netsmithUK

Holiday Buggy Rerelease In July

There shoud be an eye popping smiley...

now thats cool...scale chassis..driver figures...even the "engine" block part at the front...cage etc wont help handling/weight but who cares when its that smart looking.....that seems to be Tamiya's formula...but the HB is living proof that those days cant be re-re'd?

I'm a little mystified as to where your facts are coming from, you seem to have inside information - supposition isn't proof :lol:

There's nothing to suggest 'they' looked into the possibilty of remaking the chassis, or that the vintage chassis argument is any more appropriate to the HB than the Hornet or the SRB - Hornet handles like a greased turd on an ice rink and the SRB's too heavy to be competitive with much else other than another SRB - if it can only Race with it's siblings, it's not really that Special :unsure:

Hypothesising over what they could've done had they been making cars since the 60s is a bit pointless, you may as well consider what would've happened had Tamiya gone into making wash basins instead.

Regardless of what body they've put on what chassis before, the body has seemed to be designed to fit it, not bodged (oooh, deja vu vu) - with the possible exception of the Ford Ranger (see box art for conspiracy theory 'evidence')

Didn't you know? Everything I say is fact. :angry:

With respect, I think the Hornet comparison is a poor one. That chassis has a long held reputation by many on here as being near bulletproof, whilst Holiday Buggy owners regularly report on how fragile they are. Handling? Competitiveness? That has nothing at all to do with what has been re-released. All of the cars brought back so far were fairly solid bashers back in the day with no critical design flaws and were brought back only to do the same job once again. Nothing more, nothing less.

Your not seriously suggesting that somewhere in the R&D team meetings, when the reintroduction of the Holiday Buggy was discussed, that the use of the old chassis was not investigated? On the contrary there is plenty of evidence to suggest they looked into whether or not it was viable. Twelve re-releases brought back so far on the original chassis speak for themselves and demonstrate that the company would have done the same with this one if they could. Word on the grapevine is that there are 3 more "huge" re-releases to come over the next 2 years and it will be a major shock if they don't come in near identical form to the original.

If there had been no hypothesising on these threads over the last 8 or so years then there would probably only have been 1/10th of the content. Hypothesising is what the TC forums are all about :lol:

From what I can see the HB body fits perfectly on the DT-02 chassis. Where they have been sloppy is the failure to address the wide track.

In fact based on other makes...is someone at Tamiya missing? im sure ive heard talk of a designer working elsewhere?

Its almost like they got a day release student to do the HB.

and the genius behind that HPI....that should have been Tamiya

Didn't you know? Everything I say is fact. :unsure:

Same here - Houston, we have a problem :angry:

All of the cars brought back so far were fairly solid bashers back in the day with no critical design flaws and were brought back only to do the same job once again. Nothing more, nothing less.

Holiday Buggy owners regularly report on how fragile they are.

Two words then; Roof Supports :lol:

HB roof supports are terribly weak and the polythene used for the shell makes them notoriously difficult to repair.

Once you've snapped both of them, that's it - is replacing the shell any less inconvenient/expensive than replacing a chassis tub?

Once you bought a shell and a new set of decals, you're probably looking at £20-£25?

From what I can see the HB body fits perfectly on the DT-02 chassis. Where they have been sloppy is the failure to address the wide track.

You have seen those two holes where the shell wasn't suitable for the chassis haven't you? :lol:

why go to the troube and cost of box art,PE shell etc?....it all suggest STRONGLY its cash in on re-re for no other reason than cashing in.i dont see any other explanation

Of course it is them cashing in.

Why do you think they brought the other re-releases to the market? Out of sentimentality? Or just to cheese off all of those nasty ebayers making a killing on old technology?

No, they brought them back because they are easy money, a new market driven by the modern phenomenon called the Internet, which allowed like minded enthusiasts to hypothesise over whether the company would listen to them and bring back the old models.

The re-releases are all about 1) Money. 2) Money. 3) Making customers happy.

Wandy

"The re-releases are all about 1) Money. 2) Money. 3) Making customers happy."

to quote Meatloaf...two outta three aint bad! :unsure:

agree its money...its business.just a shame that the HB was a victim of "if its gonna be cheap....lets make sure it smacks of it" :angry:

Two words then; Roof Supports :angry:

HB roof supports are terribly weak and the polythene used for the shell makes them notoriously difficult to repair.

Once you've snapped both of them, that's it - is replacing the shell any less inconvenient/expensive than replacing a chassis tub?

Once you bought a shell and a new set of decals, you're probably looking at £20-£25?

Fair point. However when you think about it if you put any hard bodied car on it's roof then the chances are it's going to be in trouble. And with the body being placed on a hugely better handling chassis the chances of it upending are significantly reduced.

You have seen those two holes where the shell wasn't suitable for the chassis haven't you? :lol:

You know, I honestly don't think they look bad in the slightest. Infact put a cool set of hop up shocks on it and I think it will really enhance the look.

I don't work for Tamiya's Marketing department. Honest. :unsure:

Fair point. However when you think about it if you put any hard bodied car on it's roof then the chances are it's going to be in trouble. And with the body being placed on a hugely better handling chassis the chances of it upending are significantly reduced.

A lot of the other hard bodied cars have windscreens which do add to the strength of the pillars just by being there, apart from the RR, but that's got a replaceable roof/pillars.

Also, 'regular' hard bodies are a lot easier to repair than polythene ones - go cut a tupperware box in half and then find something that'll glue it back together and hold.

Can you imagine the EPIC sucsess if Tamiya applied their magic to that HPI truck?

its all there,the cage ,the drivers ,the scale. if it had Tamiya's detailed body work of say a more "road" style vehicle it would be amazing!

mind you...how would you get the cage round a Super Fighter G?...perhaps holes? :lol:

A lot of the other hard bodied cars have windscreens which do add to the strength of the pillars just by being there, apart from the RR, but that's got a replaceable roof/pillars.

Also, 'regular' hard bodies are a lot easier to repair than polythene ones - go cut a tupperware box in half and then find something that'll glue it back together and hold.

Yes, perhaps they should have looked into making the roof support section a seperate component, like on the Rough Rider. They are certainly not above criticism with this kit.

By the way, that HPI effort does nothing for me. Sure the chassis is nice but the most important part, ie the bodyshell, is awful and represents everything I hate about the majority of the other manufacturer's efforts. A vague looking piece of lexan, formed into the shape of something that resembles about 15 bodyshapes rolled into one. Is it a bird, is it a plane? No, it's an HPI thingymeblob!

Say what you like about the Holiday Buggy bodyshell, but you cannot say it lacks attention to detail.

In fact based on other makes...is someone at Tamiya missing? im sure ive heard talk of a designer working elsewhere?

Its almost like they got a day release student to do the HB.

and the genius behind that HPI....that should have been Tamiya

If you are thinking of Akira Kogawa, he was ex-Kyosho, now working at HPI, he designed Ultima (1987 World Champion) and the Ultima RB (HPI).

If you are thinking of Fumito Taki, I don't know whether he still works for Tamiya. He designed the SRB's but was working there until 2008 but now I don't know where he works.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Yes, perhaps they should have looked into making the roof support section a seperate component, like on the Rough Rider. They are certainly not above criticism with this kit.

By the way, that HPI effort does nothing for me. Sure the chassis is nice but the most important part, ie the bodyshell, is awful and represents everything I hate about the majority of the other manufacturer's efforts. A vague looking piece of lexan, formed into the shape of something that resembles about 15 bodyshapes rolled into one. Is it a bird, is it a plane? No, it's an HPI thingymeblob!

Say what you like about the Holiday Buggy bodyshell, but you cannot say it lacks attention to detail.

That's what stops me buying and SCT for Xmas / Birthday etc., I'm on the edge of buying one but I can't quite ever bring myself to. It's because they are semi scale and not quite close enough to the real thing to tip me over the edge and order one. It's like when I looked at the Traxxas Slash, it's almost but NOT quite the same as the 1:1, i.e. the body is too squat, the cab is too low, the wings don't follow the 1:1 properly, and so on, it's so annoying. So near and yet so far... when will they ever learn LOL. I can't see as how it would take them all that much effort to make it closer to the real ones...

Cheers,

ARG

ah thanks,Live steam mad..i knew someone was on walkabout! :lol:

it seems some of the other brands are showing signs of "Tamiya-ness"..no surprise i guess.Tamiya do it so well and it makes sense to get a cut of the action.

i might seem like im down on the poor Hb2010,im not slating the end result ..its more how it came to be is the problem.

ive kinda got it narrowed down in my mind tho...it seems to be a low cost/risk model that trades abit on the previous re-re's.not that terrible a strategy but not one Tamiya should have even entered into perhaps?

add to the mix some seriously GREAT ideas in r/c from Kyosho and HPI that appear at the same time frame and its all abit of a puzzler why the HB was selected at all (name,style etc)

i must admit its a crazy time for me...when i was younger and had my Grasshopper 2 i wished Tamiya done more racing or performance stuff,now i find i love the scale Tamiya stuff with detail over performance..and the pure race Tamiya's are indistinguishable from any other make??

perhaps simply a change in personal taste,but when the other re-re's were hitting the spot why change the formula?

when the other re-re's were hitting the spot why change the formula?

Bingo. Boy, you said it. Nail on the head.

Simple as.

LOL.

Cheers,

ARG

Maybe the Holiday Buggy cowboy driver put the smack down on Tamiya, said he was sick of all the years of his buggy rolling, the roof collapsing on his head, his hat coming off and his brains coming out, and he demanded that Tamiya widen the track of his car to stop it rolling over? Oh, and make the wheels a pleasing shade of yellow while you're at it.

- James

Maybe the Holiday Buggy cowboy driver put the smack down on Tamiya, said he was sick of all the years of his buggy rolling, the roof collapsing on his head, his hat coming off and his brains coming out, and he demanded that Tamiya widen the track of his car to stop it rolling over? Oh, and make the wheels a pleasing shade of yellow while you're at it.

- James

:lol: Made me laugh!

Good stuff!

ARG

Then you say that you can't see a reason for it's existence.....and then follow that up with "it will help a new generation of youngsters build things". Hey presto, you just answered your own question. :lol:

So you wanted a car that you thought didn't have an ugly body on an ill fitting chassis with ridiculous looking wheels and wide track.....and you then went and bought one of these???

getuserimage.jpg

I know its beautiful isn't it at least its in the 100 and not some half hearted sad attempt at a re re .

Thanks for the kind words on the hilux I knew I made the right descion its a true work of art ,but then again beauty is in the eye of the beholder .

Youngsters can't build things today they have lost the knack and they don't much care either they prefer RTR rubbish,ipods,phones,social networking give a kid a meccanno set and they will just look at you like your some idiot tell them they will need a screwdriver to assemble it and automatically the word gets broken up...... sc r e w dr i v er ....... because they have no idea what one is ,thats generation "Y" as in "why me" "poor me".

Its whatever floats your boat some people like the new Holiday Buggy and some dont .

To all folks who have already ordered or planning to get the Holiday Buggy, please give me some reasons to convince myself that I will want to get this kit? Cheers ...

I dont have a 2WD buggy as I generally dont like buggy shells - there is a decent BMX track near to me that will suit this perfectly - plus it has a 380 motor so when my little lad is a bit bigger it wont be too fast for him - plus when I am not using it I can just admire it - unlike most "blob" buggy shells :lol:

I agree the new HB2010 will find homes..its a good buggy idea.

Tamiya's 2wd chassis design is the way of the TRF201 now. the FF03 has a cosmetically varied entire gearbox from a 201.im in no doubt that a basic version will appear (think Astute to Madcap)

so with this in mind the HB is possibly clearing old stock..fair enough.

but think of it this way...forget how it looks,the holes,the cowboy etc...what if the Brat shell was on top? and it was in a box art style box..and called The Brat? would it be a re-re? would it be acceptable?

Im not a mega fan of the orig HB and i can see why the orig chassis never came back.but why use the name in the style of a re-re? why create a re-re genre then go and upset your own apple cart?

and the beauty is...Tamiya set to gain an RRP of 55-80 quid a piece? not a huge profit margin to lavish over and certainly i dont see Mr Tamiya having "cash fights" with all the extra loot this HB is projected to draw in?

i just dont see where the plus is...for anyone...by using the HB?

i think the name of the buggy is, in this case, denoted by the shell used.

i am sure the profit margins and projected sales have been calculated properly. they seem, as a company, to know what they are doing.

perhaps their main market is not in this country. probably for the best, as it does not seem popular (at least on here!)

try and see the big picture - this cheap low end buggy could be the starting point for a lifetime of rc for some kids. like the grasshopper / hornet etc was to our generation. or at least mine.

The more I look at it the more I realize it is just a fun car much like the grasshopper years ago. Now, I must have one. Especially with that brainless driver :lol: !

Now, I must have one.

You know it makes sense - if it was £200 I would not bother but £65 posted?! Its daft cheap in my book!

Youngsters can't build things today they have lost the knack and they don't much care either they prefer RTR rubbish,ipods,phones,social networking give a kid a meccanno set and they will just look at you like your some idiot tell them they will need a screwdriver to assemble it and automatically the word gets broken up...... sc r e w dr i v er ....... because they have no idea what one is ,thats generation "Y" as in "why me" "poor me".

Yep, I've experienced this first hand ! Today rtr is all the rage - kits are a hassle - it's the way humanity is going ~ people want it now :lol:.

So then - I have pre-ordered my HB 2010 - what hop-ups should I be getting for its DT-02 chassis then? :lol: