netsmithUK

Holiday Buggy Rerelease In July

Oh, yes... That did look nasty. Not only is it yet another Impreza, the wheels looked totally wrong... That was a stop-gap measure by Tamiya to make a 'rally' car, shortly before they came up with the DF03-RA.

- James

LOL, that would be a 4 year 'stop-gag' in this case. B) Me thinks they were more interested in shifting TL01s than anything else.

Same story with the HB here: launch a 'new' model for as little investment as possible. With the global economy with the way it is at the moment, you can bet some cost cutting is going on at Tamiya Inc.

-S

LOL, that would be a 4 year 'stop-gag' in this case. B) Me thinks they were more interested in shifting TL01s than anything else.

Same story with the HB here: launch a 'new' model for as little investment as possible. With the global economy with the way it is at the moment, you can bet some cost cutting is going on at Tamiya Inc.

-S

It was supposed to be a limited edition, and it wasn't quite that long between the TL01RA and DF03RA kits... I think it was Tamiya testing the market for a rally touring car chassis.

But yes, making it based on the TL01 and sticking buggy wheels and 2004 Impreza shell in it made it very cheap for Tamiya, yet another 'parts bin special'.

- James

Crikey... I know taste is a personal thing, but the Striker and Neo Falcon can't hold a candle to the sleek Dyna Storm and Top Force. Are you a fan of the Nichimo Luminous, by chance?

i was only joking.

I can't recall if these shots have been provided in the thread already (too lazy to look through it again?) but for interest...

HolidayFugly1.jpg

HolidayFugly2.jpg

yip Loaded,thats the pic that started the whole show (freakshow?)

that pic made me say "surely not?"

the latest pic made me say "surely not?"

the pic of a Kyosho 1/8 UltimaDB made me say "why couldnt it be Tamiya?" B)

Maybe thats whats missing.

if the HB was to be re-released so far from the orig(cosmeticly),maybe the shell should have been "scaled up" to cover the DT02 chassis better.like a short course truck shell kinda idea.

then the wheel arches would be over the wheels..instead of waving at them from a distance.

a new breed of 1/8 ep Holiday Buggy..we may have been less shocked at the departure from the original,if we were getting a whopping great big one...oooh matron

I still do like the looks of the 2010 HB, but before falling to sleep last night it struck me... Dunno if I'm the only one who thinks this but...

disney_62.gifheader_58470.jpg

.. it lookes like Goofys headshape...

The Holiday Goofy

Did anyone else notice they had to turn the front shocks upside down to fit through the holes in the body??

I dont think its a good idea to do this with an oil filled aftermarket shock.

Strange car. But probably a laugh to drive after all! B)

Did anyone else notice they had to turn the front shocks upside down to fit through the holes in the body??

I dont think its a good idea to do this with an oil filled aftermarket shock.

Strange car. But probably a laugh to drive after all! B)

I wouldn't worry about the oil leaking as they look like friction dampers to me.

James

oil dampers are ok when fitted upside down

The final nail is in the coffin ... our worst fears are confirmed ... it's on the japanese site too. B)

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/news/newitems/index.htm

I don't expect the shops to order large quantities of this release, so maybe it will end up being even cheaper if the idea doesn't take off with the non-vintage crowd ...

And the really sad part about that page? Look at all the OTHER cars on it. All scale beauties that we've come to expect from the Big T.

Has anyone got a DT-02 and a Sand Rover body just to see what the two look like when mated together??

Has anyone got a DT-02 and a Sand Rover body just to see what the two look like when mated together??

SSSHHHHHhhh..... dont give em any ideas! B)

Had a thought....£85 for a driver figure cowboy head.thats got the be the most expensive brand new Tamiya part to-date. B)

out of curiousity...

its been touched on before,but the material of the shell?

without causing offence (ive never owned/handled an orig) and im at a loss to describe it any better.....is the plastic more of a Tupperware bendy flexy than a tap tap hard plastic?

is that why its hard to paint...an unavoidable flex and paint "shatters" from the surface?

just wondered.

out of curiousity...

its been touched on before,but the material of the shell?

without causing offence (ive never owned/handled an orig) and im at a loss to describe it any better.....is the plastic more of a Tupperware bendy flexy than a tap tap hard plastic?

is that why its hard to paint...an unavoidable flex and paint "shatters" from the surface?

just wondered.

Yeah, tupperware's not a bad description - the HB shell's material is usually referred to as polythene - think flip-top bins, washing up bowls or top end resealable food containers (Addis etc) and you won't be far out

It is more of the 'Tupperware' lid sort of deal. It is actually polyethylene, which is plastic bag material. I have always thought that Tamiya recycled Tesco carrier bags.

P.

Holiday Fugly Body Material

thank you both...so even the pinching action of picking the shell up could undo paint that hadnt been "scrubbed in"...

ah well guess the first time buyer wont be too fussed that he/she cant get hold of any Tamiya paint then...win-win? B)

Sand Rover on this chassis? Methinks not....

holida10.jpg

Wandy, that's a HB clone isn't it?

It is indeed :)

Is it? Must admit I was wondering why the shell was red underneath too. It's chassis is identical to the original though isn't it?