Sign in to follow this  
94grasshopper

Grasshopper

can any one tell me how i can stop my grasshopper from rolling over when i go round a corner because i have got a 540 motor in it

slow down.

really, thats the answer. slow down when entering the turn.

the thing is some times when going in a straight line because its so light if it hits something on the road it can go out of control and spin out and roll

It's a 'characteristic'! What makes it so much fun is you never know what it will throw at you! I can put my Hornet down on the workbench at the end of the day and when I return in the morning it will be on its roof :angry: ! They are that unpredictable :angry: !! (not quite but you get the idea!!)

Rich

If you are just bashing there is one way you can make the GrassHopper immune to rolling over.. There is a vintage hop-up made by Parma that allowed you to mount a second set of rear wheels (and front wheels if you like) to the existing set of wheels.. This makes the wheelbase incredibly wide - so wide in fact that the Grasshopper cannot rollover even when you take turns at full speed - it will just skid a little.. It should not be too hard to find these adapters on Ebay..

I did this to my runner Grasshopper and tested it out.. I have attached a link to my showroom about the hop-up and a trick to lock the outside wheels (since they normally free-spin and loose traction).

Please don't use these if you plan to run your Grasshopper on an RC track for vintage racing.. The track manager would not allow a car to run with such a wide wheelbase.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...4&sid=13616

Hope this helps.

can any one tell me how i can stop my grasshopper from rolling over when i go round a corner because i have got a 540 motor in it

ha ha but i was wondering if i could prevent it from happening by some how lowering the car a bit to stop the paint from scratching

It would help for sure, but probably not enough to prevent a rollover at full speed. There is another vintage hop-up kit made by BoLink that included parts to lower a GrassHopper or Hornet for street racing.. I didn't see one on Ebay today, but I have seen them in the past..

ha ha but i was wondering if i could prevent it from happening by some how lowering the car a bit to stop the paint from scratching

Send TA Mark a PM to see if he has tips. If he can keep a GHopper on the ground under brushless power, he can probably help you out. I believe he filled a spare tire with lead and mounted it on the rear, which you could try. Might provide a little crash protection too...?

Grasshoppers bounce ALOT with the kit suspension. This doesn't help with the suspension ocsillating on it's pogo sticks as you attempt to take a corner. Fitting some CVA or an oil filled dampers will solve this to some degree. Use a very light spring and damper fluid on the rear and medium weight spring/fluid on the front. The Grasshopper is not a heavy chassis so 1:16 buggy dampers/springs will do the job.

Adding some weight to the rear of the chassis/body will help with the rear end bouncing as all of the rear weight is unsprung in the gearbox. I have 200grams of lead weights inside the spare tyre I have fitted to the rear roll cage on mine.

The bumpsteer and odd camber angles caused by the single arm front suspension will make keeping it in a straight line a chore. It's a characteristic of the chassis to many, it didn't float my boat, so I fitted a CRP FX-10 double wishbone front suspension to take away the odd camber angles and bumpsteer.

The kit Paddla Trak tyres really only work well in the sand. The Buggy Champ/Rough Rider wheels work much better for packed dirt or tarmac use. Hornet tyres are great on grass and really loose dirt.

The rest is all driving style. Brake in a straight line before you attempt to turn.