Sign in to follow this  
SteelRat

Back Garden Crawler Track

Last weekend I'd been looking at my back garden and seen it needed a bit of a sort out. My pile of rocks for crawler testing was getting a bit dull, and they were initially only there to cover up a pole from a now disused whirly washing line. Couple that with the fact some years ago a tree had decided to take root and was beginning a take over bid for it's little corner along with a sad old shrub, an extremely droopy peony, a honeysuckle that just wouldn't die, and grass that was well... a bit knackered.

As often happens with these kinds of things I was originally just going to dig out the corner with the peony, tree and honey suckle and maybe find something else to put there. Instead I had the idea of digging up that entire end of the garden and essentially kill a whole flock of birds with the one stone by building a more interesting track for my crawlers.

The pics below show the progress of two sunday mornings worth of work. I've realised that I'm going to have an awful lot of bare earth laying about, so am considering putting more rocks in, and building a rock garden round the edges that aren't track to make it look a bit more like a moutain pass.

Your comments and suggestions, as ever are always welcome!

CrawlerTrack001.jpg

CrawlerTrack002.jpg

CrawlerTrack003.jpg

CrawlerTrack007.jpg

CrawlerTrack008.jpg

100704Stage11.jpg

100704Stage12.jpg

100704Stage13.jpg

100704Stage14.jpg

100704Stage15.jpg

Think your shed has seen better days LOL!!!

Wish I was allowed to dig up our garden for a track! My wife just doesn't seem to get it :) !!

Every garden should have a mud run / bomb hole IMO....

Rich

hehe yeah the shed is a bit knackered. Not sure if you can see it in the photos, but it actually leans over slightly :)

Heh, my wife didn't get it either. That's why I don't have a wife anymore :lol:

That's excellent!

Where we are at the moment we don't even have a garden so I am always envious of people who can make a track or a crawler patch.

I have promised my gf that when we move somewhere with a garden she can have a "rockery" :)

Yep, you need rocks. Can't crawl without rocks Matt. :P

Shed make me think of Club Nouveau, ........lean on me, when you are not strong....... :P

Seems a lot of us are busy digging and constructing crawler track presently.

Henk :P

Have rocks to do the crawling, but need more cos the track is a lot longer than my previous one, and as a decorative feature. Also contemplating using the tree I dug up as an obstacle as well (rude not to frankly :P )

:P AAAA hah! So you already rock!

I also need many more rocks to make more of the space I have available plus about 10 cubes of dirt to full up and make some mountains. I'm a mole that needs a huge hill........ :P

That tree should make a nice obstacle, the roots normally have endless possibilities.

Henk :P

Awesome, make it bigger and buy a few massive rocks to dump around!

Been tempted to make a tank battlfield in the garden...

Awesome, make it bigger and buy a few massive rocks to dump around!

Been tempted to make a tank battlfield in the garden...

Make it bigger? :) I wish I could. I can only really bring the front forward, and I don't want to turn the ENTIRE back garden into a crawler track (although I could see where you're coming from with that view point ;) )