SRB Bloke

Anybody Heard About The Super Champ Re-release

The rumors I've picked are a 2012 re-release, as thats its 30th birthday..... anybody heard anything else......????

Do you think Mr Tamiya would be interested in re-releasing this amazing 80's buggy...???

Kinda unlikly, but I hope!

As I got the SC fever right now!!!

Where did the rumor come from?

Badboy

Kinda unlikly, but I hope!

As I got the SC fever right now!!!

Where did the rumor come from?

Badboy

I've got the same fever.....

I only heard it on here, but there wasn't anything to back it up... I'd want at least 3 so thought I'd better start saving if it was true..

we can only hope.

these oldtimers have really caught my attention

Well I got 2 and a half Super Champ right now but want more!!! :)

Badboy

Always preferred the looks of the Super Champ to the Rough Rider, so yeah I'd like to see a Re-re of it. As long as it's an SRB underneath, and not a Grasshopper!

As long as it's an SRB underneath, and not a Grasshopper!

Ha, ha, ha!!! :):lol:;)

We can only hope!

Badboy

i would imagine Tamiya would like to get through the mountains of unsold buggy champs before doing another srb.

I guess you know first hand then that this is the case? Care to enlighten us then on the Super Champ re issue, is it happening or not? :)

Anyway, considering what Tamiya have done with the BC and SS (releasing it on the 30th Anniversary of each) then it looks as if 2012 is likely if they decide to follow suit. I'd welcome it for sure, one to bash would be nice although it's a bit of a wait!

too early to say if a super champ reissue would ever happen

thinking about it logically - the rough rider was a milestone for tamiya (and rc in general) - hence the re release.

the sand scorcher was a simple parts bin special on the BC chassis

the super champ? well i don't recall it being a great success in its day - it was quickly usurped by the plastic chassis'd models

it would also command a higher price tag than the BC and SS - making it even harder to sell? My friend with a good rc and model business recently had to return half a dozen BC's back to the wholesaler as he couldn't shift them.

and the wholesaler (main uk importer) wasn't about to pay him what he paid for them either.

i would love to be wrong about this, as a super champ rere would be great.

however i think there is more likelyhood of a ford ranger "style" srb release - or a truck bodied srb anyway.

it's about time they strapped a new shell to the srb. i mean, it's been 30 years already . . .

if i had to predict a likely re release, i would go with the monster beetle. almost all the parts are in production, it would not have a huge price tag, and was a hit in its day.

I agree, the Ranger is an easier release for them to put in production than the SC.

Anyway, I want both!

tMy friend with a good rc and model business recently had to return half a dozen BC's back to the wholesaler as he couldn't shift them.

and the wholesaler (main uk importer) wasn't about to pay him what he paid for them either.

i would love to be wrong about this, as a super champ rere would be great.

He didn't have to return them to the wholesaler, he could have reduced the price to shift them but I guess he didn't want to reduce the price to anything less than the wholesaler would give him - which is completely understandable.

I do agree ref the SC though. I doubt they'll rere it as it's not as iconic as the Scorcher. Yeah, it's a really nice model but does the interest and potential demand warrant a rere, probably not in Tamiya's eyes. They'd do better to rere the body on another chassis in a similiar fashion to the Holiday Buggy. The bodies would sell like hot cakes to be dropped onto modded SRB chassis as it appears to be the more popular body when it comes to Funco style buggies.

Nobody with skills to fabricate the "missing" parts from the BC/SS to convert it to SC?

The rear shock/swayarm sprint, rear bumper etc...

Badboy

I already make the Super Champ Mechanism Deck (the thinner upper one) in carbon fibre which kind of matches the new black FRP 2mm main chassis plate for the Buggy Champ. I also do the main chassis plate in Carbon Fibre in the Super Champ cut. The rear bumper should be easy to fabricate, the other bits I would need to have a look and determine.

Paul.

I would say a re-release of the Super Champ would depend entirely on whether there is excess parts stock left from the Buggy Champ & Scorcher 2010. If they have a stock pile that they cannot shift then I'd say it is entirely feasible. After all, the main reason we are getting the new Holiday Buggy appears to be because they have a bundle of DF-02s that are gathering dust in the factory!

Next "proper" re-release will be the FAV/Wild One or the Bruiser/Hilux IMO.

I already make the Super Champ Mechanism Deck (the thinner upper one) in carbon fibre which kind of matches the new black FRP 2mm main chassis plate for the Buggy Champ. I also do the main chassis plate in Carbon Fibre in the Super Champ cut. The rear bumper should be easy to fabricate, the other bits I would need to have a look and determine.

Paul.

Its worth considering Paul, there seems to be a lot of interest in the SC... think I'll have a look at your chassis plates. Are they strong enough without the steel plate..?

The rear bumper should be easy to fabricate

I believe the lovely Kev The Rev makes a Super Champ rear bumper :)

I'm thinking about the the rear arm sprint that holds the mono shock, and the rear arms (A-arms)...

But the rear arms can be done by use the BC and drill them up to SC size, same with the gear house. The shock arms are the tricky part...

Badboy

I'm thinking about the the rear arm sprint that holds the mono shock, and the rear arms (A-arms)...

But the rear arms can be done by use the BC and drill them up to SC size, same with the gear house. The shock arms are the tricky part...

Badboy

I'm looking into the idea of making the whole SC rear end, but it has to be said it would never beat opening that box and seeing it all there brand new.....

Hi :)

I use without the steel plate, but other than weight there is little reason to leave it out. The plates are the same thickness and way stiffer than the FRP ones. I haven't had one back ever (3 years) and I have sold perhaps 200 in that time.

Paul.

I'm looking into the idea of making the whole SC rear end, but it has to be said it would never beat opening that box and seeing it all there brand new.....

Depending on price, I'll mite buy 3 set if you do them!

Me want bad!!!

Badboy

Has anybody heard anything bout any re-release on the Super Champ?

It would be awesome to buy a NIB for alot less money ;)

Badboy

Why oh why don't Tamiya re-release the SRB based Ranger or even just the BlackFoot body? It's getting very sort after now. Can't be a licensing issue, they do other Fords without problems...

Anyone heard anything about the F150 XLT or BlackFoot being a re-release possibility this year?

Cheers,

Alistair G.

How about Ranger on a CC-01 upgraded chassie into CC-02 with two axles?!!

That would be the most awesome release!!!

As the SRB are based on VW chassie so I think the ranger doesn't fit in there!!!

It's a great looking car without a doubt but on wrong chassie

Badboy