It's soooo ugly :D

Hope they sort the uglynes out!

Badboy

Any news?

Any new pics?

It's soooo ugly :rolleyes:

Hope they sort the uglynes out!

Badboy

Or why not just rename it, how about "Holiday Ugly"?

/Rocketeer

Or why not just rename it, how about "Holiday Ugly"?

/Rocketeer

Ha, ha, ha!!! :rolleyes::lol::)

Good one!

Badboy

Let's hope it's paintable plastic this time then

I'm gonna do mine blue :rolleyes:

...finished off with a top coat of anti grafitti spray :lol:

it would seem Tamiyakid has a link to Tamiya Japan that shows the holiday buggy 2010..in all its ......glory?

the link is in the lotus 79 thread in general discussions.i have no idea how to link stuff tho..

it would seem Tamiyakid has a link to Tamiya Japan that shows the holiday buggy 2010..in all its ......glory?

the link is in the lotus 79 thread in general discussions.i have no idea how to link stuff tho..

link to Tamiya Website below

Tamiya New Items list

So much for hoping the Prototype was far from the production one...

58470.jpg

(Picture from www.Tamiya.com)

-Lars

thank you The Tamiya Kid.for the link..i am quite hopeless with links and stuff!

also for finding that new photo.

crazy thought....do you think the DT02 chassis is "taking one for the team" so that the bodyshell is made available again? ;)

crazy thought....do you think the DT02 chassis is "taking one for the team" so that the bodyshell is made available again? ;)

Hmmm, the bodyshell unfortunately still have the holes in the bonnet for the damper towers... I'm sure there is more modification for it to adapt to the Dt02 chassis. So, it's not very good for a vintage restoration¨,

The rumours about tyre and wheels beeing the original ones seem to be wrong.

Translation from the little info on tamiya.com:

Release Date: August 28 (Saturday) about

Price (including tax): 8,190 yen

-Lars

Yellow wheels, holes in the bonnet, tyres sticking out massively, we (fans of the original) are doomed...they have not fixed anything.

Jerome

So much for hoping the Prototype was far from the production one...

58470.jpg

(Picture from www.Tamiya.com)

-Lars

I quite like it - I would never own an original Holiday Buggy/Sand Rover as they are not great runners - but this can easily be a runner and am I alone in thinking it looks quite good? ;)

I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as the mock up, but there's still something not quite right about it. I think that could because we all appreciate the original one. All of the re-re's thus far even if they've had bits changed still capture the "essence" of the original model, and what's wrong with this one is that it really doesn't.

Maybe if there had been no original HB, and this had come out, sure we might not be raving about it, but I wonder if we'd be thinking as negatively about it?

@skip665: No, you are not alone on this one...I like it too ;)

Best regards

GreatDane B)

I have had fun running Holiday Buggys and Sand Rovers, but those front shocks are a liability. With this new model at least those of you who want one, will have a diff and oil dampers and a more modern chassis. This also doesn't push the urban myth that Tamiya will always do two cars when they re issue an old chassis, as this isn't an old chassis, it is a newer one, so there is no guarantee that the Sand Rover will be done.

They also sneaked in a JPS on a F104 platform, instead of the old chassis. It will have a polycarbonate body and no JPS decals by the looks of things.

Paul.

I quite like it - I would never own an original Holiday Buggy/Sand Rover as they are not great runners - but this can easily be a runner and am I alone in thinking it looks quite good? ;)

I know where you're coming from with that skip. On it's own it doesn't look too bad, but compare it to the original, and it's lost that vintage charm because of the relatively modern chassis.

I know where you're coming from with that skip. On it's own it doesn't look too bad, but compare it to the original, and it's lost that vintage charm because of the relatively modern chassis.

I would never buy a DT02 or any other 2WD (or even perhaps 4WD) buggy as I cant stand those polycarbonate generic "buggy" shells they use - this has actually got me interested in getting one.

Always loved the Holiday bug (my 1st car), but this takes the biscuit. What have they acheived with it? None original chassis, the body now has no value to the restorers and we don't even get the original wheels / tyres.

If it's cheap enough I might get one just for a blast about.

Major disappointment ;)

ML

I agree.

I think if this was the first buggy we ever saw, we wouldn't mind it. But it's mainly tainted by the fact it tramples on the grave of the original, more realistic model.

What annoys me more is not the fact it's an uglier version of an old car.

It's the fact that Tamiya are so lazy, they are just trading on past glory in some silly ways now. Tamiya seems like Hollywood at the moment - looking to re-release, rehash, re-boot and re-imagine every past success they have had, because they think it equates to the least R&D + highest return.

Read this: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies...00701-zpvh.html

Instead of re-hashing, they should consider more new "vintage style" models. Take a few risks and it might pay off. The Wolf F1 car is a nice attempt - now do the same with BUGGIES. And not half-hearted Baja-King/Champ **** which are terrible looking cars with stickers for window netting, but cars that actually hark back to the 80s but have new designs. There were thousands of privateer buggies, dakar and baja vehicles to use as a basis.

I look forward to when every single First-100 car has been re-released and they have no choice (if they want a slice of the nostalgic market) to release new models that appeal to collectors and fans of buggy realism.

H.

I agree.

I think if this was the first buggy we ever saw, we wouldn't mind it. But it's mainly tainted by the fact it tramples on the grave of the original, more realistic model.

What annoys me more is not the fact it's an uglier version of an old car.

It's the fact that Tamiya are so lazy, they are just trading on past glory in some silly ways now. Tamiya seems like Hollywood at the moment - looking to re-release, rehash, re-boot and re-imagine every past success they have had, because they think it equates to the least R&D + highest return.

Read this: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies...00701-zpvh.html

Instead of re-hashing, they should consider more new "vintage style" models. Take a few risks and it might pay off. The Wolf F1 car is a nice attempt - now do the same with BUGGIES. And not half-hearted Baja-King/Champ **** which are terrible looking cars with stickers for window netting, but cars that actually hark back to the 80s but have new designs. There were thousands of privateer buggies, dakar and baja vehicles to use as a basis.

I look forward to when every single First-100 car has been re-released and they have no choice (if they want a slice of the nostalgic market) to release new models that appeal to collectors and fans of buggy realism.

H.

Couldn't agree more. Tamiya haven't had anything really "new" for a long while (afaik), it's just rehash after rehash. Yes the re-re's are nice, and yes you can understand them making the most of what they have (like releasing CR01 shells on CC01 chassis'), but I think this one really does take the proverbial biscuit.

The annoying thing is, even with some of their later "rehashes" we've seen what they CAN do, like the DF03-RA rally cars, the DB-01 Mitsubishi Dakar car and the like, so why not, as H says take a gamble and recapture some of the classic looking Baja / Dakar vehicles with modern bits and pieces underneath? Is it any wonder that people are preferring RTR gear, when the iconic kit company are producing stuff like that?

wow

quite surprised that Tamiya have done it pretty much how that shady prototype looked.

i will still buy one, but i will fill in those strange holes, and hunt down narrower arms to bring the track in.

also i thought it was supposed to have the original holiday buggy wheels?

this a strange one, for sure.

still it will be a fun challenge to make it look good. i like a challenge.

So they didn't fix the very fragile non-replaceable roof ? or the roof pillars being very very weak ?, and there's still holes in the body ;)

We don't get original HB / RC10 (!) tyres either (or a grey SRB bumper but that's because of the new chassis) ... this sucks.

Rules me out then, I won't be buying one.

Tamiya are starting to worry me, they seem to care about nearly all their models except the buggies. They couldn't be bothered to put the $$$ up needed to correct the Blitzer Beetled Scorcher, they don't do original real sponsor decals anymore, and now this...

If this was a Leopard 1 A4 tank re-release then they would at least take great care to make it authentic and original wouldn't they? Why doesn't it apply to buggies?

If I'd have been in charge we would have had exact re-releases every time just in the same style as the Top Force one... LOL. Well I can dream.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Humans are funny creatures ;)

Some people made comments about the fact that I listed some Holiday Buggy/Sand Rover items on eBay, which I had been intending to do since the beginning of the year (long before any stiff of this re issue) and said I was profiteering.

One of the things listed was a set of wheels and tyres, which have loads of watchers and not a sniff. That is, until just a few hours after the news came through about the re issue having different wheels and tyres. Hmm, so time to increase the prices on all items that are not being re issued then, methinks. Would that be OK ? B)

Paul.

Ooh, just noticed it is Wandy, I had better accept the offer before he changes his mind ;)

P.

PS : Oh and thanks for taking the offer function seriously. Some people just don't understand it lol!