akemag

Bought The New Holiday Buggy? Post Here!

Mine arrived yesterday :( going to build it tonight and rag its nuts off tomorrow :D

Mine is totally standard except for bearings everywhere - wow the motor is.....

Slow!

Only my old nimh's fit so will be dremmeling away to get a lipo in there, and honestly i will probably leave it at that - although slow its a great buggy to drive.

The wife loves it and its nice to have a car to be able to let 'newbies' use without fear of them breaking it!

buggy002.jpg

Cant believe it! Got stung for taxes from Stella :angry: Have never happened before from Japan/HK etc, only from USA. Darn...

With the import tax, is it still cheaper to buy from overseas than from your LHS? ( I would guess is still yes? and HS with only retail business will not last long)

With the import tax, is it still cheaper to buy from overseas than from your LHS? ( I would guess is still yes? and HS with only retail business will not last long)

I very much doubt it is cheaper to buy a HB2010 from overseas even if you don't get a customs charge.

UK prices with free postage are typically under £80. HK prices via ebay seem to be £85 including the postage, and likely to be another £25 charge if customs take an interest.

You'd be crazy not to support the UK shops if you want a Holiday Buggy.

You're going to hate me for this...........

I just brought a holiday buggy two days ago from Modelsports actual shop in Otley (was up in Leeds for a conference), however when I got it back to the hotel I realised the model had the 380 motor.

To be honest I love the look of the model, and I really wanted a fun 2WD to mess around in the garden with my lunchbox, but £80 for the kit with no bearings, no oil filled dampers and no 540 motor meant I swapped it in for the £99 Sand Viper.

Heresy I know, but I wanted something my wife could run, and I just figured it was missing a few too many bits.

You're going to hate me for this...........

I just brought a holiday buggy two days ago from Modelsports actual shop in Otley (was up in Leeds for a conference), however when I got it back to the hotel I realised the model had the 380 motor.

To be honest I love the look of the model, and I really wanted a fun 2WD to mess around in the garden with my lunchbox, but £80 for the kit with no bearings, no oil filled dampers and no 540 motor meant I swapped it in for the £99 Sand Viper.

Heresy I know, but I wanted something my wife could run, and I just figured it was missing a few too many bits.

I intended to fit brushless in mine (only a 12t one though) so just got it without esc and a set of bearings for£ 72 from time tunnel so think it's a bit of a bargain. :angry:

I already am considering nodding the motor mount to fit different pinions in it ( looks like a small dremel job) I am quite happy with the pogos ATM, if I do decide to put proper dampers on, I'll get the aluminium ones from 3 racing as they are cheap and reliable.

... You'd be crazy not to support the UK shops if you want a Holiday Buggy ...

about £71 from HK (incl postage) and £80 from UK (not incl postage)? A little bit more for insurance of not being 'hit'.

I dont think any Swedish shop carries the HB, or any Tamiya actually now. We had one who went belly up some time ago. Correct me Badboy, or anyone else from Sweden here.

I surely could buy from a UK dealer, since i´d not have to worry about taxes at least. I actually just didnt think about that.

Hopefully mine was despatched today (been on holiday so got Time Tunnel to delay it for me) - cant wait to get cracking on it ;)

I dont think any Swedish shop carries the HB, or any Tamiya actually now. We had one who went belly up some time ago. Correct me Badboy, or anyone else from Sweden here.

I surely could buy from a UK dealer, since i´d not have to worry about taxes at least. I actually just didnt think about that.

In my experience, sadly, package shipping from UK to continental Europe is quite expensive. I cannot grasp how small businesses live with the charges - It effectively renders them uncompetitive. Germany or The Netherlands have nice pricing.

Got home and started my build last night - its certainly a simple little chassis to put together! The 380 motor is tiny!

Painting the shell accessories will probably be the most time consuming part but as its all about the look I want to do it properly.

No photos yet but I finished my HB2010 last night - took it for a run outside - its not as slow as I expected to be honest - certainly plenty fast enough for my little lad to play with when he gets a bit bigger :) Might drop in the Sport Tuned I have sitting about just to see how it goes though!

Really looking forward to building mine. I´m of for a vacation for a month or so. So it´ll have to wait though.

:) I just got mine!!!!! Pity the bearings I need for it costs half the price of the actual kit. Can't wait to dig in and assemble it.

I've followed all the posts on it being not the same as the original etc, etc, etc...... But all I can say in defence is that for someone who has never seen an original, THIS BUGGY ROCKS!!!!

Wish the day was over to go home and build it!!

Henk :)

Hi,

Slightly of topic........just wanted to ask if the Holiday Buggy body will fit onto my Desert Gator, it obviously shares the same chassis but the front wishbones look different so i'm unsure if this will cause a problem?

cheers in advance for any advice.

Been building mine this week ... I'm fairly impressed with the chassis - with a sport tuned motor & oil shocks all round it looked quite good on my test drive (flat out along & off the sofa :D ) - the only boneheaded thing I've seen so far is the ludicrous toe-in increase when the front suspension compresses ...

But ... I messed the paint up, big time - at first I thought the only way to salvage it would be to dump it in the dustbin under cover of darkness, then put on a disguise and buy a replacement body ...

Having already pretty much committed to that, I thought I'd give chemically stripping it a go - if it melted, I wouldn't have lost anything ... but to my surprise, hammerite "metal" stripper did a pretty good job & didn't affect the poly body at all - having left it overnight, I've given it a good twisting & a good thwacking, and it doesn't seem to have gone brittle either :(

Hi,

Slightly of topic........just wanted to ask if the Holiday Buggy body will fit onto my Desert Gator, it obviously shares the same chassis but the front wishbones look different so i'm unsure if this will cause a problem?

cheers in advance for any advice.

The Desert Gator shares the chassis with the HB, but it has adjustable upper front "wishbone". You should be able to interchange the two versions. Personally, I don't use the adjust option much, so I find the HB (same as Super Fighter G) wishbone assembly stronger and more stable than the Gator's.

forgot to ask,Akemag, is it better to order a few things at one time from stella? ive only had experience with RC.Mart and they seem to add up postage on each individual thing.

Well the more weight you put in a package, the more its going to be..

I tend to order stuff together as it works out less in the long run.

I cant wait to build my Holiday Buggy, though should have order bearings with it at the time, doh! :D

I bought 2 last week.After reading all the forums I figured what the heck.They brought back good memories,as I bought both my boys each one of the originals when they first came out and I got a Super Champ (that I still have). they had a great time running and breaking them!! trying to keep up with the S C. I will be doing upgrades with a sports tuned motor in one and a dirt tuned in the other,narrow the front and rear,and Suspension improvements.

I enjoy reading about the builds and ideas so keep them coming.

quickwedge

Oh, I missed the creation of this thread. Yep, and building it completely not by the book :lol:

Completed mine today - pretty much by the book, but fully ballraced and colour scheme dffers slightly from the box-art.

I am very, very pleased with it. It's a great looking buggy and goes together well. It is true that the finishing and detail takes much longer than the actual build, but it is nice enough to be a static model (which it won't be!)

img280_18112010134557_3.jpg

Pretty much finished mine put some mesh under holes in bonnet, think it looks better than shocks poking out also narrowed suspension. Taken alongside my newly finished Buggy champ, wild one and sand rover.

Here's mine (& my daughter's Rising Fighter). I kept the roof & interior base white as I think it looks good, and I can see them getting scratched / chipped if painted. Pretty pleased with it. These are my first builds for quite some time (other than a basic Mardave Mini):

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg