Sign in to follow this  
Real Wild One

Ta03 R-s Chassis And And Gpm Hop Ups

Hi Guys and Girls

I need some help.

I've just purchased a second hand Porsche GT1 which is based on the TA03 R-S chassis, which i intend to use for a Street Scorcher project I'm about to embark on.

Looking over the chassis I can see it is in need of a few new parts....shock absorbers, shock tower mounts, front knuckles...and more.

Having trawled through eBay, parts are available in some cases, but mostly in Black Plastic, not grey, which is the colour of my chassis.

This has started me looking elsewhere and I came across Asiatees who sell alloy GPM Hop Up parts for the TA03.

Having looked through their bits and pieces they sell, I am now considering really making this a 'BLING' chassis and repacing all the suspension arms, knuckles (wheel Hub Carriers), shock absorbers and also suspention mount turrets with all aluminium pieces. Will also replace all the A arms, camber arms and sterring linkages at the same time.

By using their products I basically source all the new parts I need to repair this chassis whilst at the same time making my soon to be street scorcher look great. It isn't my intention to run this car a whole lot once its finished, its just the project itself that appeals to me and admiring it once its finished, so damage to the alloy parts through accidental mishaps etc isn't really a concern for me.

My question is......if you have any experience of these parts, good or bad, as well as Asiatees I'd love to hear it because I'm about to part with almost $300 for parts which is a big expenditure, so I need to know if all these parts are gonna fit together and work well with one another.

Looking forward to some info from you guys...and girls

Thanks in advance.

I know you say you're not worried about the damage to the aluminum parts since you're not planning on running the car often, but based on what I've read here, it seems your biggest issue would be with damage to the non-aluminum parts the new parts bolt into since they'll just transfer the force and the weaker material will give. Specifically of concern are the A arms and steering knuckles.

I know you say you're not worried about the damage to the aluminum parts since you're not planning on running the car often, but based on what I've read here, it seems your biggest issue would be with damage to the non-aluminum parts the new parts bolt into since they'll just transfer the force and the weaker material will give. Specifically of concern are the A arms and steering knuckles.

Hi

The A arms and the knuckles are going to be replaced with alloy ones. It's the front knuckles made of plastic which are already cracked.

Anyone with specific experience of GPM hop up parts I'd love to hear what you think of them.

This car is soo loose with all this Tamiya stuff and I'm also hoping the alloy parts will help to reduce a lot of the slop in the drive train and steering.

I'd replace the plastic chassis with the FRP conversion first then add the GPM parts. As for the parts themselves I like the GPM parts as the quality and durability seem to be fairly good. I'm in the process of building a hopped-up TA03R-S myself. Asiatees don't seem to have the right colors of parts in stock for my project so I have to wait until they restock them.

Hi

The A arms and the knuckles are going to be replaced with alloy ones. It's the front knuckles made of plastic which are already cracked.

Anyone with specific experience of GPM hop up parts I'd love to hear what you think of them.

This car is soo loose with all this Tamiya stuff and I'm also hoping the alloy parts will help to reduce a lot of the slop in the drive train and steering.

Actually what I meant is if the alloy arms are bolted into the gearbox (whatever other plastic part it attaches to) then the arms won't break, but the gearbox (plastic part) might. Depending on how hard the non alloy part is to replace, you might not want that.

Actually what I meant is if the alloy arms are bolted into the gearbox (whatever other plastic part it attaches to) then the arms won't break, but the gearbox (plastic part) might. Depending on how hard the non alloy part is to replace, you might not want that.

Thanks Sayer

Yes, I appreciate what you mean. I used to race a Yokomo MR4TC and used some hopped up parts on that, but like you say, when they bend, I got sick of all the carbon reinforced plastic parts that they were attached to getting ******ed at the same time, so in the end I just kept a large supply of plastic A arms etc and just replaced them when required, which resulted in less damage to everything else.

My racing days are over now, but this TA03 needs parts and I've decided to try and make it into a real custom Street Scorcher that is built for performance and speed with nice quality hopped up parts, good esc, High Performance Motor etc etc. Yet despite all this, it may see a few hot straight line starts, but it won't see much else except the inside of a display case.

It seems GPM sell all the parts I need, both because I have parts that NEED replacing and because they will help to enhance the model.

A FRP chassis plate or a carbon one doesn't really suit my needs for this prject because I will be fitting this chassis with a Blitzer Beetle Body shell and I need to fabricate front nudge bars and a rear faux engine to the back. I need the plastic tub chassis that is there to hang all this stuff off via fabricated attachments, so the real 'skinny' treatment isn't the purpose behind this project. It's got to look good, look fast, and have a bit of muscle under its skin. I'm not trying to build a race replica or competition car, but I appreciate the sentiment all the same.

It sounds like GPM parts certainly don't disappoint....maybe I just need to start picking a colour for the alloy...blue or silver. Right now I'm leaning towards Silver with the odd Carbon Fibre Part.

Any other GPM part users feel free to chip in, particularly if you've used Asiatees

Regards all

Real Wild One....for the TA03R-S, F-S, and R, i had ordered lower arms, and the towers. two pairs, in both silver and blue, to go on two cars.

they fit well but i ended up tossing the suspension shafts that came with the arms since they were oversized and didn't fit in the mounts on the gear box. i'm not sure if that's been fixed but there's that.

the other issue i came upon was that the nylon inserts in the arms, that the shafts ride on, are too small. i ended up having to cut one sus. shaft with a cutting wheel leaving a razor sharp edge and punching that through the insert. worked well.

4629499637_d82402d405.jpg

4630100414_d806c3c9e7_m.jpg

4629500129_e66e66b57c.jpg

4629500071_623b54a62f.jpg

1008574091_2654447240_b.jpg

the cars were used for rally purposes and they held up. nothing bent or broke. they did get beat bad since they were run in gravel a lot but no issues.

if play develops between the shaft and the insert there are several extra inserts included in the bag.

the finish was textured and not smooth.

the shipping was quick and the price was fair.