mr. Rallying

Masking Tape

What kind of masking tape do you prefere when painting multi coloured bodies? I'm having issues with bleed throughs where tapes overlap eachother and tapes lifting in the edges. I've so far used common tapes that car painters use like the TESA tapes.

What kind of masking tape do you prefere when painting multi coloured bodies? I'm having issues with bleed throughs where tapes overlap eachother and tapes lifting in the edges. I've so far used common tapes that car painters use like the TESA tapes.

Hi best thing to do is visit your local car paint dealer and with that i mean a paint mixing centre/supplyer to trade and get your self some good fine line tape which is used on full scale cars to paint on graphics and twin colour schemes.

Here is a link for example so you know what to look for.

http://www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk/category/fine-line-tape

Cheers Rizzo

Why not liquid masking? I paint like @#$# and it made my most recent shell turn out quite well.

mr. Rallying....any low tack tape is great.

the blue 3M painter's tape has worked wonders for me!

49fe9a38-3e30-4d79-8a2b-661fce089ba2.jpg

where one piece meets another...it's never a bad idea to dry rub the edge so there is a nice seal between the two. and on that note...it's always best to have some kinda tool to rub at the edge of the tape to give the best edges.

all the rally cars in my showroom were masked with the 3M blue tape. i even stopped using the window masks that come with the bodies since the 3M allows a bit more room for mistakes since i trim it myself.

+1 for Tamiya masking tape. Best tape I've used.

I use the Tamiya tape for masking edges, and a cheaper tape for 'filling in' larger areas to be masked after edging with Tamiya tape.

- James

The TESA tapes I've been using is a "pro" tape. I've used both the striping tape and the regular one for filling between the striping tape. I'd like to try Tamiyas own but I thought it looked abit rough in the edges. I might be wrong??

another +1 for the Tamiya tape

it is the best i have used, for fine line masking

maybe the Tamiya / modelling spray is just very thin, but it seems to creep under even the good quality masking tape by other brands.

I use the Tamiya tape for masking edges, and a cheaper tape for 'filling in' larger areas to be masked after edging with Tamiya tape.

- James

Thats exactly what I do - since discovering Tamiya masking tape my painting results have vastly improved!

big +1 for the 3M tape. REally good stuff and likely less $$$ than the tamiya.

for liquid mask, Bob Dively's