Sign in to follow this  
94grasshopper

Grasshopper Road Tires

Buggy Champ/Rough Rider/Brat wheels/tyres are as close as you will get to an onroad tyre without changing the rear to a hex drive.

Once you change to a 12mm hex drive, you can fit a tourer rim/tyre on the rear. Carson make a nice set of 'onroad' wide and narrow 2WD buggy wheels that fit on a 12mm hex on the rear and 2 bearings in the front rim. There's a few examples of these in showrooms fitted to Grasshoppers.

Brat wheels & tires do pretty well on pavement:

DSCN1910.jpg

Or you can buy HPI or Tamiya 12mm hex adapters and fit most regular buggy wheels & tires. These are 2.0 Road Hawgs I think, on DT-02 wheels. The fronts are standard touring car tires on Tamiya QD wheels - no mods, they bolt right on.

DSCN1698.jpg

I managed to mount the tires from a Group C car (Mazda 787b) by using a 14mm Traxxas hex-adapter and some spacers, the front fits with no modification...

The problem is finding the green bits...

dsc06605de.th.jpg

dsc06602n.th.jpg

I'm curious about those front rims - do they run on the 8.5mm bearing? with the stock Hopper upright?

Or you can buy HPI or Tamiya 12mm hex adapters and fit most regular buggy wheels & tires. These are 2.0 Road Hawgs I think, on DT-02 wheels. The fronts are standard touring car tires on Tamiya QD wheels - no mods, they bolt right on.

DSCN1698.jpg

I'm curious about those front rims - do they run on the 8.5mm bearing? with the stock Hopper upright?

Yup, everything is stock. Used the same bearings from the worn out stock wheels and bolted the QD rims on with a set of Tamiya 1/10th radials. No mods to the uprights or shock towers at all.

The QD rims come in a variety of colors, as long as it's silver or white. :) They come in a packet of four and cost very little. The QD rear wheels are useless with a very tiny hex [smaller than tamtech even...] so I just toss them in the bin.

I have two pairs of NIB Duratrax front slicks 1.4 tires. They are great onroad.

Pics of these? Never seen them...

DSC03470s.jpg

My Grasshopper II sports vintage Proline Strikers mounted on 2" Imex RC10 wheels, rear wheels are fitted with modified adaptors form an HPI 6120 Rear Adapter Set.

Wow, those look great on the Ghopper II. Great looking buggy - the whole package really looks great.