Sign in to follow this  
beetlebanger1

Masking Tape..........

having spent ages masking up my scorcher painting etc when ive removed the tamiya masking tape im left with the residue from the tape all over the body........... what do i use to clean it off with ........ ive had it in a sink of warm soapy water and tried but to no avail...... help please !!!!

simply try to remove it with some salad oil.

I always use salad oil first to remove residue from smooth surfaces. It also won't remove the paint :)

are you serious ............ salad oil ????? ............................ like the vinegarette stuff........... i dont use the stuff so im not sure where your going with this . i have to laquer the body after wards wont it be all greasy and slimey from the salad oil ??

yea olive oil can sometimes work; need to wash properly with detergent before painting

what paint did you use? some paints will survive rubbing alcohol, that takes off most gooey gums.

yea olive oil can sometimes work; need to wash properly with detergent before painting

what paint did you use? some paints will survive rubbing alcohol, that takes off most gooey gums.

proper tamiya spray paint french blue and racing white........... the shell was washed with soapy water and left to air dry before a light sanding , washed again air dried again . then masked up with tamiya masking tape and then sprayed . its turning out to a pain in the A#@% !!!

has anyone else had this while painting there RR SS ???

are you serious ............ salad oil ????? ............................ like the vinegarette stuff........... i dont use the stuff so im not sure where your going with this . i have to laquer the body after wards wont it be all greasy and slimey from the salad oil ??

Yes, I'm serious. Use pure sunflower or olive oil - just try it and you will see...

ive tried it .................... no good sprayed it on ........... left it for 30 mins ............ its laughing at me !!!!!!!!!.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ive tried it .................... no good sprayed it on ........... left it for 30 mins ............ its laughing at me !!!!!!!!!.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It makes no sence to left it on the residue.

I always drop some oil on a towel or something and rub the residue till the surface is clean. After that you have to wash the body in soapy water to remove the oil.

I hope that helps.

Before using anything, I would first trying rubbing the adhesive off with my finger or use new tape of the same and use the adhevise side to draw the the remaining adhesive residue left on the body.

ive tried it on a soft cloth and abosolutely nothing . not even a hint of it moving .... also tried rubbing it with my finger but it just wont even hint of it moving . ............... what else can i do ............ !!!!!

How long did you leave the white to air dry before you masked it up? I've never had any problems with the Tamiya masking tape, it's brilliant stuff.

Sounds like the tape adhesive has sunk into the soft first layer of paint to me...? If this is the case then you don't really have much choice but to use some fine wet and dry to rub down the affected areas and touch up the white?

Nightmare! :)

Tim.

I had the same problem when i stripped my decals off mine for the resto - I used a clay bar for a normal car - doesnt damage the paint - but gets of anything - even gaffer tape sticky stuff lol.

How long did you leave the white to air dry before you masked it up? I've never had any problems with the Tamiya masking tape, it's brilliant stuff.

Sounds like the tape adhesive has sunk into the soft first layer of paint to me...? If this is the case then you don't really have much choice but to use some fine wet and dry to rub down the affected areas and touch up the white?

Nightmare! :)

Tim.

was left to dry over night but spent most of its time in the sun ............ i think to prepare the shell masking etc painting etc to get to this stage has taken nearly 2 weeks ...... so its not like ive rushed .... but it sounds like your rite when you say the 1st layer has sunk into the blue .............. i am really really .......... F......... OFF

WHY ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he's right , you put one the tape to soon

paint isn't hard after one night, this takes days

in a car shop they "bake" your car after spraying , they can't wait for 3 day's to do further work

another thing to do:

always remove the tape when the paint is still wet!!

very important

spray , wait untill most of the solvents are gone ,remove tape

for removing the glue : wait untill your paint is fully hardend , at least 3 days!

use white spirit (not Thinner!!!!!!) :this does't disolve dried paint

Ben

rite then its out with the olive oil and in with the white spirits .......... at least if that doesnt work then at least ive got sumat to cook with and then sumfin to drown my sorrows in !!!