floppydisk35

Simple Tb01 Questions..

Yeah, I'm thinking to buy the heavy and rugged TB01. (Ehh...thinking..) I did some pretty intense research (around 2 minutes. Tops.) and I got interested in it. The biggest criteria was that I wanted a 4WD chassis. The only reason why I'm not interested in the TT01 chassis is because....well I don't know. It looks cheap.

Anyway, onto the TB01;

1. Any "must buy" mods and hopups?

2. Is the weight issue a big problem? I think it would make a car handle realistically. But would also make the motor hotter. And the tires wear out faster. Hmmm.....

3. Would an RZ stay in nicely in there? What about gearing and good ESC (but cheap, remember, I'm a cheapo kid living off pocket money that is given to me at the beginning of the weekend)? 101-BK?

4. What are the differences between the TB01 and the TB01R chassis? I might take the car onto some loose gravel (and yes, I'd better replace an Enzo Ferrari shell with something more realistic, like a Mitsubishi or Subaru. Or a Datsun. Or a Lancia. Oooh now I'm beginning to drool...)

Oh and another thing: I won't be competing on tracks, mainly having the car go up and down the road and then taking it to the crossroad at the end of the street, nothing drastic.

So...thanks in advance B)

PS: On a side note, how much would you buy a used FF01 roller with Golf wheels, tires, MSC, receiver, and all FF01 parts installed?

1. must have a steel pinion - otherwise I run mine bone stock with a tuned motor.

2. weight makes them handle great on dirt

3. RZ and 101bk is pushing it a bit IMHO. Dirt/Sport Tuned and 101bk do nicely w/o heat issues.

4. Stock TB-01 has dust cover, and knobby tires. Not sure about the R, but think it has no dust cover and slicks? Somebody else might know for sure.

Super cars, these. Old, clunky, heavy, and really, really fun to slide around on dirt/gravel and a bit of tarmac. I don't think you will be disappointed.

The TB-01 is heaps better than a TT-01 and the quality of the parts is drastically improved. The plastics are much heavier, the gears are massive metal jobs, the shocks are proper oil shocks not pogo sticks, not a cheezy bushing to be found in the kit ... the list goes on.

Yeah, I'm thinking to buy the heavy and rugged TB01. (Ehh...thinking..) I did some pretty intense research (around 2 minutes. Tops.) and I got interested in it. The biggest criteria was that I wanted a 4WD chassis. The only reason why I'm not interested in the TT01 chassis is because....well I don't know. It looks cheap.

Anyway, onto the TB01;

1. Any "must buy" mods and hopups?

2. Is the weight issue a big problem? I think it would make a car handle realistically. But would also make the motor hotter. And the tires wear out faster. Hmmm.....

3. Would an RZ stay in nicely in there? What about gearing and good ESC (but cheap, remember, I'm a cheapo kid living off pocket money that is given to me at the beginning of the weekend)? 101-BK?

4. What are the differences between the TB01 and the TB01R chassis? I might take the car onto some loose gravel (and yes, I'd better replace an Enzo Ferrari shell with something more realistic, like a Mitsubishi or Subaru. Or a Datsun. Or a Lancia. Oooh now I'm beginning to drool...)

Oh and another thing: I won't be competing on tracks, mainly having the car go up and down the road and then taking it to the crossroad at the end of the street, nothing drastic.

So...thanks in advance :D

PS: On a side note, how much would you buy a used FF01 roller with Golf wheels, tires, MSC, receiver, and all FF01 parts installed?

The TB01 is a great car for on and offroad, and indeed, insanely tough! :lol: TGX (1/8 Nitro onroad), TG10 (1/10 Nitro offroad), Levant (1/10 Brushless offroad) and even 1/10 Nitro offroad cars have used the same gearboxes... And the tub in the middle is so thick that it can't be weak! Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. Steel pinion is a must because the standard alloy motor pinions are **, plus the kit pinion is very small (and too light a gearing for even a sports tuned motor I believe). Bearings are also necessary on the TB01, although the TB01R does have them I believe.

Other than that the car will run ok stock. Nice hopups for the car however are the LA suspension Arm Set (Suspension from the TB01 Evo, it has a much better geometry and more suspension setup options - spare parts are not the easiest to find for the set but I haven't needed any so far as the TB01 is so tough, including this suspension set). Another thing for hopping up is the steering arms (aluminum with bearings instead of plastic) and/or more sophisticated oil filled shocks (the stock ones are ok, but the piston is a metal plate on the piston rod without holes, instead of a plastic one with holes - so setting up the suspension the way you like could become difficult with the stock dampers). I also bought the wider TG10 front bumper, as this protects the front suspension much better than the stock bumper. For very hot motors the aluminum motor mount is also a nice feature ;)

2. The weight isn't a problem to me. It makes for higher pressure on the tires, which means there's potentially more grip, especially offroad.

3. I run a 8.5T Brushless (+/- 19T brushed?) system in mine, and it runs great. The motor does get a little hot, especially with the foam and lexan dust covers. However, I can still touch the motor without burning my hands. A brushed motor would get hotter, but as the RZ is slower, I think you're safe with that (plus you get a heat sink with the kit which I can't use on my brushless system due to the position of the wires).

4. The TB01 is aimed for offroad running, so it's the all-in heavy car. It has bushings, all metal (steel) gearboxes, small pinion, lexan dust cover, driver figures, foam dust covers and rally block tires. The TB01R is made for onroad driving, so has onroad tires, no lexan and foam dust covers, no driver figures (which are so cool to have!), no rally block tires, probably shorter springs for a lower ride height, an aluminum propshaft (which is known to wear out with offroad use), and lightweight plastic ring gears (the big ones on the diffs, which are a nice weight bonus - but available seperately).