Singapore_959

Fav Vs Wo Rear Hubs - Same Width?

The rear hubs are different for the WO (long/wide black) and the FAV wheels (brown/wide circle). To put FAV wheels n tires on a WO:

is it a direct swap - (fav hubs replacing the WO ones, and then bolt on, or are the axle lengths diff also)?

If yes, looks like it makes the car narrower at the rear, is there room for any spacers?

Was a bit surprised when I started thinking about this. The FAV tires are so much softer and available (same as brat). :)

hi singapore 959, im sure you hit the nail on the head with the width aspect.

instead of using the wild one long black wheel adapter,you can simply fit the fav thin circle type.

BUT as you mention it makes the rear narrower as the wild one has wider front arms to compliment the wider rear.

if you plan using fav type at the rear you may need the fav front arms too.ive had a go at both front arm types but the damper mount on the fav is different from the wild one,the metal folded part that the base of the damper attaches to.

if you plan running rough rider (buggy champ) or scorcher (grasshoper) front wheels it may not be that noticeable if the width is different front to back?

Thanks for that. ;) The front is staying the same. The WO tires grip ok on tarmac.

No one else able to comment? :D

Here's another question :

What other wheels can the FAV/Brat rear tires be mounted on?

The only difference in the rears of the two cars (as far as I've been able to establish) is the hub. The older style 3 piece rims (both scorcher and RR) have a substantial chunk of plastic that forms the centre. The later wild one/fox/super hornet rims have very little depth at all. I regularly interchange a set of Super Hornet hubs with the FAV style flat adapters depending on what style of rim I want to run on my FAVs and wild one.

I'm yet to find any other tyre that fits the RR rears *nicely*. You can fit SS paddles and frog spikes, but its an effort and the side wall deforms a bit. I have a set of Rhino rims and tyres that are a good looking replacement, but I picked them up a long time ago and these days period after market rims are getting quite pricey. I've always thought that a mini-style rim mounted on Wild Willy hex adapters might work, it would certainly open up your options. I've just been too lazy to find out.

The other option is 1.8" striker/falcon rims. I've been thinking that you should be able to squeeze 1.9" crawler tyres on and have them work pretty well. Not too sure if you could find skinny enough ones for front though.

Cheers

Dean

hello,the only Tamiya wheels ive seen that can take fav/brat tyres are on one of those boys 4wd cars.thunder blitz or somthing like that.

the tyres come pre-glued on the wheel,so im guessing that if you could get hold of just the rims they should work...but im sure they are hex fit so you would need the frog alloy wheel adapter....

looks like Tamiya like to make everything nice and simple eh? :rolleyes:

just had a peek at the Tamiya book.its the Wild Ceptor that has the wheel/tyre combo that mite be useful...wild ceptor? oh well

...just thought...imagine little timmy with his wild ceptor....in the days before the re-releases.

his little car is sporting 4 sand blaster tyres...hes in the park playing...a pile of vintage tamiya collectors charge out from the nearest bush and abduct his car and rob its wheels!lol!

Just as a little note - I bought a set of Wild ceptre wheels and tyres last year and despite them being from the same mould they were a very hard compound, they ended up doing shelf duty ;)

thanks Bugjammer,

i would have not considered the compound of rubber differing,its definately not something you could tell from a photo.

now you have pointed it out,i guess it makes perfect sense.those boys 4wd cars are designed more with durable running and long life in mind.

just remembered,Little Timmy with his wild ceptor will now be assaulted with rock hard tyres from the nearest bush that held the disgruntled Vintage collectors! ;)

The RC boys wheels I bought had nice soft tyres, 1.75" wheels with a 12mm hex. I only really bought them for the tyres to fit on RR/BC wheels for the Grasshopper, Super Champ and Bear Hawk.

For the Bear Hawk to take the vintage wheel I milled a slot in the back side of the vintage wheel to take the crosspin. No hex or driveplate fitted. Works fine for me to date.

I have stretched the 1.75" vintage tyres over 1.9" tourer rims before. Tight fit, but it is possible.

The smaller 1.5" Scorcher/Super Champ tyres might be a bit too much of a stretch to go onto 1.9" wheels, but I have fitted them to the RC Boys 1.75" wheels before to see how they looked.

You don't think the larger front WO wheels will look a bit odd with the 1.75 rear wheels? I just tried the setup on my Fox (same front wheels) and it's looks like a penny farthing. The front BC wheels and tyres are a direct fit to the front axle and are easy to get now if you do change your mind.