hardb8

Anyone Have Any Info On These Srb Bits?

Stumbled across these today.They appear to be genuine Tamiya spares to my untrained eye.Scorcher shells and wheels sets in both chrome and gold.

I seen there were Rough Rider wheels available also.I only seen the RR wheels in gold though.I didn't come across any shells for the RR,In either chrome or gold.

I'm just looking for more info from someone who might know more,And be able to confirm that they are genuine,And will be available soon.

Cheers. Rick. :blink:

post-18943-1277620539_thumb.jpg

post-18943-1277620593_thumb.jpg

post-18943-1277620604_thumb.jpg

post-18943-1277620613_thumb.jpg

post-18943-1277620623_thumb.jpg

I have been plating these parts for over a year now (Blitzer beetle shells and just did a batch of Scorcher ones too)

I am puzzled, because they look genuine and they definitely aren't mine repackaged. I don't know of anyone else doing them and have no idea who would decide to repackage something into Tamiya bags if they weren't original. Perhaps the work of a distributor with permission to use Tamiya tab tops? I really don't know.

I would ask the folowing questions though:

Why is there no box for the body? Why is it just the body? What is the point of a bodyshell with no nosecone and sunroof at the very least?

$70 for the bodyshell alone seems steep considering they are Tamiya parts. Sure, my complete set costs around $150, but I make 5 at a time and I have to buy the parts and ship them in, this is not a large scale operation for me! Tamiya have the parts and the facilities for large scale mass production.

This is my set (for comparison, you can see it isn't the same)

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

OK, I have found out a little information, they are 'special event' parts, which means extremely limited release just within the racing/distribution community. Well known Japanese sellers may well have bought a few, but they weren't cheap. The price on the packet isn't retail, it is the actual price, meaning YEN8000, or nearly $100 for the body and wheels. Stock limited, availability difficult, not to be sold in other markets than Japan (except of course direct sales through eBay etc). A few years ago, Tamiya did exactly the same limited release with the Mountaineer body and they ended up selling for nearly the price of old NIB Toyota Hilux bodysets (well, about 70% of the price, or $400+, which is a lot for new plastic, especially considering the printed price was 7000YEN, or about $80 for the items)

I don't know more than this for now, except to say, Tamiya, come up with some original ideas already! Stop copying mine (Jeez, first my carbon plates, now this)

My last comment is a joke, btw :)

I suspect if they hit eBay some time, they will be priced about $200 including shipping or more, my reason for this is that is they cost nearly $100 to buy and they need to be shipped and are rare, with eBay fees and mark up, plus competition with mine, they will probably sell for a bit more, but truthfully I have no idea!

Paul.

Tamiya, come up with some original ideas already! Stop copying mine (Jeez, first my carbon plates, now this)

Paul.

Looks like Tamiya are playing you at your own game :)

I am an insignificant speck on the landscape :)

By all accounts, they didn't make truckloads of these either.

They didn't do the Hotshot wheels in gold though.

P.

I think loaded's chrome shells look better! But the tamiya tab tops look sweet.