pikachoo-75

Buying/selling Trends?

As the title suggests,has anyone else felt there is a pattern between seemingly increased numbers of certain models appearing on auction sites and potential re-releases?

please ,dont think im trying to uncover some conspircy or suggest panic selling and such,it just seems that one minute there are certain models popping up every now and then...then suddenly a whole stack of them?

could it be due to "spring cleaning" and lofts getting emptied etc..?

or any other ideas?

like i say im sure its not like a secret society that suddenly get a whisper of a rumour from the bloke that knows a bloke, and BAM! MUST sell everything before they are "worth--less"

perhaps just coincidence or other?

feel free to add.

Nah its certainly no coincidence mate, people on the button know people who know people and they get snippets of (Largely inaccurate) info although some trends do show quite clearly whats getting re-re'd soon.

Cheers

Yeah, like a lot of Bruiser, Hilux, and Mountaineer kits/parts for sale.....

i must admit im astounded at the amount of 959 and avante models showing up very regular now?

i think its quite crazy...heres why...

if an oil painting is valuble its usually because the artist is no longer alive to do a painting even similar to affect its value.

if a classic car is valuable its usually because the maker is no longer in business or modern regulations for safety or emmissions etc stop it from being remade.

Tamiya is both alive and well and has very few regulations to stop them remaking anything they want.

So far i think Tamiya has been extremely fair to the vintage collector by providing key differences in the majority of re-releases so as to maintain an "originals" status.

But they are a business,and i find it refreshing that they havnt "pounced" on the re-release market.but who knows,maybe thats going to change (tho the Holiday Buggy seems go against the grain! LOL)

The biggest trends I see are AFTER a re-release has been announced (lots of original parts/cars get dumped after the announcement and before the re-release hits the market - no surprises there).

The rest is all just coincidence as far as I'm concerned.

In nature, "clusters" are quite common and can be surprisingly large - it's a fact of probability. If you toss a coin 100 times, there is high likelihood of at least one "cluster" of 7 straight heads or tails, in a row. Same thing happens in all random circumstances, including clusters of tamiyas for sale on ebay. But people have a tendency to look for meaning where there is no meaning... ;)

cheers,

H.

The biggest trends I see are AFTER a re-release has been announced (lots of original parts/cars get dumped after the announcement and before the re-release hits the market - no surprises there).

The rest is all just coincidence as far as I'm concerned.

In nature, "clusters" are quite common and can be surprisingly large - it's a fact of probability. If you toss a coin 100 times, there is high likelihood of at least one "cluster" of 7 straight heads or tails, in a row. Same thing happens in all random circumstances, including clusters of tamiyas for sale on ebay. But people have a tendency to look for meaning where there is no meaning... ;)

cheers,

H.

I agree with this comment totally but I have wondered if the clusters are sometimes because people see a certain model selling quite well, think to themselves I've got one of those in the cupboard & jump on the bandwagon to cash in on the feeding frenzy.

think to themselves I've got one of those in the cupboard & jump on the bandwagon to cash in on the feeding frenzy.

on point

ahhh..i hadnt considered that.

good point Yellowscott,

it does really make sense that if you see "your model in the cupboard/loft" go for decent money,it is only natural to have a go yourself.

at least you have a ball park figure of what it will go for.

Hibernaculum,

the cluster idea certainly makes sense with the casual seller,coupled with the "i know a new one is coming so im gonna sell mine before it hits the shelves" factor.

i guess i started this thread because i really couldnt get my head round why these "patterns" where appearing so obvious,but like you say,there were only obvious because i was looking for some kind of reason where there most likely is not! :)

I`ve noticed this phenomenon too,. Some weeks on the `bay there does em to be a particularly large amount of af a particular model for sale.the other weeks there was about four super sabres for sale,all within the same week.Not a car that seems to be likely to be re-re`d,although it`s stable mate the boomerang has been.I have no idea what causes it,but it is noticable. Dirt thrashes is another one that springs to mind.Not a particularly common car, but the other week there seemed to be a few up for sale, then it`ll be months o before another one appears.

One more brief comment on trends... ;) Before I leave you guys alone...

One eBay trend I have noticed over the years, is increasing numbers of sellers with insane expectations of what is valuable.

This has always existed, but as the years go by, I seem to find myself shaking my head more and more as I look at what's for sale on eBay.

As always, we can't post live links here. And naturally, there are those people who will reply to any mention of this with "Don't like it? Don't buy it!!" as if I hadn't figured that out for myself already, or I have no right to say when I think something is grossly overpriced. (Sorry, but I do). Further, let's assume that most people have the ability to use their fingers and the internet, and research prices before they list things....and therefore can't use the thin excuse of not having a clue what something is worth.

Sometimes I fantasize about starting a website called www.rc-dreamers.com, to showcase all the auctions for...oh, let's say Street Devils for nearly $2,000, Grashopper IIs for $600, or new-built models priced 20% higher than NIB models....the list goes on.

I guess this "slap a huge price tag on it and wait for a shmuck" technique exists everywhere in the collectibles world. In a recent visit to an antique shop, I noticed a bucket of the most crappy, unboxed, scratched chinese knock-off plastic matchbox-sized cars sitting on the counter. The price? $5 PER CAR. The same cars are available from K-Mart - 10 for $5. Some people just live in their own private universe and invent their own prices. :) I just wish they'd get sucked into a black hole...

H.

I saw that Street Drivel too (word play, like it?) for $1500USD, thats a £1000GBP?, i think someones confusing ambition with ability!.

Also saw an Avante for £1000, I mean a grand for a slightly restored Avante with wrong/bald tyres, im not sure about that lol.

I think i saw a 58069 on ebay too for some ridiculous price sometime in the last few days.

Problem is im sure some people with more money than sense will actually buy them lol.

I agree,a crazy price is a crazy price.

I guess it almost offends due to the idea the seller kinda assuming that no-one is clever enough to research the recent going rate?

its not rocket science...esp on Ebay..(they include the "completed listing" feature for a reason)

I guess it can leave some sellers abit disappointed when they have to list an item 5 times with ever decreasing reserves..maybe Ebay doesnt mind so much tho.... :)

I think ebay love it, the higher the price the higher the fees for them not actually doing anything lol.

If you notice the seller who has the 58069 (amongst others) actually bought them only a few weeks before from a well known Jap seller (Not the arrogant bloke, one of the others, whose name sounds a little like a small sheep crossed with cheese :)

He then goes and lists at double the price, i (Unfortunatley) think this is a growing trend, its going to get to the stage where if you want something worth having off the jap sellers you need to take a month off work and literally sit on ebay refreshing newly listed items every 10 seconds.

I think ebay love it, the higher the price the higher the fees for them not actually doing anything lol.

If you notice the seller who has the 58069 (amongst others) actually bought them only a few weeks before from a well known Jap seller (Not the arrogant bloke, one of the others, whose name sounds a little like a small sheep crossed with cheese :)

He then goes and lists at double the price, i (Unfortunatley) think this is a growing trend, its going to get to the stage where if you want something worth having off the jap sellers you need to take a month off work and literally sit on ebay refreshing newly listed items every 10 seconds.

Yeah I see what you mean nearly choked on the Lamborghini price 2.449.00 Pounds WoW !!!

That is the same dude isnt it ??.

I think if you take the time and i guess the risk of buying a kit from abroad,you prob could ask for a little extra for your effort....but doubling the price??? :)

I know if a kit is in the uk and its slightly more expensive that HK ,i could suck it up for the sake of quick delivery etc..but not at that rate!!! :)

I think if you take the time and i guess the risk of buying a kit from abroad,you prob could ask for a little extra for your effort....but doubling the price??? :)

I know if a kit is in the uk and its slightly more expensive that HK ,i could suck it up for the sake of quick delivery etc..but not at that rate!!! :)

Yes, fair enough if its a £300 kit and costs £30 to get shipped you would expect to pay £350-400 probably, but £600????, your having a GIRAFFE!!.

Yes that same seller has bought about 8/9 kits (purely relist them on ebay UK and to show how silly his expectations are perhaps lol)

I did ask him if he was another well known re-seller or related as they seem to have the same business model, i dont think i could print his answer here LMAO.

I did ask him if he was another well known re-seller or related as they seem to have the same business model, i dont think i could print his answer here LMAO.

Toilet ? :-)

I think this RC Dreamer has been in the Garage too long!! The Devil needs to get out on the Street a bit more for a dose of reality. Funny you should bring up this case as it was only days ago that I spotted this one myself & looked at his overpriced items. I did check out some of his sales though through his feedback & it seems some people a keen/silly enough to pay the big bucks for his stuff.

Its the same old story, people are impatient/have too much money/have OCD and wont buy from overseas,instead paying double lol.

Many reasons why this is and those mad enough to keep paying those prices are only making others think "I will do some of that, it's easy money, buy retail from japan at £100 and sell on for £200 in UK, happy days!".

Its not just him tho is it lol, there are quite a few doing it now.

Cheers

P.S. that seller replied to my question and he has stated that if they dont sell, its my fault!, and apparently "you dont want to do that mate" LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I politely replied that if they dont sell, perhaps it is something to do with his high prices as after all only HE was willing to buy them in the first place so WHY should anyone else buy them at DOUBLE when they declined to buy at half price LOL.

Good luck to him, i just hope no poor suckers off TC buy them, frankly its scandalous!!!!!!!!!.

Cheers

:lol: what a cheeky fella!

and to state it was "your fault" if someone doesnt fancy paying double for the model they didnt want to by at orig price?

oh well.. :)

it is scandalous, and hope it dosnt spread too much.

It is a crazy game this Tamiya malarky...To speculate on something that the original producer could easily reproduce? and have every right too..i dont see how it can command such crazy money.

but like you say ,maybe impatients etc.

I must be a tight-wad scottish git after all! ;) i even check the p+p to get the cheapest deal on even small cheap parts from ebay ,let alone paying double for a kit! :D