berman

Picking My Bday Pressie

Pick one or make another suggestion..  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm unsure what to go for...

Missus has asked me what I would like for my birthday present in late July (much like my thread about my xmas pressie).

Anything over $200ish US and I said I'd pay the difference.

I'm keen on any of the above four the most, but the downside of the Globeliner is I would need (want?) the accessories (MFC-01, 4Chan, Trailer, trailer acc etc) otherwise I'd just pick that.

The other downside is although I'm super keen on the Brat, it's hard to find one for a good price that an online seller wants to sell to me, and they seem pretty much non-existant in NZ at the moment.

The TXT I'm keen on, but it's getting expensive (once it's shipped here), but I do already have NIB 3ch radio gear for it.

Boomerang is my fourth choice, as I used to race one in the late eighties.

What would you choose and why?

Cheers

Neil

Oh, any other reccommendations considered..

i agree with henk, the txt will fit nicely into your stable.

if you really want a 4wd buggy i'd skip the boomer and try to find a df01 based buggy (manta ray, dirt thrasher, etc...) as they are truely a superiour buggy.

i can say that my df01 buggy is my favorite runner, next to the clod. it can keep up with the best of the modern buggies, take brushless power, and it's tough, really tough!

Well reading that straight away I thought of the TXT because I know you love your Clod.. no brainer if you ask me!

choose just one?

i'd get the brat. great old school build.

mind you, i would love a TXT. it's on my list . . . .

As mentioned above, the TXT-1 would look great with your Clod and Bully. Fancy a Jugg 2???

TXT-1 is a car I would really like personally, especially of those 4. Juggernaut/Jug 2 has my preference over a TXT-1 as the stance is more true to scale, but the TXT-1 is just... Yeah well, just plainly a cool chassi imo :)

Cheers for the feedback guys.

I am finding it hard to get hold of a Brat (which is making a TXT an easier option), and the two sellers I contacted haven't gotten back to me. :)

With regards to the TXT, I've been watching a few online videos, and would like to ask some questions:

I see a lot of TXT's have a huge lean on the chassis, like something is broken, what is it and is there a way to fix this?

Are they quite strong?

What breaks first?

Common problems?

Oh and to those of you who said a Juggernaut, I'd love one absolutely, hard to find used, but I will be looking for one later down the track :)

The TXT-1 is really a nice thing to run, but... it does not have history. It's a modern truck. If you was in it for running radiocontrol trucks then you can always turn to other modern stuff, like a Slash or any other ugly trucks that kids run out there.

I'd say go for a Subaru Brat. That's the one that'll make you feel as if you'd come right out of some time-machine.

Have a great Sunday !! :)

EB

--

The TXT-1 is really a nice thing to run, but... it does not have history. It's a modern truck. If you was in it for running radiocontrol trucks then you can always turn to other modern stuff, like a Slash or any other ugly trucks that kids run out there.

I'd say go for a Subaru Brat. That's the one that'll make you feel as if you'd come right out of some time-machine.

Have a great Sunday !! ;)

EB

--

Thanks for your post Erich :D

I agree about the history, The TXT isn't really based off a real Monster Truck like the Clod (Samson) or the Bullhead (Big Pete) so it doesn't have that 80's nostalgia feel about it. But I do like the look of it (would prefer it had a styrene shell aswell though) and I think it will create itself a cult following much like the Juggernaut has in due time. Plus I'm a sucker for MT's :lol:

I'm not into the Slash, (I'd much prefer the SC10 if I was to go that way), but most of that sort of thing doesn't really appeal to me, I have a Brushless HSP truck that has had a stripped spur gear for about 6 months and I'm just not interested in fixing it, it doesn't look scale enough for me to want to run it.

What you said about the Brat is what appeals to me about it, we got the Leone (Brumby in Aus) 4x4 wagon with the white canopy back in the 80's and a lot of farmers here still have them as hacks, they were quite popular over here so it would be cool to have a 1/10th scale one :)

If I get the TXT first I will probably get the Brat second (and vice versa)

....unless a bruiser or mountaineer comes up for sale..... :)

Thanks for your post Erich :lol:

I agree about the history, The TXT isn't really based off a real Monster Truck like the Clod (Samson) or the Bullhead (Big Pete) so it doesn't have that 80's nostalgia feel about it. But I do like the look of it (would prefer it had a styrene shell aswell though) and I think it will create itself a cult following much like the Juggernaut has in due time. Plus I'm a sucker for MT's :)

On the contrary... Clod and Bullhead may have been INSPIRED by real monster trucks, but that's purely visual. Nothing under the body has anything to do with a real monster truck. The TXT-1 IS a real monster truck under the body. The "lean" you are seeing in videos is the chassis torque under power. Real modern monster trucks do this as well. If you're into "scale" looking monster trucks, nothing out there compares to the TXT-1.

As for common upgrades, on mine I have full bearings, twin titan 550 motors running on 14.4 volts, REVO driveshafts, and alloy bumpers/servo mounts. I also added the 4 wheel steering option. IMO, this makes for a really nice, fun, reliable basher. But like the Clod, there's TONS more upgrades for the TXT-1 depending on how crazy you want to go.

Here's mine in action....

Cheers for the feedback guys.

I am finding it hard to get hold of a Brat (which is making a TXT an easier option), and the two sellers I contacted haven't gotten back to me. ;)

With regards to the TXT, I've been watching a few online videos, and would like to ask some questions:

I see a lot of TXT's have a huge lean on the chassis, like something is broken, what is it and is there a way to fix this?

Are they quite strong?

What breaks first?

Common problems?

Oh and to those of you who said a Juggernaut, I'd love one absolutely, hard to find used, but I will be looking for one later down the track :)

The huge lean on the chassis is the torque from the centre gearbox trying to lift the chassis one side and push down on the other as it turns the centre drive shaft. (Rotate the chassis around the centre drive shaft). There's nothing wrong with the car, it's just the way they are. I've found mine to be a good strong vehicle with the following exceptions:

Standard centre drive shaft UJs are made of brass and wear out quickly even on mildly tuned motors. I replaced mine with revo shafts for around £20. The cantilever arms for the suspension develop slop very quickly and the bushes require replacing with 8x5 roller bearings (8 for all arms). I replaced my cantilever arms with GPM alloy items which have less slop. The only other things I have broken are the 3 pronged spiders that support the 3 diff bevel gears, and collapsed a front upright when I managed to put the car into a position where it was balanced on one front wheel and it just gave way under the weight. On the whole the transmission is fairly bomb proof otherwise, and the chassis and suspension are strong enough to do the job. I've had mine 4 years and the only real problem has been the standard centre drive shafts.

If you're seriously thinking of getting one, budget for getting a second servo and a Y lead with reverse on one channel to add rear wheel steering as well as front. In standard front wheel steering only it has the turning circle of the Queen Mary :lol:

Two things to say about Monster Trucks:

The Clod Buster (I believe it is based on Bear Foot by the way) is very realistic to what Monster Trucks used to be back in the mid to late 80's. Yes, that means aesthetically. And actually, the Clod Buster is faster that the 1:1.

The TXT-1 is also a very realistic truck, but to what Monster trucks are nowadays. These days Monster trucks are not real trucks anymore, but a tube chassis and a fiberglass body. Some of them don't even look like a pick-up truck anymore. Back in the middle 80's Monster trucks were the very same trucks you'd see out in the streets, but modified, turbocharged, and with huge rockwell military axles. They were pretty slow and very, very heavy. I used to be a huge Monster truck racing fan a couple of decades ago. I stopped being a fan when they stopped using real pick-up trucks.

My two cents.

You all have a great week! :)

EB

--

On the contrary... Clod and Bullhead may have been INSPIRED by real monster trucks, but that's purely visual. Nothing under the body has anything to do with a real monster truck. The TXT-1 IS a real monster truck under the body. The "lean" you are seeing in videos is the chassis torque under power. Real modern monster trucks do this as well. If you're into "scale" looking monster trucks, nothing out there compares to the TXT-1.

While I get where you are coming from, I also believe the Clod performs like a real monster truck did, with all the traits and characteristics of an 80's monster truck, and like Erichs post below, when monster trucks were lifted chassis's with military axles. Remember monster trucks didn't start out with tube frame chassis's, everything you see now was a evolution from the past, as Monster Trucks got better, everything was better engineered as it broke or for better performance, same as Drag cars.

I understand what torque twist is. I understand that when you mash the throttle from a standstill, the rear axle will stay planted, and the front axle and chassis will try and turn (or lean) in the direction the motor's want to push it. This I dont mind, and some chassis twist is fair enough with the factory articulation the truck has, but I've seen some videos where the truck is constantly on a lean, even when stationary, and this is what I'm refering to. I've spent the last half hour studying the manual and wonder if it could be stabiliser problems?

I appreciate your comments even if we disagree on the Clod buster, but I dont want to turn this into a vs thread. You video is great, I've watched it numerous times before :lol:

The huge lean on the chassis is the torque from the centre gearbox trying to lift the chassis one side and push down on the other as it turns the centre drive shaft. (Rotate the chassis around the centre drive shaft). There's nothing wrong with the car, it's just the way they are. I've found mine to be a good strong vehicle with the following exceptions:

Standard centre drive shaft UJs are made of brass and wear out quickly even on mildly tuned motors. I replaced mine with revo shafts for around £20. The cantilever arms for the suspension develop slop very quickly and the bushes require replacing with 8x5 roller bearings (8 for all arms). I replaced my cantilever arms with GPM alloy items which have less slop. The only other things I have broken are the 3 pronged spiders that support the 3 diff bevel gears, and collapsed a front upright when I managed to put the car into a position where it was balanced on one front wheel and it just gave way under the weight. On the whole the transmission is fairly bomb proof otherwise, and the chassis and suspension are strong enough to do the job. I've had mine 4 years and the only real problem has been the standard centre drive shafts.

If you're seriously thinking of getting one, budget for getting a second servo and a Y lead with reverse on one channel to add rear wheel steering as well as front. In standard front wheel steering only it has the turning circle of the Queen Mary ;)

Thanks for your post. I will look into a driveshaft upgrade fairly shortly after purchasing the truck. Bearings I believe are a neccessity, and I will get extra bearings if the bearing kit I buy doesn't come with enough to replace ALL the metal bushings :D I do plan on throwing a couple of upgrades at it.

So far Yes, the extra steering servo, maybe a widener kit, and a bit more 'pep', but will see how it goes first. :)

Two things to say about Monster Trucks:

The Clod Buster (I believe it is based on Bear Foot by the way) is very realistic to what Monster Trucks used to be back in the mid to late 80's. Yes, that means aesthetically. And actually, the Clod Buster is faster that the 1:1.

The TXT-1 is also a very realistic truck, but to what Monster trucks are nowadays. These days Monster trucks are not real trucks anymore, but a tube chassis and a fiberglass body. Some of them don't even look like a pick-up truck anymore. Back in the middle 80's Monster trucks were the very same trucks you'd see out in the streets, but modified, turbocharged, and with huge rockwell military axles. They were pretty slow and very, very heavy. I used to be a huge Monster truck racing fan a couple of decades ago. I stopped being a fan when they stopped using real pick-up trucks.

My two cents.

You all have a great week! :)

EB

--

I pretty much agree wholeheartedly with what you said, I also dont have much to do with modern Monster Trucks, but I am willing to make an exception with the TXT as an RC, and it will take abuse that I wouldn't dream of throwing at my Clod, no expensive styrene shell parts to damage :)

Cheers for everyones insight :D

While I get where you are coming from, I also believe the Clod performs like a real monster truck did, with all the traits and characteristics of an 80's monster truck, and like Erichs post below, when monster trucks were lifted chassis's with military axles. Remember monster trucks didn't start out with tube frame chassis's, everything you see now was a evolution from the past, as Monster Trucks got better, everything was better engineered as it broke or for better performance, same as Drag cars.

I understand what torque twist is. I understand that when you mash the throttle from a standstill, the rear axle will stay planted, and the front axle and chassis will try and turn (or lean) in the direction the motor's want to push it. This I dont mind, and some chassis twist is fair enough with the factory articulation the truck has, but I've seen some videos where the truck is constantly on a lean, even when stationary, and this is what I'm refering to. I've spent the last half hour studying the manual and wonder if it could be stabiliser problems?

I appreciate your comments even if we disagree on the Clod buster, but I dont want to turn this into a vs thread. You video is great, I've watched it numerous times before :lol:

Thanks for your post. I will look into a driveshaft upgrade fairly shortly after purchasing the truck. Bearings I believe are a neccessity, and I will get extra bearings if the bearing kit I buy doesn't come with enough to replace ALL the metal bushings ;) I do plan on throwing a couple of upgrades at it.

So far Yes, the extra steering servo, maybe a widener kit, and a bit more 'pep', but will see how it goes first. :D

I pretty much agree wholeheartedly with what you said, I also dont have much to do with modern Monster Trucks, but I am willing to make an exception with the TXT as an RC, and it will take abuse that I wouldn't dream of throwing at my Clod, no expensive styrene shell parts to damage :)

Cheers for everyones insight :)

Yes I agree the Clod peformed like an 80s monster truck, but with the body off, it's not remotely related to a scale truck. Plus it's 2010, not 1985 :)

I've also seen the TXT vids with "all the time" torque twist. They seem to usually be single motor brushless setups. My guess would be the brushless holds it's torque longer in the powerband, plus a combination of soft shock springs (for whatever reason) and also most likely incorrect stabilizer setup or just none at all. I think my twin Titan 550s on 14.4 volts in my TXT would be powerful enough for all the time torque twist if factory chassis setup allowed that. My vid clearly shows that mine only twists from a standstill for a second or two.

As for the TXT vs Clod thing, I'm not looking to debate either. I've owned a Clod. The Clod is "neat", but the TXT is FUN.

i'd say grab a Brat before they're all gone... but i haven't gotten around to buying kit yet either

I would choose the Boomer as its pretty fun to drive and strip down and rebuilt [if your a keen fettler]

To be honest I kind of like the frog RERE as an alternative, gotta love those rear wheels and body shell, and the suspension and chassis looks like it offers some challenges!

Happy birthday by the way [in advance] hehe

Forget the Monster truck thing, Neil... Go for the Globeliner! :P

Hahahaha :) I see what you did there ;) Thanks Erich!

i'd say grab a Brat before they're all gone... but i haven't gotten around to buying kit yet either

I agree, only a few on epay and because there isn't many the prices seem to have been hiked up :o

I would choose the Boomer as its pretty fun to drive and strip down and rebuilt [if your a keen fettler]

To be honest I kind of like the frog RERE as an alternative, gotta love those rear wheels and body shell, and the suspension and chassis looks like it offers some challenges!

Happy birthday by the way [in advance] hehe

Thanks fella :) I will get a boomer eventually, (as it would be a good memory of me racing one in the late 80's) I also plan to get a Hornet, Grasshopper, Frog etc whether re-re's or originals in due time because some of my mates when I was a kid had one or another, and I'm high on the nostalgia these cars possess. Mr Tamiya-san has me hooked :D

I'm waiting on a reply from a seller and hoping to have my decision finalised soon :o

Thanks to all who have posted/voted :)

Cheers

Neil

Drumroll please....

Well,

Came across a Subaru Brat locally, was being sold by a NZ TamiyaClub member at a great price so would have been stupid not to buy it :D

so I decided not to be stupid....

Aaaand also ordered a TXT-1 from Stella Models :)

Thanks for the feedback guys, its going to be a great birthday! ...although i'm not going eat for two weeks :) (eating is overrated...)

Cheers

Neil