Sign in to follow this  
njmlondon

Opinions of the XR311

I have seen that a few members have this car and I wanted to know what it is like?

It looks like it has a unique metal chassis, I think it has 3-speed gears, and it has the hard body... so why is it not a "classic"?

Actually it is a classic, only the almost identical re-release made it a bit less sought after...

The chassis is not unique but the same with the Cheetah.

It has 3 gear ratios you can change by opening the gearbox but not 3 speeds like the famous 3 speed family.

The older one has plastic torsion bars which were breaking easily while the new uses metal ones, as far as I have heared both handle pretty badly.

Also the highly detailed body has too many little glued on parts which would propably follow their own paths in the first ride [;)]

In few words its a nice showroom classic piece of Tamiya history which can be purchased for only a bit more then $150 NIB!, the original can go NIB a bit higher than $400, if you ask me only for big originality fans as the differences are moderate in opposition to the other re-releases.

I had the original XR311 and have the 2000 re-release. As pointed out above, yes it handles poorly, the small plastic bits will fall off readily and it does come with 3 gears that you can use only one of at any time [:I] If you strip off the bits that break and change a few things you can have some off road fun with the XR311 otherwise she should be a display queen.

Please note. These are my opinions alone. No plants or small furry critters were injured while forming this opinion.

Bear in mind that this car was originally designed with a four cell setup. With the adequate powerplant (i.e not the 7.2v batt) the cars behaves nicely and is even quite realistic thanks to the suspension setup which is quite similar to a real LM01 for instance.

Of all the tamiya cars this is probably the most realistic one both in term of body details and handling. As a performer it is absolutely compliant with the original one : bounce here and there when reaching high speeds, heavy understeering, tires that tend to be distorted when cornering.

To sum it all, expect form this car the same as for a Sherman Tank : realism.

Raoul

Hi,

I have the only XR311 listed as a Runner it the Show Room [:D]. I hope there are other runners out there. It is the Re-release. The XR311 is fun kit to build. My son and I have a fun time driving it. It is however easy to roll over. We also have a Hummer. The Hummer is a little faster and a lot more stable.

I have modified the Hummer slightly, see my Show Room, so it can hold a Kodak MC3 camera for making videos. Below is a link to a 1.2MB MPG movie file of the XR311 in action. It was getting dark when I made the movie, so it is lacking details. I will shoot it again if the sun ever comes out.

http://home.rochester.rr.com/hosie/xr311A.MPG

It may take awhile to download. May be best to use "Save Target as" to save the file to a local disk then play it.

Enjoy

Hummer MPG:

http://home.rochester.rr.com/hosie/viewFromHummer2.MPG

Incredible scale realism. One of the older models where the wheels and tires are in scale with the vehicle. Styrene body is the best way to go.

Running with a smaller motor or a partially charged battery pack will lengthen the life of the detailed body.

I would love to run mine if I could find a semi ugly body shell I would not be afraid to knock around with [:I]

I have to agree, the scale appearance is very nice.

why not run it with the stock motor and a 4 cell battery. Most good escs can run on 4.8 volts.

quote:Bear in mind that this car was originally designed with a four cell setup. With the adequate powerplant (i.e not the 7.2v batt) the cars behaves nicely and is even quite realistic thanks to the suspension setup which is quite similar to a real LM01 for instance.

id="quote">id="quote">

Just to clarify, back then it was designed for 4 alcaline not rechargable ones, so 6V not 4.8V, or the 5 cell again 6V Tamiya Nicad.

quote: why not run it with the stock motor and a 4 cell battery. Most good escs can run on 4.8 volts.

id="quote">id="quote">

4.8V is a bit too few and voltage regulator of the ESC creates a power loss, so it might be too few for the reciever and servos if you dont use a Rx battery back, better try it with 6V.

Btw, Not2Night very nice videos!!! [^]

quote:
Originally posted by Twmaster

No plants or small furry critters were injured while forming this opinion.

id="quote">id="quote">

Is it normal Practise to injure plants and small furry critters when making decisions?[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Sorry, just had to ask!

quote:Is it normal Practise to injure plants and small furry critters when making decisions?[
:D
][
][
][
]

Sorry, just had to ask!

id="quote">id="quote">

It *really* depends on the decision being made! [:D]