netsmithUK

Holiday Buggy Rerelease In July

Humourous.

As they say, all exposure is good exposure. After 34 pages of it of nobody likes it and I see quite a few people are buying one now?

Tamiya 1 - Tamiyaclub -0

Anyway, who's hating on the HMR? ...grrr :D

:D

i kinda dug my grave pages ago.i too will get one..but under my own personal protest! :D

just for the record,im not being a negative nancy at the HB,im merely stating my point of view to an observation of the re-release trend. :D

Come on chaps, they have put 2010 after the item name, therefore it's a MK 2010 :D

I'm still waiting for the Monster Bettle rere.

No doubt on some sort of jumped up Mad Bull / Frog rere hybrid chassis, but lets face it - there'd still be 50 of them in showrooms.

It's a nasty hash up yes, but it's just about cheap enough to get away with it isn't it?

That's assuming the body is strong enough to withstand a roll - but if it isn't it's an INSPIRED choice to use up some of those 380 motors.... for info - best sellers after a chap buys a Grasshopper: 1: 18T Pinion + 540 motor. 2: How much for the shocks? Ah, I'll have a Hornet kit please.

This might get people into the hobby - which is what it needs for both the model shops, Tamiya and the hobby to survive with Generation Millenia anyway.

I still stand by my earlier "most upset" post though - it should be a 100% rere even if the chassis was crap - the Frog/Brat re-re still had self detructing front uprights after all - but an entry level £99 / $99 all-in car is what Tamiya needs to relight their embers and get their market back from Nikko/Cheap Chineses Rubbish In Tesco/Asda/Walmart etc Merchants - but interest is growing on this one (to the extent that I've even ordered a display kit this afternoon.... :D )

Tamiya is dreaming if they think this is going to sell at $123 US [price at Tower Hobbies]. The DT-02 Sand Viper - you know, the one with a better motor, better wheels, better tires, better body, better oil shocks, and full bearings - sells for $140 US at the same store. For just $17 less you too can have Frank N. Stein in a cowboy hat, driving a dirt-slow HB with a 380 motor, old wheels tinted a "pleasing shade of yellow", tires that went out of production years ago, pogo sticks, and plastic bushings.

I was toying with the idea of picking up a cheap & cheerful buggy just for the fun of it, but not anymore. Not ever at that price.

Tamiya just made it very easy for me to go spend my money on something else from a different manufacturer. Very disappointing, and I wasn't expecting very much either - just an inexpensive fun kit that begged me to waste a bit of money for the pleasure of building it. Takes the fun right out of it for me now. So why bother.

I might go buy an RTR Losi Mini Desert Truck or something just to mess with for the same price.

I'd buy it. In fact, I think I suggested that very thing a couple years ago. I'd rather see a true re-release, but if a DT02 WO2011 ever comes to pass, sign me up. (As long as it has the correct 8-hole white wheels, that is.) It's still a million times more interesting to me than a Slash.

I thought a bit about the HB2010 today. It would actually be a perfect platform on which to base a spec racing class. Allow ball bearings and tire/wheel changes, require the 380 motor and pogo sticks, and make the races LONG - like 10-15 minute qualifiers and 30 minute mains (easy with a 380 and, say, a 3000 mah battery). Enduro racing on a budget!

It's also going to be easier to change the color than you think. Someone (like me) will figure out a way to wrap the shell in sign vinyl, or maybe MonoKote - any color you want, even printed graphics. Paint is not the only way to coat a surface. And as for the body being fragile, if it breaks, I'll just stick an SS2010 shell on there. The nice wide wheel arches will make sure the front tires clear. (Ooh, the blasphemy! :D )

What's strange is that I'd seriously consider this one, but I've already made up my mind that the SRB re-releases aren't for me. And it comes down to the chassis. The HB2010 has a nice modern chassis design that conforms to certain standards of things I already have, like stick-pack batteries and 12mm wheel hexes, while the SRBs (and the original HB) pre-date the adoption of those standards. I don't want a vehicle for which I have to buy a special battery. Especially an expensive, heavy vehicle that, from what I'm told, only really shines on certain surfaces. This seems like a better all-round fun machine, and it still has a cool retro vibe.

So for me, it's going to come down to street price. Tower's $122 is a joke; they'll never sell them for that. I'm sure Stella will be nice and cheap, but then there's shipping. If I can get one locally for, say, $80, then it'd be a decent deal.

Oh, and my driver is getting sideburns, a mustache, a flannel shirt, and maybe aviator glasses, a la Rick Simon.

If I can get one locally for, say, $80, then it'd be a decent deal.

That's about what I envisioned, and for that price I'd buy one and enjoy it thoroughly. I was serious about hamming the driver up a bit to look like Boris Karloff's Frankenstein, or maybe an exposed brain zombie and go with the Munsters-style Holiday Buggy. Just for a lark.

It's not so much that I want them to make a Sand Viper with the HB shell, it's just sticker shock at the price. It's just absurd to make it that expensive considering the options it doesn't come with - especially for an entry level buggy! The Viper seems like a deal and the HB seems like getting cheated.

Marketing isn't actually about what you get for your money, it's more about how you FEEL about what you get for your money. Make people feel good about giving you their money, and you're going to be very successful. Fail and you have ... well, disappointed ex-customers.

I consider myself very brand oriented, and while I own some other brands too, my main interest is in Tamiya. Not all of them, for sure, but most. Even the ones I don't really have any desire to own generally stir my curiosity and make me think, maybe .... A perfect example is the re-re Sand Scorcher. I love the idea, and the looks, and watching them run, and I even like to read about people's experience building & running them. Just not enough that I want to buy one. Strange? Maybe, but it just seems to make me happier at the moment to admire them from afar.

I'll just have to [admire?] the HB2010 from really far away. :D

I really don't view this as a re-release at all. It's more like a nod to the vintage crowd, while putting a low-end fun-mobile out there for a new generation. Ok, sure, but that price point really turns me off.

I wasn't actually stating that your new Hilux is a poor car, but rather trying to draw attention to how contradictory your position is with regard to the Holiday Buggy. You've just plumped for a car that has huge flourescent wheels, outlandish tyres and a very wide track plus a body that does not really look too comfortable on it's chassis. Yet simply because that car was one of the first 100 kits it somehow has credibility whilst the new Holiday Buggy, a car that has very similar characteristics, albeit to a significantly lesser degree is considered by you to be rubbish. I suggest you are blinkered by the fact that the Hilux is vintage and the Holiday Buggy is not, and what's more, if the new Holiday Buggy had actually been around as part of the first 100 you would infact be raving about it. Your letting the fact that you are upset that the HB2010 is merely a tribute car and not a re-release cloud your judgement.

Also if you are so upset about the attitudes of today's kids then why on earth are you criticising Tamiya for trying to encourage those kids to develop the technical skills that we did? Like I say....contradictory.

My original post was just a laugh go back and read it,Then you stick your eagle beak in and ramp it up make it something its not .

You come out with this rubbish ^^

Quite scary Jonny Retro what you came up with on the homepage regarding the Wild One looks like it could be a reality though .

Very nice job you did making that picture up looks like the real thing actually it dosent look too bad better than the HB 2010 .

Just had a look at the new HB ,it looks horrid .The only good thing to come out of it is a new body set , albeit with holes in the front :D

if they think this is going to sell at $123 US [price at Tower Hobbies].

The prices at Tower Hobbies usually fluctuate with new releases and finally settle once they have stocked them for a short time.

Want a losi mini ? Go ahead - but it doesn't include a cowboy driver :D .

Go ahead - but it doesn't include a cowboy driver ;) .

:D

Frank is one UGLY dude, but that would be the funnest part for me actually getting the HB!! There should be a TC competition to see who can make the driver look the best/worst/most creative. Everything from exposed brains, monster mast, to "Rick Simon" clad in Hawaiian shirt. :D

My original post was just a laugh go back and read it,Then you stick your eagle beak in and ramp it up make it something its not .

You come out with this rubbish ^^

Going off on a rant about the state of modern youth didn't sound like much of a laugh to me. The thing is though I am in complete agreement with you on that subject, which is why I can't understand why your having a go at Tamiya for bringing out a cheapie aimed at said youth.

Also, I stand by what I said. There have been many kits that were weird & wonderfull quirky mash-ups that tend to divide opinion and the Holiday Buggy is obviously proving to be one of them. But so is that Hilux that you've bought. The two kits have an awful lot in common personality wise. When one of them is part of the 1st 100 however they seem to be given a lot of leeway.

Tamiya is dreaming if they think this is going to sell at $123 US [price at Tower Hobbies]. The DT-02 Sand Viper - you know, the one with a better motor, better wheels, better tires, better body, better oil shocks, and full bearings - sells for $140 US at the same store. For just $17 less you too can have Frank N. Stein in a cowboy hat, driving a dirt-slow HB with a 380 motor, old wheels tinted a "pleasing shade of yellow", tires that went out of production years ago, pogo sticks, and plastic bushings.

I was toying with the idea of picking up a cheap & cheerful buggy just for the fun of it, but not anymore. Not ever at that price.

Tamiya just made it very easy for me to go spend my money on something else from a different manufacturer. Very disappointing, and I wasn't expecting very much either - just an inexpensive fun kit that begged me to waste a bit of money for the pleasure of building it. Takes the fun right out of it for me now. So why bother.

I might go buy an RTR Losi Mini Desert Truck or something just to mess with for the same price.

This is a fair point. If they are really serious about bringing out a true entry level buggy then it really should have been even cheaper...round about the £50 mark.

This is a fair point. If they are really serious about bringing out a true entry level buggy then it really should have been even cheaper...round about the £50 mark.

Totally agree. I would be fine buying it at $85-100 US. $123 just offends my sense of propriety for some reason. I think it's just the notion, because I've left tips for good service at restaurants larger than the $23 difference. Or maybe I'm just being snarky ... it could happen. B)

Step #9

... use double sided tape to attach motor brace ...

Good to see the engineering and asthetic excellent Tamiya have displayed in the rest of the HB2010 hasn't been compromised in the smaller details.

This car is such a half-******* lash up! B)

B)

will be interested in the "mods" mentioned at the end.

mod 1...disassembly is reverse of assembly.(remember to clean the dirt attracting grease from the plastic bushes)

mod 2...re package

mod 3...return to store and swap for Sand Viper etc

:P

FLAME................................ON!

i will be interested in what is included in the mod part

Probably getting to step 36 without attaching anything that resembles body mounts in the earlier 35 steps - or does it just go slow enough for the shell to be retained by gravity and friction? B)

I reckon steps 28 and 29 covered it, but also included the builder sobering up and ending it all.

Step 31 onwards is by builder #2

Step 35 covers how to bury a Tamiya employee

And remember kiddies, (add grease to from axles if using bushings)