ldgasp

New Tamiya Options

Hello,

I am looking for a new car just to bash around with. Looking for preferrably a 4wd. Right now I have a Hornet and a HPI 5B. Just looking for something to fill in the gap. Any ideas? Thx

TRF501x is pricey for a basher and is belt drive.

If you want a sealed shaft drive 4WD buggy, forget Tamiya... HPI Cyber 10b. Very well made buggy. I'm sure you would be familiar with the quality of HPI with the Baja B5.

I was hoping for a Tamiya recommendation.

For off road bashing, the DB01 is the way to go (either Durga or Baldre). If your gonna race, have a look at the DB01-R (lots of hop-ups)...

For on-road bashing, the TA05, TA05IFS, or TA05-ver2 are the way to go. It's a great functioning car right out of the box. If your gonna race, have a look at the IFS-R version with lots of hopups.

I was hoping for a Tamiya recommendation.

get a plasma edge. cheap to buy. easy to build. don't forget to buy bearings!

I am also looking to buy my first Tamiya - an off road buggy. But there are so many to choose from.

It's just for bashing in the garden and want to keep it standard so performance is not an issue. Which models should I avoid as I don't want anything that is too 'toy' like.

What are the popular models that you guys have and recommend.

My budget is about £150.

Cheers.

first tamiya?

can't go wrong with a hornet

great 2wd performance, good old school buggy looks (and handling!!)

should be able to get the lot for 150 all in

again, don't forget bearings!!

He wants a 4WD preferably and already has a Hornet :lol: If he takes a look at the Boomerang, they are selling a bit cheaper now than before too.

Paul.

He wants a 4WD preferably and already has a Hornet :lol: If he takes a look at the Boomerang, they are selling a bit cheaper now than before too.

Paul.

the OP does, and already has a hornet

but Tamiyaho - it's his first Tamiya! with a £150 all in budget

By the way, I always wanted to ask, is 30cm the length of your... buggy?

Paul.

By the way, I always wanted to ask, is 30cm the length of your... buggy?

Paul.

30cms is an alias for my ebay name and the other name I use on the internet :lol:

I have been through the various forums and websites for more details of the individual models and have selected the following as potential purchases:

Classic re-releases:

Hornet

Grasshopper

Rising Fighting

DT-02:

Desert Gator

Sand Viper

DF-02:

Gravel Hound

Rising Storm

Plasma Edge

DF-03:

Dark Impact

Keen Hawk

My first buy will be from the classic re-release range. Will be looking to buy one model out of each group over the next 6 months. My main criteria is a decent quality kit that is not a 'cheap and nasty' toy like car. As stated in my earlier post happy to spend upto £150. (excluding radio gear/batteries etc.).

Which models would you guys pick from each group?

Hopefully your comments and views will help the op to decide on which model to go for from the 4WD group of buggies.

Thanks.

As stated in my earlier post happy to spend upto £150. (excluding radio gear/batteries etc.).

aha no longer £150 all in?

go for a boomerang.

the dt's and df's you list are essentially the same (of each type), but with different bodies - so that choice is yours

from the classic re-re's you put - i would go for the hornet.

but as you want to spend £150 excluding radio gear etc, see if you can get a boomerang

www.stellamodels.net is a good place to shop.

they will do you a boomerang posted (to the UK) for about 130 quid. get the bearings too!!!

aha no longer £150 all in?

go for a boomerang.

the dt's and df's you list are essentially the same (of each type), but with different bodies - so that choice is yours

from the classic re-re's you put - i would go for the hornet.

but as you want to spend £150 excluding radio gear etc, see if you can get a boomerang

www.stellamodels.net is a good place to shop.

they will do you a boomerang posted (to the UK) for about 130 quid. get the bearings too!!!

+1, Boomerang is a great car, I have loads of them :lol: You need 1150 and also thrust bearings.

P.

In the classics, get a Hopper.

DT02's Desert Gator as it has bearings standard in the kit.

DF02 I like the Gravel Hounds decals so I'm sold on that plus it has bearings in the kit.

I haven't had the pleasure of having a DF03 yet so I can't comment there.

A Boomerang and Hot Shot should be in all collections but all good things comes to those who wait.

Henk :lol:

Clod buster B)

i like the way you think.

for the op i'd suggest a db01, and for the guy who want's his first tamiya HORNET all the way.

The Hornet is a favourite here so will pop in my lhs this week to have a look at this model.

What servo do you guys recommend? Again anything entry level would be adequate for me.

Thanks

The Hornet is a favourite here so will pop in my lhs this week to have a look at this model.

What servo do you guys recommend? Again anything entry level would be adequate for me.

Thanks

an acoms techniplus will be just the job for this car.

i think i mentioned before . . . get the bearing set! only about 10 quid

post pics when it's built!

an acoms techniplus will be just the job for this car.

i think i mentioned before . . . get the bearing set! only about 10 quid

post pics when it's built!

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=...mp;ItemID=28460

The servo you referred to is so cheap when compared with other brands. Happy to spend a bit more if there are others that are of better quality and more reliable.

Any other recommendations?

Unless you have a big heavy car, or super fast car requiring quick reactions (which most of us don't have) in other words a garden basher with regular sized wheels and regular speed, you can't go wrong with these servos. I have loads of them in regular cars and never had a problem. Some big wheeled heavy cars like the TXT need a high torque metal geared servo, but we aren't talking about those...

P.