that, once over the initial disappointment of non originality, I rather like the look of it and feel it has much potential. Yes the yellow wheels and tyres are pretty cheap looking but there must be a shedload of nice aftermarket wheels that will fit. I must be the only one who thinks the holes in the body are not necessarily a bad thing either. It's a Beach Buggy after all, and 1:1 vehicles have holes and suspension bits sticking out all over the place so this kit has that the extra bit of realism. :D I think we will see lots of exceptional looking versions of this kit from the highly skilled modellers in this club.

* With regard to the "lazy" comments....if the original tyre & wheel moulds were still available then yes, I agree that would be very lazy of Tamiya to not bother making the effort to bring them back. Maybe the original moulds are long gone, who knows? However the fact is that, even in the 1980's, Tamiya had "form" of knocking out mish-mash combinations of bodyshells that don't go well with the chassis they sit on in a transparent ploy to shift as many numbers as possible....Audi Quattro/Opel Ascona shell on a Lunchbox chassis? Lazy. Lancia Rally shell on a Brat chassis? Lazy. Let's face it, even the Ranger XLT was an effort to maximise sales of the SRB chassis so let's not kid ourselves that the company are abandoning their principles in the modern era.

* This just reinforces my view that the company will not just simply re-release anything in it's original guise if they think it will damage the brand...even if they could sell a bundle of them. An original chassis with virtually inoperative suspsnsion was seemingly not an option in this case.

* A Mk2 Sand Rover is not necessarily guaranteed. This will depend on how well the Holiday Buggy sells and whether the DT02 chassis can accomodate the Sand Rover shell. However even if they don't bring the Sand Rover back this does not weaken the "two re-releases from each chassis" theory because this model is not a genuine re-release.

All in all I am still happy. If this was the best they could do then I'm glad they did it rather than have nothing at all. The originals will now, at the very least, hold their value. And I can now pursue the originals now that I know that the re-release is never going to happen. :)

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58470

still claims that: Features the same ribbed front and spike rear tires as the original.

is this just a mistranslation? meaning that the Holiday Buggy 2010 features ribbed front and spiked rear tyres, same as the original did - not the same tyres, but the same tyre configuration?

If they can do ts rubbish, then they can release the Sand Rover on a srb chassie!!!

Badboy

aaaaaaaa....what the......huh! :)

not sure about those rims and tires.

Dear mr.tamiya,

for sand rover, just come out with the

body kit please.I'll handle the rest.

yours truely,

skip

momma said thier'd be days like this.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58470

still claims that: Features the same ribbed front and spike rear tires as the original.

is this just a mistranslation? meaning that the Holiday Buggy 2010 features ribbed front and spiked rear tyres, same as the original did - not the same tyres, but the same tyre configuration?

Yes, configuration would appear to be what they were describing. Talk about an over-optimistic description of a product though! :)

Having had a closer look at that chassis I really don't expect the Sand Rover to arrive now. I don't see how they can pull it off without it looking ridiculous.

On the plus side, at least they're capable of casting the body still, so maybe a 'show' body is somewhere in the future

If we're real lucky, there'll be a section of the manual saying where to drill the holes in an un-holed body ;)

If they were gonna make such a vomheap out of this respew, they shoulda had a look at making a 3rd SRB - I fitted a HB shell to my original SS, can't remember how 'good' it looked though :)

Dont know about anyone else but every time i look at the HB photo i can hear the drill sergeant guy from Full metal Jacket say " youre so ugly, you could be a modern art masterpeice"

i had a horrible feeling the Super Fighter G wheels would remain.

The narrower track shouldnt be that difficult to acheive,but in addition to trying to get SRB type high profile tire and rims to work is gonna be VERY tricky.

why o why aint there more ballon type tire/wheel combos available?

these older buggies really suit and NEED them.low profile is cool for performance but big squishy ballon tires that deform over bumps and jumps are an element of the early baja stuff surely?

oh...and dont call me surely! :)

Introducing the Stadium Jaguar SS120...from Ta-mee-ah with custom hard top.

relive the excitement of days gone by when sports roadsters were customised for stadium track racing.....

"what what grayson,do you think the wheels stick out far enough?"

"yes i beleive they are just about jolly pip,tally ho"

49xxxxx model with special packaging including,flying helmet,goggles and smoking pipe

Ive read my posts back...im sorry ...i dont mean to poke so much fun at the poor HB.

i just cant get the reasoning behind it.

decent 2wd chassis,low profile tires,large diameter wheels......no retro features at all..and a 380?

shell from a modest performing scale retro buggy.

so it will be drive slow and scale but handle so good it will be a snooze fest to drive.kids or grown ups.

itll look like a scale buggy gone wrong..stick any 540 sized motor in it and itll be....any dt02 thats gone before it?

what am i missing here? i cant understand the lack of "charm" features on this re-release/mk11/"vomheap of a respew" :) curtesy of TWINSET

I was looking for a new fun buggy to quickly build and run and I actually quite like the look of this. I'd love a re-re SRB but they're just way too out of my price range. What I quite like about this new version is that with a few mods such as different wheels/tyres and little additions like a light bar along the front it'll look reasonably scale but should also have a pretty decent performance. I'm looking forward to it.

I understand your point,Mobias.but i do think the modifactions aint gonna be at all straight forward.

the chances that it will be a straight Super fighter G underneath are a done deal due to the predicted price.

that means plastic dogbones,wheel axles and out drives.

if you plan to try anything other than hex fitment wheels youre gonna try and change the wheel axle,say to a FROG type to get SRB type wheels to fit..

but the dogbones have HUGE ball and pin ends on them...

so then its regular dogbones..

but that needs regular out drives due to the giant ball and pin ends again...

the diff uses the rectangle rather than splined drive points,so the splined ones you have in your parts box wont work...

so its tt01 df02 outdrives...but were back to plastic ones again...hop up metal ones are avail....

after all this you get SRB 3 pc wheels on...but they look too small for the width of the wishbones....

basically unless there are 12mm hex fitment high profile wheel/tyres out there,that happen to have matching narrow fronts that take bearings for 2wd...or you spend prob the kit price again to alter the stock parts ,youre stuck with it as it is...

thats why i dont see how this could have worked as a model you could easily tinker with to make it look more like the original.

maybe there is a 4wd mini JR Holiday Buggy thats yet to be released so it could be explain like the Avante MK11?

Wow,

I really think they missed a trick on this one.

James.

So much for hoping the Prototype was far from the production one...

58470.jpg

(Picture from www.Tamiya.com)

-Lars

Really is a shame. I was sure they would have shortened the suspensions arms (like they did to the DF03 when then converted it to the DF03RA) and given it vintage wheels / tires.

I certainly didn't see this coming.

James.

Can someone post a link to the page on Tamiya.com where this is just so we know this is for real and not another eloborate RE Re joke :)

James.

I honestly thought those early pictures were bogus or perhaps the car in early development I was thinking like everybody else surley wheels,holes in the bonnet and some other changes were to be made before the final result .

Can those holes even be covered in as they are there to accommodate the shocks if you cover them up wont movement from the shocks affect any changes made to the holes ?.

The body could probably be raised slightly so the holes could be covered in what other cars/buggies have had this done to them it just looks like a half hearted attempt , looks like they ran out of money halfway through development "Near enough is good enough"

Its hard to believe that those early pictures are basically the finished buggy .Its a horrible example of a Holiday Buggy yeah sure the original wasen't eye candy but this one is just hideous I was thinking of buying a couple of kits but having seen the end result I think I will spend my $$$ elsewhere .And I think that is all we can do if we are not happy with what Tamiya have released dont buy the kit perhaps leave Tamiya scratching their head wondering where and what went wrong perhaps oneday in the future they will get advice from people who run/collect these cars/buggies and throw that into the R&D pool .

The $$$ I would have spent on this will now go onto a kit that has nostalgic meaning to me or I may even buy a different brand for a change.

What a disaster Tamiya whats going on at "T" headquarters I thought drugs were illegal in Japan :)

Tamiya is already regretting that they are to release this car - They themselves think it's hideous too...

How do I think that? Well... It's 'somewhat' of a 'coincidence' that exactly this... this... monstrosity has no link to a description with a BIGGER picture :)

I really don't get where some of the people are coming from on this thread. People who say it was always ugly then moan about it being a travesty and they won't buy it etc. People who never owned it moan that the car doesn't have the original chassis etc.

I think the car looks / is great! Tamiya is releasing a car at the same price as the grasshopper which will be much better for beginners and bashers and has more personality than most buggies out there.

For the crazy few that bemoan the lack of the original chassis, just glue the diff, take off the springs and chuck some dirt in the gearbox before you screw it together, also cut the front suspension mounts until the struts have only 2mm off wafer thin plastic holding it onto the main tub, waiting for a bump (or just a strong gust of wind) to break! Then you can sample the charm of the original ;)

I find the coments about Tamiya not releasing much innovative new stuff confusing as they have introduced the cr01, developed top of the range tc's, 2wd and 4wd trf buggies, 1/8 racers, m05, F104, TA05v2,TB03 etc. In the many years I've been into this I would say they are more productive now than they have ever been.

The reason the new car has a wider wheelbase is that the originals suspension movement was extremely limited, the wheels need to stick out more to give them travel.

The yellow wheels look good with the blue shell, I painted mine yellow on my original as it looked better.

The holes in the bonnet are fine, it looks cool and imagine how smart it would be when there are some shiney shocks pointing through them.

It's a cool car, expandable with both performance parts and a good imagination, and to top it all off it's got a cowboy behind the wheel :)

:)

That post made me laugh out loud! I don't necessarily agree with it 100%, but it sure was funny...

Of course, they could also buy an original!

Paul.