netsmithUK

Holiday Buggy Rerelease In July

You're on the list too then :)

Sorry about the mis-credit - I read your post, but missed that little gem :lol:

Ta. And yes, it was buried in that super long post... I mean, who posts pages and pages of ranting about old toy plastic cars? I mean... Oh. Badword.

- J

This is exactly how people end up adopting the ugliest, mangiest skinny dog in the pound just because they start to feel sorry for it.

Remember, a Holiday Buggy 2010 is for life, not just for Christmas...

- J

- J

PMSL!

I am really looking forward to getting one - slap a 540 in it and bash it at the local skate park :) With no shell to paint it will be a quick and simple build too :lol:

Ta. And yes, it was buried in that super long post... I mean, who posts pages and pages of ranting on toy plastic cars? I mean... Oh. Badword.

- J

that post was awesome.

it's been a while since someone took a post of mine on a forum and ragged it to bits paragraph by paragraph.

which is surprising really, as i tend to run my mouth a lot!

- J

Yeah, but the roof will be off by boxing day :lol:

- J

because no-one in their right mind would buy a used one? hahahahaha

You can add me to the list of those who are giving this kit a thumbs up and will definitely buy one. After quickly coming to terms with the initial disappointment that it is not a re-release I came to realise that this car will have a charm and personality of it's own.

Not that I don't understand the anger vented at Tamiya for the manner in which they have presented this car. It is unacceptable, and really quite cynical, that they have marketed the car in the manner in which they have done whereby they have hinted that it somehow resembles the original. The "same ribbed front & spiked rear tyres" comment was extraordinarily whimsical and clearly announced to draw the vintage fans & collectors in. If....and this is the big question....they wanted this car to resemble the original as closely as possible whilst offering good modern performance then it is simply not good enough that they ignored the wheels & tyres and made no effort to reduce the track. It's all very well creating something out of nothing in a bid to offload a boatload of unwanted DT-02 chassis components but, as a company famous for it's attention to detail, they still have a responsibility to show respect to the original design and the people who are passionate about it. The bonnet holes though really are not an issue IMO.

However what if the company have deliberately left the original wheels & tyres off and kept the track wide in order to create a Mk2 Holiday Buggy with a distinct design of it's own? It's a perfectly feasible idea in theory but the problem is that it hasn't been marketed as such. If they really wanted to do that then there should have been no mention whatsoever of the word "original" in the marketing blurb.

For me, where they have really got it wrong is in giving it the "Holiday Buggy" name. They could have dropped the bodyshell on the DT-02 chassis, painted it completely differently and given it a name in the spirit of the 1980's whereby a car was named after a creature...how about a yellow & black livery and call it "The Wasp"??...or a dark grey livery and call it "The Wolf". If they had done this I honestly think the members on here who are up in arms would instead be in raptures, giving kudos to Tamiya for yet another little nod to their 1980's golden era. The fact that a modified Holiday Buggy body had been used would be largely ignored as being an issue and it most certainly would not matter a jot to new customers getting into the hobby for the 1st time as they simply would have no clue that a Holiday Buggy ever existed.

So my advice to those cheesed off would be this: Forget about any connection that this car may have with the original and look at the potential that it has in it's own right. It may be the product of a cynical waste offloading exercise but Tamiya have plenty of form of doing so many times before previously...even in the so called halcyon days of the 1980s.

Now chin up and prepare yourselves for the forthcoming FAV, Wild One, Astute & Bruiser. All of which will be genuine re-releases. ;):)

Agreed.

Prev models...Blitzer Beetle re-used the Monster Beetle shell that was re-used from the Sand Scorcher...but each model had its own name

Avante MKII...bit naughty initially,but turned out it was a mini JR 4WD

ALL the re-re's so far..enough straight up similarity to justify the re-use of the original name.complete with redone parts in the spirit of the orig.

HB 2010..none of above

the SS2010 carried the 2010 part in its description but not on the box etc...Avante 2001 was diff cos it wasnt 2001 when it came out! ;)

will others get the same?

Bruiser...on a M05ra? but its cool cos its the Bruiser 2010?!

even little things like the wheel/tire description,were misleading on the HB 2010 blurb..guess that doesnt help?

Dunno, hopefully they'll get to compare the sales of a pukka rere against the Brokeback Buggy and realise 'authentic' might be better than ka-ching

I really can't think of a body more mismatched to a chassis - even the uggo cars that always get slated as soon as anyone mentions ugly (Striker, Sonic Fighter etc.) did at least suit the chassis they were on - I reckon someone ordered the wrong part number, 10,000 Holiday Buggy shells were made, and it's now the ex-buyer's job to shift them :)

When you see Kyosho bring out summat like this, you gotta wonder what the Tamiya 'boffins' are working on apart from yet another M chassis :)

read the last sentence...it was posted a week ago.

then look here ...M05ra

ive had a gap of bout 15 years from the hobby ,but ive been back into Tamiya for a few years since then.

I could not beleive my eyes when i discovered the Re-re's..i was in absolute awe.loved it!

Im not a fan boy and i certainly love Tamiya stuff and like Kyosho.

when i left the hobby ,Tamiya were percivering with shaft drive..they had no comp machines but had fantastic scale,and intresting designs.

now im seeing Kyosho doing shaft drive..and interesting scale stuff? ;)

throw in a HUGE departure from the perceived re-re program and you cant help but wonder whats going on?

I think the main problem that most here have with this 're-release' is that it is being sold as a nostalgia kit with the Holiday Buggy name, yet this new version looks to have been lazily and quickly cobbled together. As a result, this release appears to show a lack of deference to the original, and a lack of enthusiasm for the original car.

Putting the car on a new chassis is fine, since the original chassis was rubbish, and not much of a kit with its low parts count. But they at least should have recreated the look of the original. It would not have been hard to include the original wheels/tires and make new 'short arm' suspension parts that narrowed the stance and addressed the front shock tower issues, either with a monoshock at the front (this is a 'beginner' car after all) or smaller shocks.

This is why we ask - Who is this car for? If the car doesn't get the nostalgia buffs enthusiastic, and there are better looking, better performing cars for the same price, not many people are going to buy this kit.

- James

For me, where they have really got it wrong is in giving it the "Holiday Buggy" name. They could have dropped the bodyshell on the DT-02 chassis, painted it completely differently and given it a name in the spirit of the 1980's whereby a car was named after a creature...how about a yellow & black livery and call it "The Wasp"??...or a dark grey livery and call it "The Wolf".

I agree, it could have been named the Holiday Dog, or maybe the Beach Mutt, or maybe the Pound Buggy.... ;)

Still, I might buy one just because I'm a sick, sick man. There is just something about this car that makes me curious.

Someone help me, please. :)

You know it makes sense :unsure: i think its ace and cant wait to get one.

Oh and never diss the rc boys cars. Have you actually got it out me the box? (takes no time to build) They are great, i wish they had made more

Oh and never diss the rc boys cars. Have you actually got it out me the box? (takes no time to build) They are great, i wish they had made more

You know, I did. I run the Wild Ceptor occasionally in stock format, and I put an adapter plate and a 540 in the Blitz and it goes like stink. It handles poorly, but that just makes it more fun to drive. I need to buy new replacement wheels and tires, but haven't been able to find any. :unsure:

I'd take suggestions for non-stock wheels and tires that would fit under the fenders and actually maintain the character of the thing. Regular 1/10 wheels & tires make this already low chassis a real belly-dragger and offroad buggy tires rub the fenders.

Speaking of wheels & tires: I've been wondering what, if any, wheel & tire combo you could use to dress up the Holiday Mutt. Seems like there ought to be some way to make this look more original....

Seems like there ought to be some way to make this look more original....

You could try squinting really hard :unsure:

You could try squinting really hard :D

:lol:

I am! That's what scares me.

I was just reading a review with Fumito Taki (Sand Scorcher, Rough Rider, HotShot, Avante designer) at http://www.ymr.no/bilder/historie/PERSONER...RCracer0001.jpg , see pages 2 and 3 as well at http://www.ymr.no/bilder/historie/PERSONER...RCracer0002.jpg and http://www.ymr.no/bilder/historie/PERSONER...RCracer0003.jpg, and it just hit me to make a comment, he says that he is now in a management position at Tamiya now (September 2008) instead of being a designer anymore, and he directs what goes on in RC buggy development.

How he could have let this HB2010 out in this form is beyond belief to me (the body side of things, I am not so much interested in the chassis).

Also he says that there are 30 people working in his design department. And this is the best that they could come up with ? :lol:

Finally to add insult to injury, he says that Off Road is their biggest selling area!! So their care should at least be centered on getting the off road buggies as good as they can make them, surely. But...

Oh well.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Well its July when it this piece of junk supposed to hit the shelves :mellow:

Well its July when it this piece of junk supposed to hit the shelves :mellow:

30th of September, priced £85. It'll be interesting to see in this age of austerity whether we now see a few very cheap and cheerful releases from Tamiya. Reading that interview above though makes me think the will power is probably there for them to re-release the Avante at some point. Wouldn't be cheap but it would certainly bring more cheer than this Holiday Buggy 're-release'

You'd have thought that they could have used Tamtech VW-style front suspension on this, would look far better than how it is!

You'd have thought that they could have used Tamtech VW-style front suspension on this, would look far better than how it is!

i thought the same in an earlier post,why didnt they do a shrunken shell on a tamtech gb02 chassis..or even and upscaled shell on something like that Kyosho UltimaDB?

You got to wonder?

I read the colum from the RCracer mag above too...how it managed to get so many thumbs up to allow production is beyond me. :mellow:

I heard a rumour that Tamiya will be using
tune in the promo video for the HB2010.

You'll pay for that, matey....... I lasted about 5 seconds, then had to shut it off..... and yet the tune is STILL in my head...

:mellow::)B);):angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: