netsmithUK

Holiday Buggy Rerelease In July

Fun 80%

Nostalgia 20%

Bargain 100%

well said

PS : I am going to try to put the bodyshell on a Mad Bull

I think the wheelbase is too long on a DT-01...

:lol:

80% fun

GrassHopper ,orig Brat and Lancia Rally...all quirkey handlers ,and fun with a 380...

DT02 (any of them) with a 380 ...imagine a sports car with 10bhp

change up to 540 and it seems you should have bought a Desesrt Gator to start with.

like i say,throw in the Holiday Buggy shell and people will spend there dosh on a model they wouldnt have bothered with previously.

i just dont think its in the spirit of the previous re-releases,but i am warming to the fact is was made at all so it cant be all bad i guess :)

If you want to fill in those holes, boil up some old Tesco carrier bags and drip the waxy residue into the holes. I am kidding of course ;)

Thanks for the advice!? :) Paul, you crack me up :lol:

At least I got a laugh out of this new release!

Cheers,

Alistair G.

The thing is the only people who benefit with the original are a handful of collectors. The new hb will be more fun to build and run which is what 99% of the market wants. The casual consumer who either wanted one back in the day or had one will think it looks close enough, it will be cheap and fun and it may get them into the hobby.

What 99% of people want these days is a Traxxas Slash RTR.

I can't see a kit with an anaemic 380 motor, and ugly fragile bodyshell with holes in it getting many sales.

It comes back to the question - Who do Tamiya think is going to buy this kit? Since the body has holes in it and likely other changes to make it fit a DT02, and the chassis isn't the same, nostalgia freaks aren't going to buy it. And since it's slow out of the box, is a kit, and is so butt-ugly, nobody else is going to buy it. Maybe it will sell well in Japan, because the Japanese seem to love quirky stuff like this, and that is Tamiya's primary market, but personally I just don't understand this kit.

Strange.

- James

The Avante Mk11 could have been accused of trading from a known name and legacy,but then it was sold with the idea of a 4wd mini junior owner "trading up" to a big radio control version.

The Avante Mk.II was also criticized for trading on the nostalgia of the Avante name, without living up to the Avante credentials. The original Avante was a technical showcase. The Avante Mk.II was a missed opportunity to release a hopped-up DF03.

Not to mention the original Avante was one of the best looking, sleekest, most elegant, high tech buggies Tamiya ever produced. The Avante Mk.II looked hideous by comparison - too angular, too unrealistic. Upsizing the mini racer just resulted in a buggy that looked out of proportion.

- James

I just saw a Holiday buggy on ebay... after reviewing the pictures, I can't fault Tamiya for not remaking the original chassis. It is too primitive... I do however fault their choice for the re-release.. its not a kit worth re-releasing... they should have followed up the SRB with Fast Attack and Wild One. That's my opinion..

What 99% of people want these days is a Traxxas Slash RTR.

I can't see a kit with an anaemic 380 motor, and ugly fragile bodyshell with holes in it getting many sales.

It comes back to the question - Who do Tamiya think is going to buy this kit? Since the body has holes in it and likely other changes to make it fit a DT02, and the chassis isn't the same, nostalgia freaks aren't going to buy it. And since it's slow out of the box, is a kit, and is so butt-ugly, nobody else is going to buy it. Maybe it will sell well in Japan, because the Japanese seem to love quirky stuff like this, and that is Tamiya's primary market, but personally I just don't understand this kit.

Strange.

- James

Agree with this James, very much so.

I just saw a Holiday buggy on ebay... after reviewing the pictures, I can't fault Tamiya for not remaking the original chassis. It is too primitive... I do however fault their choice for the re-release.. its not a kit worth re-releasing... they should have followed up the SRB with Fast Attack and Wild One. That's my opinion..

The Grasshopper is primitive. Didn't stop them re-releasing that unchanged.

But I agree, a 959, Wild One or FAV would be a very nice re-release. Even a 1/10 scale DF03RA 959 would be rather nice.

We just had some of the hugest re-releases ever with the Buggy Champ, Sand Scorcher, Hot Shot, Frog... We can't expect Tamiya to keep cranking out all the hits.

- James

The Grasshopper is primitive. Didn't stop them re-releasing that unchanged.

But I agree, a 959, Wild One or FAV would be a very nice re-release. Even a 1/10 scale DF03RA 959 would be rather nice.

We just had some of the hugest re-releases ever with the Buggy Champ, Sand Scorcher, Hot Shot, Frog... We can't expect Tamiya to keep cranking out all the hits.

- James

Difference is though the Grasshopper is a little more "iconic" than the HB. In fact, I'd even go so far to say that so far all of the re-re's we've seen have had that "iconic" status - in other words they've all been kits that are synonymous with Tamiya and are fairly recognisable by the general public, whilst the HB isn't really is it? On that basis I do agree though that the Wild One might have been a more sensible choice for a re-re.

the grasshopper has futuristic technology in comparison to the holiday buggy. the 2 are not on the same page at all.

i love the old holiday buggy, but releasing that old chassis would be a reputation damaging move for Tamiya. i doubt it was even considered good when it was first released.

i guess thats the dilema..the original would have been quirky fun to drive..but as 30cm says..not good for Tamiya's rep if a newcomer was to find it broke all the time.

but it was and is again aimed at entry level.

so why i guess a DT02? surely it actually handles TOO good?

any original design such as the 380 brat with its "no diff,guess which direction i will go once i hit a bump" handling meant that a 380 pace didnt have you on your toes to correct any short commings in the handling department.

same with the Grasshopper...but put a 540 in it and it could quite literally sit on the spot with just the gearbox axle hopping up and down.and random direction changes were the norm on off road running. :P

i reckon a DT02 will simply be tame in comparison,and if you add a 540 i dont see what the point would have been with 380 in the first place.except poss a cynical marketing ploy? :P

the grasshopper has futuristic technology in comparison to the holiday buggy. the 2 are not on the same page at all.

i love the old holiday buggy, but releasing that old chassis would be a reputation damaging move for Tamiya. i doubt it was even considered good when it was first released.

Indeed, the GH chassis although very very poor is at least robust. The HB chassis is poor and delicate.

Really the only people who are peeved are those that just wanted another re-re and would have left the car in a box or the shelf. I cant wait to get one to race with my son and rag it about like I wanted to do as a kid (but was unable as it would spend alot of time in bit being fixed etc)

Really the only people who are peeved are those that just wanted another re-re and would have left the car in a box or the shelf. I cant wait to get one to race with my son and rag it about like I wanted to do as a kid (but was unable as it would spend alot of time in bit being fixed etc)

i would have quite happily run an original chassis'd holiday buggy, if i knew i could replace the parts easily! (and cheaply)

and if "shelfer" chassis were on tap, i would have explored beefing up options too.

drop that flexy fibreglass rear suspension setup, and put some coilovers in there . . . .

even running the HB 2010, you will still spend some time on the bench . . . glueing that roof back on :P

i would have quite happily run an original chassis'd holiday buggy, if i knew i could replace the parts easily! (and cheaply)

and if "shelfer" chassis were on tap, i would have explored beefing up options too.

drop that flexy fibreglass rear suspension setup, and put some coilovers in there . . . .

even running the HB 2010, you will still spend some time on the bench . . . glueing that roof back on :P

And that's the problem, the body and it's weak, non-separate, non-replaceable roof section. To be honest, I couldn't really care less about the chassis, it's the HB front and rear tyres and the body and the box art that I cared about much more. If they just gave us the original tyres and reinforced roof with separate piece as an official spare part, and didn't have the stupid holes in the body, then I'd be buying it.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

i still have my fingers crossed that the actual release body won't have those holes

Tamiya tend to pride themselves on the bodies, more than anything else. one would hope that this issue will be addressed!

i have a new built super fighter g here in my office. looking at the front suspension mount, it is not rocket science to lower it a bit, and maybe have shorter shocks.

heres a pic of old Super g.i didnt take a photo of it when it had srb wheels on (cos it looked weird with the long span arms)

unfortunately due to the drive line and such i gave up on it...i bought off ebay..tried abit..put it back on.was a shame really.

post-34198-1278337714_thumb.jpg

also heres a pic of my "Rough Racer" (top force/ta01/blazing star) to show what narrow track and srb wheels could look like.

They could have re issued the original chassis and keep everyone happy including nostalgia people and not annoy those who spent a lot of time and money on original restorations by making a cover for the gear box and removing the front arms from the chassis moulding altogether and making them removable, thereby easy to replace. One of the big problems was that when they broke, you had to replace the chassis, which cost wise is bad enough, but in terms of time, you had to take all the radio gear, motor and gears out etc.

They had some of the parts already re issued from the SRBs for the axles, so it would have just meant wheels/tyres (which don't have any special sponsorship problems I think?) the body (which they are doing anyway and wouldn't have needed to alter) and small mods to the chassis. Personally when I heard confirmation of the re issue, I thought they would do all those things and they haven't done any of them. Doesn't mean I won't have fun, but I have to do something about those wheels. I agree the 380 is a bit of an odd thing to add, it makes no sense except to reduce costs, very slightly.

Paul.

here is an SFG / HB 2010 (tentative) chassis

sfg%20(1).JPG

it is very wide.

at a glance i can already see where i will start chopping to narrow the track, and lower the shock mounts . . . . nurse, get me 10 cc's of epoxy resin and a bone saw

:P " nurse, get me 10 cc's of epoxy resin and a bone saw " :P

i dont dare say this....but ....pssst (whisper) i wouldnt be surprised if a Falcon re-re wasnt gonna sprout from this.....solid front wishbones top and bottom...damper goes thru the middle...add a cage round the motor....make said cage abit bigger and it could be a Wild One in the making...

OMG what am i saying!!! this truly is a slippery slope down what constitutes a re-re and what is simply made up!!!

i shall now rome the main street with a tea cosy on my head mumbling incoherintly.... :P

Falcon occured to me when I saw the mock up, which seemed to become the real article.

Paul

Paul,perhaps the Avante mk11 ,Neo Falcon and now this Holiday buggy were to test the water....maybe we should all be afraid...very afraid... :P:P

ive just scared myself abit too much....

best go change. :P

i wouldn't worry. the avante II and neo falcon were both big versions of the mini 4wd cars.

reassure yourself with the hornet, grasshopper, frog, top force, dyna storm, hotshot, buggy champ and boomerang re releases

I think it'd be a real shame if this shell does 'go to print' with holes in it - it's not exactly the most creative solution from a company known for their attention to detail (even over practicality)

As has been posted earlier, a redesigned front shock setup woulda sufficed, or even a couple of blister/teardrop shaped 'power bulges' moulded into the hood - anything really except two ugly holes.

Whether the DT-02 chassis should've been used or not, the shell is a terrible solution to a problem that didn't need to exist, and that's not coming from a collector, purist etc, just someone that would prefer shells fit for purpose, not bodged up to 'do' :P

The shell is not the eyesore, those holes are.