netsmithUK

Holiday Buggy Rerelease In July

B)

Yes, if that is the car, it would be a shocker alright. The HB was never the prettiest thing, looking as it does like some weird blend of vintage cars and buggies. But slapping it on a modern chassis (if that's what they're doing) makes this even worse - like one of the oddest contraptions Tamiya has come up with. It will displease vintage fans, and bore modern fans.

H.

Bang on mate ! And the yellow wheels, adds insult to injury...

july_2.jpgjuly_21.jpg

Well, there have been uglier cars ...

Actually, no there hasn't - even my Optima with a fake Grasshopper shell duct taped on is more attractive than that.

Somebody please tell me this is a hoax - that is horrible. The holes in the bodywork for the front strut tops show how much of a lash up it is.

If Tamiya couldn't wear the expense of re-tooling for the original chassis, they could have at least gone for something better - surely the Grasshopper (already re-re'd) would have been a better match? It would still have been wrong, but at least it would have been from a similar period, and the Smoothee front & Padlatrack rears on 5-spokes would have given it a bit of period credibility.

I can't see that selling enough to justify a Sand Rover re-re, but in the unlikely event it does, I suppose that'll be the original body on a DT-02 too ... in which case at least I'd be able to ditch the chassis & put the body on a old Holiday Buggy.

Still, if there is one positive aspect, this could be the first re-re that causes the prices of the originals to go up.

Just in case I haven't made my opinion abundantly clear, I'll close with a couple of vomit noises - Huey! Ralph!

Wow, those holes in the shell for the shocks are really gonna sell it!

Major fugly, and I actuallly liked the original more than the Sand Rover

Perhaps they'll stick the SR on a TT01 chassis next B)

If the final release looks anything like the pics above, then they should've left it and rere'd something else - Someone needs a shovel in the plums for that monster.

No doubt they over-produced the DT02 chassis and some poor soul got the job of selling them off.

Still, buy HB shell, get free ragger chassis could be one sales pitch ;)

We need a spew smiley

my various gods have forsaken me........shudder....... PURGE WITH FIRE!

seriously that is a travesty, mock up or not.

Jim

:blink:

BLIMEY!

I'm all for putting it on a new chassis, as old chassis are junk, but the holes in the bonnet!!!

The thing is, the shell will be no good for those who want a restoration as I dont think the holes in the bonnet will be that good.

Positives..

well the wheelbase is ok, when they fit the original wheels it will look ok, and it will drive 1000's time better than the original..

Its also a prototype (or most likely a fake.. the wheels are used???), so alot can happen yet.. but if I was in charge I wouldn't have shown a prototype pic that was that early on :)

I'll still buy one though as I dont believe thats an official pic

my various gods have forsaken me........shudder....... PURGE WITH FIRE!

seriously that is a travesty, mock up or not.

Jim

Yes it's a disappointment that it isn't going to be a 100% reissue, but think in a minority of one as I'm kind of glad they've done it with a slight twist with using a different chassis. It is going to be a whole lot more fun running it. And I very much doubt they'll have those yellow wheels on it - Larbut's post said "Features the same ribbed front and spike rear tires as the original." - would the original tyres fit on those wheels? So once it's all painted it'll look a lot better, still not as good as the original, but ok as long as it's cheap. If it goes for more than £100, can't see them selling many.

:)

PS - the worst part of it for me is those holes in the bonnet, but hey there's more to worry about in life than that.

EDIT - Whilst writing Qatmix wrote something very similar - wow, I'm no longer the minority of one that I thought I would be. :blink:

What a horrible piece of junk it almost blinded me :blink:

Cutting holes in the bonnet for the shock towers looks like some backyard chop shop job .

They can shove that where the sun dosen't shine !!!

God please no...

It will probably drive a million times better than the old one - but isn't that part of the appeal? I'd have one - if it was like the original, breakable strut towers and all :blink:

I'll still buy one though

Yes, me too, even though it's pig ugly. We have to be a little careful - don't want Tamiya to get complacent.

Filler will sort the bonnet holes. I wonder if it's a different kind of plastic, and more easily painted ?

That looks terrible. I never had one of these and was looking forward to getting one.

are they even official tamiya photo's? looks more like a homer to me. When its out i think the big T will do a far better job than these pics suggest and putting the shell on a more capable chassis will do it no harm as we get great/real looks on a chassis that goes well which is what a lot of us want as we just dont like the looks of modern space buggies, much as i love re-re's a lot of them dont really drive well at all.

just picture a club race with a brushless powered Holiday Buggy on the grid

very disapointed, i was really looking forward to the holiday buggy re-re, would have gone great with my sand scorcher re-re. if i did buy one it would be by mail order as i would hate for anyone to see me walking out of my hobby shop with that in my hands. just plain ugly.

It can't be a fake, surely. Who the heck is gonna cut holes in a non-cracked shell just to make a hoax?

I wonder if it's possible to fill holes / major cracks in a PolyEthene shell successfully? How would I go about doing it? i.e. what filler to use? Has anyone tried?

Cheers,

Alistair G.

Reminds me of this even more now;

img24756_05012009214632_1.jpg

On an IFS chassis the new HB wouldn't be too bad, hopefully the holes are only to check body fit

Shame they didn't make more of an effort with the wheels and tyres (yet)

img24756_02102008234123_5.jpg

What a piece of JUNK. And people think The Striker looks stupid.If somebody wanted a Holiday Buggy body mounted on a DT-02 they could do it themselves,not force us to look at this complete waste of Tamiya`s plastic. I hate it!! Im going to the Shimbashi shop tomorrow and the will be lucky if I dont strangle the manager before i leave :blink:

Im going to the Shimbashi shop tomorrow and the will be lucky if I dont strangle the manager before i leave :blink:

LOL !

It can't be a fake, surely. Who the heck is gonna cut holes in a non-cracked shell just to make a hoax?

That was my first thought Alistair but those pictures surely must be a homemade.

In fact I am surprised people are getting so het up by the picture as there's no way that I can believe those pics have come from Tamiya at all. I don't know anything about that website they came from but I would suggest that model has been hastily built up by someone who wants to reveal a "scoop".

I am sure that when Tamiya are in production of new/rere cars their production budget stretches a bit more than printing the word "sample" on a bit of paper, cutting it out, and then laying next to a crappy looking car. And since when has Tamiya ever released "prototype" pictures like that in the past?

That was my first thought Alistair but those pictures surely must be a homemade.

Looks like a pukka prototype for me; look at the very front of the bonnet, normally there are two holes where the front body clip attaches. On this it is smooth.

Just found an example for comparison purposes in the showrooms here --> http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp...008122652_1.jpg

Looks like a pukka prototype for me; look at the very front of the bonnet, normally there are two holes where the front body clip attaches. On this it is smooth.

Just found an example for comparison purposes in the showrooms here --> http://www.tamiyaclub.com/pictureframe.asp...008122652_1.jpg

I agree, its a weird one, as i mentioned before I find it hard to imagine those are official pics as why would they show something unpainted etc? Its not like its a trf kit. But then an unpainted HB shell would be £80ish so its an expensive hoax

Well, if noone has mentioned it before, I believe it's confirmed: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58470

DT02 chassis, model number 58470.

And it looks horrible... (sorry) This is supposedly a prototype, though...

july_2.jpgjuly_21.jpg

-Lars

Actually I am pretty sure it's just me but I find that combination rather attractive to look at, it's all that suspension travel I think I like!

It looks pretty good to me :blink: but they have to get rid of the stupid looking holes in the bonnet / hood :)

Cheers,

Alistair G.

I think that blasphemy is the official re-release:

http://tamiyablog.com/

I think maybe with a different set of wheels & tires it may have some "potential" but that may be stretching it :blink: . On the plus side, it will probably be inexpensive and a good basher.

july_2.jpgjuly_21.jpg

I just had to post it agian. To remind you of how ugly it really is.

This model looks just terrible.