netsmithUK

Holiday Buggy Rerelease In July

oh just kinda remembered,those white front uprights..im sure that they have a long straight arm running to the steering rod connection.

i think they kinda rubbed on the Smoothee wheels due to them being smaller diameter and kinda fatter than the yellow wheels and tyres.

Not so much the upright,but the ball joint to the steering rod.

So its gonna be Hornet front uprights or maybe even go the blank axle route with the Parma hub adapter things and have Padlatrac's front and back?

TAMIYA! why couldnt you do this in the first place.....(shakes fist in the air) :)

Sorry to say I think this is the worst effort ever by Tamiya. It is basically insulting its red star, blue star philosophy. There is NO precision in that & NO passion has gone into this as a rerelease.

Basically - we need a VOMIT icon to insert here.... :)

The chassis/wheels doesn`t look good for the HB does it,the HB was my first RC in 1980 but i wont be rushing to buy one of these parts bin specials,sorry Tamiya.

Holiday Buggy was my first car, it was one of the cheapest. The only one my family could afford....

I want to love this and rush out to buy one, but I can't get excited about it.. Even the yellow rims hurt the original... why do that....

All this talk of narrowing the front end and holes in the body.. I'm moaning but I so want to love it..

Anyone found it for sale/reserve yet, anywhere in the world ??

The chassis/wheels doesn`t look good for the HB does it,the HB was my first RC in 1980 but i wont be rushing to buy one of these parts bin specials,sorry Tamiya.

Same story for me ! (although it was a SR)

Still, at least they're continuing the tradition - the HB will come with a bag too :)

post-1185-1278487563_thumb.jpg

Still, at least they're continuing the tradition - the HB will come with a bag too :)

I think the bag is a good idea, its a pretty fugly re-issue/re-incarnation so at least you can hide it in the bag :D

It is a shame that there are holes in the body but I still quite like it and will more than likely get one :)

I gotta admit that even though I'm not an owner of the original I'm kinda disappointed in the stark differences I see between the original and the re-re. I'd probably just get the bodyset if it's cheap enough and then see what I can fit it to... kinda like what Tamiya have seem to have done this time around.

Sorry to say I think this is the worst effort ever by Tamiya. It is basically insulting its red star, blue star philosophy. There is NO precision in that & NO passion has gone into this as a rerelease.

Basically - we need a VOMIT icon to insert here.... :)

Aren't some people here getting a bit worked up?!!! On the one hand you've got the DT-02 chassis which everyone here agrees is a good and robust 2WD chassis that's way better than the original and on top of it you've got one of Tamiya's better shaped and genuinely scale looking bodies. Now I know the front wheels are going stick out a bit far but as has been pointed out there are ways to easily mod that. Lots of people here go on about how much they love tinkering around with their cars - well here Tamiya are giving you a great opportunity to do so. So you've got a good little chassis, a really nice body to go on top, a reason to start tinkering around with the kit right from the off and it looks like it's not going to cost much. In these cash strapped times I think its a pretty good effort from Tamiya because at the end of the day you're going to have a fairly scale looking buggy that actually handles really well. That'll be a first for Tamiya won't it?

True. It's just another "who cares" RC release, out of 20-30 who-cares cars tamiya will release this year and every year. So we shouldn't really spend 18 pages bagging it. But there's no point defending it with lots of exclamations either :D

A few months down the track, eBay will be flooded with it and none of us will even talk about it. Just like Fire Dragon and lots of others. :)

H.

True. It's just another "who cares" RC release

Just to play devils advocate here - but I found the Buggy Champ and Sand Scorcher "who-cares" releases - as someone who got his first Tamiya RC in 1989 I had never even heard of them until I joined TC so the thought of spending nearly £300 on a heavy, bad handling RC car that I dont even remember was never going to happen. This HB is on a good handling chassis and has at least a reasonably "scale" body and it will probably be a fair price too if the price of the other DT02s are anything to go by - so its a winner for me.

*flame suit on* :)

The only chance this has of NOT being a complete disaster for Tamiya, is if its dirt cheap....

Also "BOX ART" they can't be using the original one, just look at it... the original looked amazing..

Honestly Tamiya have completely missed the point here... you can understand some of what they've done and why, but they've just gone too far and they won't get the sales they want from their existing customer base. Maybe it will bring in a whole new bread of newbies... and yes I have changed the font size to try and express myself more!!!!

post-32921-1278491921_thumb.jpg

I think it is the holes in the original body and the wheels that get people worked up :)

I don't think there will be a bodyset for such a cheap kit, perhaps it will be broken for spares.

Paul.

Maybe it will bring in a whole new bread of newbies...

I hope it's not wholemeal, I hate wholemeal

I don't think there will be a bodyset for such a cheap kit, perhaps it will be broken for spares.

Perhaps that's the reasoning behind the 380 then - to save the roof supports :)

I hope it's not wholemeal, I hate wholemeal

Perhaps that's the reasoning behind the 380 then - to save the roof supports :)

LMAO :D

Re-release?.....no way

Re-incarnation?....possibly

why?.....who knows

The previous re-re's have all had effort put in to make them similar/exact same.

they also have had brand new components designed in the spirit of the orig.(SRB shocks,Frog shocks,altered bodys etc)

these changes may have been for performance or to create as little an impact on resellers? you decide?

BUT either way its always been a re-re

This new HB breaks the mould,why it had to be the first to do so is anybody's guess

It is a good concept for a kit...cheap etc...but it could have been atleast a different name and then we would be congratulating Tamiya for "slipping" us an HB shell on the sly.

As it is,I do worry about some of my favourite kits making it to re-release stage intact...dignity included.

But there's no point defending it with lots of exclamations either :)

it looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a thought...

cardboard aint in short supply,so original boxes are possible

die cast "metal" doesnt require nuclear fusion to create

and plastic...for Tamiya esp...aint as rare as sharks tears

so Tamiya could bring out,say a Bruiser,tomorrow that only carbon dating could tell was different from the original.

BUT they dont...why? perhaps the outcry from collectors and resellers? it wouldnt go down well with everybody

this new HB seems to be causing an out cry at the other end of the scale tho,doesnt it?

and no clear reason why either? :)

Just a thought...

cardboard aint in short supply,so original boxes are possible

die cast "metal" doesnt require nuclear fusion to create

and plastic...for Tamiya esp...aint as rare as sharks tears

so Tamiya could bring out,say a Bruiser,tomorrow that only carbon dating could tell was different from the original.

BUT they dont...why? perhaps the outcry from collectors and resellers? it wouldnt go down well with everybody

this new HB seems to be causing an out cry at the other end of the scale tho,doesnt it?

and no clear reason why either? :)

I'm not sure why, as a business, Tamiya would care about the reactions of collectors or re-sellers - the money the collector or re-seller paid their seller is unlikely to ever reach Tamiya - upsetting a market you're never going to see money from is hardly reason not to upset them.

If anything, the perceived collectability would encourage any company to think about reissuing kits popular with collectors, providing they considered there to be a new market outside of collectors.

Thats why its bewildering innit?

as a business i would rather have a grand in my back pocket from selling my product ,than have nothing.

Tamiya are a business,why they didnt enter the re-re market with full on ,full fat, exact duplicates escapes me.

costs,licenseing etc...werent a consideration when they used first time round.

as for cost of the finished product? Im sure some have pockets deep enough for anything Tamiya could throw at them.

A 1-14 rig and trailer...not cheap.but they sell enough to make Tamiya design current ones? licenseing et all?

crazy??? :)

*** above was written with my business hat on...

I also think the previous re-re's were a refreshing (almost anti-business?) solution to keep as many happy as possible.

Tamiya have shown us that they have "collectors morals" in a way ,in the past.

49xxxx models have always been limited..could easily have churned em out

perceived "added value/special" items such as bags/t-shirts (tho i do want a Tamiya branded in-flight vomit bag now! :D )

just small examples of a company's values....none seem present with the new HB?

Just a positive thought re. the body.......... What if they've made the holes in the bonnet a sort of 'pop-out' so you could have an original body (or pop/cut them out for this ugly bu99er).

ML

Just a positive thought re. the body.......... What if they've made the holes in the bonnet a sort of 'pop-out' so you could have an original body

Yeah, that would be the ideal scenario, and my hopes;

If we're real lucky, there'll be a section of the manual saying where to drill the holes in an un-holed body :)

but even then that'd mean modding the mould to put 'dimples' in for the drill, so they may as well mod it with the holes pre cut.

Be a shame if the mould is permanently trashed though, given Tamiya's strange habit of releasing bodies 'for the sake of it' at Japanese trade shows - HB woulda made a nice Japan-only show shell (Mountaineer, Brat etc. before it)

I'll probably buy one, just so my three year old can build it and have a play...

Thats probably the age they were aiming for, the new bread/breed (not wholemeal) of newbie... I mentioned before...

Tamiya like to do little cartoon safety notices,if the holes had to be drilled out by the buyer..imagine the little cartoon kid ,complete with exclamation marks round his head and a cordless drill sticking through his hand! :)

oh and Twinset...you gonna make those vom bags avail on ebay?

we are collectors of generally older tamiya cars from our childhood, that we love and think look awsome, we are a small group.

Only 3 days ago on another forum they were having a list of the ugliest cars ever and the amount of re-re/vintage buggies on that list was criminal, cars like the frog, thunder shot, lunchbox, willy's wheeler and more were laughed at by a new younger generation of rc enthusiasts and rated as pig ugly, it upset me somewhat.

Tamiya works to a bigger audience than just our little niche and if by putting a h.buggy shell on a dt02 chssis means it can compete in the market place with the budget buggies like madrat's etc then im all for it.