Sign in to follow this  
Splended

Big Wig Sub Chassis

Hi all!

I am trying to get an old Big Wig up and running, but I don't have the "sub chassis". Is it really needed? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi all!

I am trying to get an old Big Wig up and running, but I don't have the "sub chassis". Is it really needed? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Looking at the manual, it seems that the sub chassis is used for retaining the battery, it may act as a cover for the MSC unit that was supplied originally, and possibly for a bit of extra rigidity (although I think not as it's so loosely attached), but apart from that seems to have no use. So if you have another way of securing the battery in position, then you don't need it. You could also easily make this part yourself from a metal plate. You just need to get the hole in the right position compared with the hooks :unsure:

Thank you!

That makes sense. It will be a runner, and I'm not too bothered about the looks on this one, so a alu plate will do the job then.

It will be nice to see how it handles when finished. I remember it as a much better offroader than my 959 back in the '80's, and it gave me hard times in Tamiya Cup races back then. I think I will put in a brushless setup to get this heavy thing moving.

Again, thank you!

Thank you!

That makes sense. It will be a runner, and I'm not too bothered about the looks on this one, so a alu plate will do the job then.

It will be nice to see how it handles when finished. I remember it as a much better offroader than my 959 back in the '80's, and it gave me hard times in Tamiya Cup races back then. I think I will put in a brushless setup to get this heavy thing moving.

Again, thank you!

I would definitly put in that alu plate. My experience is that without the support the old ABS plastic will crack at the first jump. You can test it by holding the front and back of the chassis and twist it, you will see the movement it has. So, when you mak a plate, also check the widht so it gives some axial support over the length of the car.

So, treat your old Bigwig with 'love' :D

Maurits