Sign in to follow this  
blackd0g

most difficult body to paint

which is the most difficult tamiya rc body did you ever paint?

mine's the porsche 959 paris-dakar. the body details are great but getting masking tape around them is a real task.

So far the most time consuming for me has been the Celica GRb Rally Special. All the painting done on the inside and outside of the lexan shell!

Have a NIB Scorcher shell to come though!

Adam

logo_member2.gif

I have been wondering about the result of painting both on the inside and on the outside of the body. I am in the process of restoring a 959 myself, and according to the manual I have to paint both sides as well. I had made up my mind to paint all the details from the inside only. Will the end result be better if I paint the body as the manual describes (on both sides of the lexan)??

Breg

Martin

the outside painting for the 959 are mainly the front air grills and the sump guard. I figure that the air grills are supposed to have a flat (matt) finish to be realistic. Also the sump guard (I guess) must be matt, obviously the sump guard does not have a glossy finish like the real car body. the windshield trimming and the roof light rubber base must then also be matt. IMO, it would be more realistic to paint the body as the manual says. then again, it is also difficult to paint everything on the inside. try masking the black trimming around the windshield. Whew!

Tamiya was popular with scale model kits before it was with R/C kits. They have adopted their realistic quality with scale models to lexan bodies of the R/C cars. Also IMO, Tamiya makes the best detailed lexan bodies, consequently the most difficult to paint. Even the tailights on the 959 have to be painted on instead of a decal. Fortunately these days, Tamiya lexan bodies require only one color, the rest is taken care of by the decals.

it's a real deal getting the airbrush around bends when painting the 959.

good luck martin.

quote:

mine's the porsche 959 paris-dakar. the body details are great but getting masking tape around them is a real task.

id=quote>id=quote>

We skipped the whole masking bit and just painted everything by hand. Tamiya's white and blue PC paints cover pretty well, and with about 3-4 coats no brushmarks will show. There was no benefit imho in using the airbrush, takes too long for those wide expanses.

Imho Tamiya X18 SemiGlossBlack looks the best for the vents. Used Tamiya's silver PaintMarker for the bonnet bits and the tail vent's surround. Taillights used X-orange and X-red, works better than original idea of clear red/orange + silver backing. The white bit in front can be glossy, it looks fine.

quote:try masking the black trimming around the windshield. Whew!

id=quote>id=quote>

This was actually the easiest part to paint by hand. When handpainted from the inside, the rib is the perfect brush guide for a #2 brush.

quote:Fortunately these days, Tamiya lexan bodies require only one color, the rest is taken care of by the decals.

id=quote>id=quote>

Ugh, decals leave something to be desired and its corners can lift over time. Some bodies look better with the window frames hand painted black instead of the stickers - also makes subsequent body masking a lot easier.

Lexus_IS200.jpg

In my opinion Datsun 280 ZX (#58022) and VW Golf Racing (#58025) must be one of the difficults Tamiya R/C-kits for painting.

Yes, have painted both the 959 and Golf and especially the Golf is a nightmare, as the are no decals on the transition of colours like in the 959. Also you have to find lexan and hard plastic colours that match. Somehow I find hard bodies much easier to paint and especially to mask, maybe my hands are too big? LOL

Which were the most difficult decals for you to apply? For me Schnitzer M3 (too many decals and blue surface decals) and 935 (**** old waterslides LOL) check also http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=396

tttlogo.gif

http://www.vintagetamiyarc.com/

quote:

Which were the most difficult decals for you to apply?

id=quote>id=quote>

Raybrig NSX 2000 belongs up there too...

Hmmmmmmmm - AXIA SKYLINE TA02 ........ FREAKIN nightmare !!

Hard bodies are easy compared to the more complex lexans like the GRB and 959.

I will be doing all of the red sections of my new built GRB with paint - the decals are pretty poor - and actually with carefull masking - the red will look alot neater.

Cheers

Darryn

Want more than Just Tamiya ??

webpagelink.JPG

Visit my page !!

quote:

We skipped the whole masking bit and just painted everything by hand. Tamiya's white and blue PC paints cover pretty well, and with about 3-4 coats no brushmarks will show. There was no benefit imho in using the airbrush, takes too long for those wide expanses.

Imho Tamiya X18 SemiGlossBlack looks the best for the vents. Used Tamiya's silver PaintMarker for the bonnet bits and the tail vent's surround. Taillights used X-orange and X-red, works better than original idea of clear red/orange + silver backing. The white bit in front can be glossy, it looks fine.

This was actually the easiest part to paint by hand. When handpainted from the inside, the rib is the perfect brush guide for a #2 brush.

Ugh, decals leave something to be desired and its corners can lift over time. Some bodies look better with the window frames hand painted black instead of the stickers - also makes subsequent body masking a lot easier.

id=quote>id=quote>

PandaBear! For Christmas, I'll wish for skills like yours.

quote:

For Christmas, I'll wish for skills like yours.

id=quote>id=quote>

Haha, after detailing 1/24 bodies, a 1/12 or 1/10's details is huge by comparison. Good practice working on the smaller fellas.

But as for dreaming of repainting a 1:64 Bit Char-G... uhoh!! icon_smile_dead.gif