akemag

Bought The New Holiday Buggy? Post Here!

Got mine today. Not sure what to do with it??

gather up some bearings and build .....whats it like in the flesh?

Got mine today. Not sure what to do with it??

I´d pull an all nighter with that one! Perfect tomorrow when it´s saturday, wake up and out you go for a gentl-ish drive with it :lol:

in the flesh its better than expected, a bit gawky form some angles but on the whole not to bad. Only built mine with bearings as yet and it runs surprisingly well with the 380 motor and friction shocks, far better than i remember a 380 going many moons ago. Just applying the decals as i type (forgot how tricky the light blue on the wheel arches can be) and will go buy the paint to finish tommorow.

The box is small, but so cool with the old style art and the instruction booklet seems bigger than normal to me (in dimensions)

in the flesh its better than expected, a bit gawky form some angles but on the whole not to bad. Only built mine with bearings as yet and it runs surprisingly well with the 380 motor and friction shocks, far better than i remember a 380 going many moons ago. Just applying the decals as i type (forgot how tricky the light blue on the wheel arches can be) and will go buy the paint to finish tommorow.

The box is small, but so cool with the old style art and the instruction booklet seems bigger than normal to me (in dimensions)

im sure ive had those type of shocks on something before? inside the cyclinder is a rubber tube you grease isnt it? i think that they may be perfect for running with a 380 motor..bouncy looking ride over subtle bumps.

i must admit im really looking forward to getting mine even more! and i was vocal on slating the poor little mite to start with..shame on me! :blink:

yep, grease up the rubber tube on the friction shocks :blink:

great! i remember now..it was my friends Madcap. and im sure my M04 Beetle is similar. they can be very undampening? if greased well but i guess that adds to the fun (Lunchbox etc)

is the shell kinda rubbery to the touch? i ask as i recall my FAV rollcage was bendy plastic and (areas that hadnt been chewed by possibly a dog?) were quite smooth .i sanded some of the surface down and it went kinda furry..for want of a better description.

do you think thats why Tamiya say its not suitable for painting? if you try to "key" the surface for paint it goes grainy/furry?

great! i remember now..it was my friends Madcap. and im sure my M04 Beetle is similar. they can be very undampening? if greased well but i guess that adds to the fun (Lunchbox etc)

is the shell kinda rubbery to the touch? i ask as i recall my FAV rollcage was bendy plastic and (areas that hadnt been chewed by possibly a dog?) were quite smooth .i sanded some of the surface down and it went kinda furry..for want of a better description.

do you think thats why Tamiya say its not suitable for painting? if you try to "key" the surface for paint it goes grainy/furry?

Ive sanded them down and used tetrosyl plastic primer and sprayed them up no prob in the past, yes its quite a flexible plastic so it could crack/flake off but no more so than if you roll a painted hard shell

good to hear....im sure my past painting exploits had poor results due to my "primer?...nah.. i dont need primer!" approach to painting! :blink:

I honestly like the looks of the 2010 HB and I really want one..., so I've just bought a 4x4 Slash.. :)

LOL! :blink:

i was on ebay last night and i was sorely tempted to buy a TT01 Lancia Delta with my Holiday "fund"! :lol:

LOL! :blink:

i was on ebay last night and i was sorely tempted to buy a TT01 Lancia Delta with my Holiday "fund"! :lol:

I guess my HB will have to wait a month or two..., but really, I'd like one. :) Too many RC stuff on my "want/need/must-have" list.. :o

hi JAnderson.

nice build article! PLease ,please dont think im being a nit picker,i only mention this as its such a beginners model and in such a prominent website regarding advice for the Tamiya newcomer...

to avoid confusion for the newcomer to the hobby could i put a few suggestions to you?

the build process seems to have like 5 photo's of the half assembled front end when the text is instructing of other build steps.

the new 540 mod should say a 17 TOOTH pinion. it say's 17 turn and this may get confused with motor ratings later on?

as mentioned earlier i only bring these points to your attention as your build article is such a neat idea to give a novice complete assurance he/she is building their model correctly and cool ideas to enhance or personalise it! ;)

i wasnt sure of the pitch.so 0.8 is like Frog/Thundershot chunky gears...

so Brat/Grasshopper 380 motor used straight over. cool.

So looking at the parts required to fit a 540 - its just the "cardboard" motor plate, a grub screw and the 17 tooth pinion - as I have a spare 15t Thundershot pinion lying around and plenty of the motor plate things I can just drop a silvercan and the 15t pinion in and the only difference will be a little bit better acceleration and a slightly lower top speed?

I think I have that right...? :)

So looking at the parts required to fit a 540 - its just the "cardboard" motor plate, a grub screw and the 17 tooth pinion - as I have a spare 15t Thundershot pinion lying around and plenty of the motor plate things I can just drop a silvercan and the 15t pinion in and the only difference will be a little bit better acceleration and a slightly lower top speed?

I think I have that right...? :)

Unfortunatly the DT02 only use two pinion ratios 17 tooth and 19 tooth..?? preset on the gearbox itself..guess its to ensure the mesh is right?Tamiya do this alot! :)

Unfortunatly the DT02 only use two pinion ratios 17 tooth and 19 tooth..?? preset on the gearbox itself..guess its to ensure the mesh is right?Tamiya do this alot! :)

You mean no adjustable motor mount? Fail... :)

On the Modelsport website it looks like RW racing dont do a 17t pinion in 32dp.... Might drop them a mail to see if they do...

You mean no adjustable motor mount? Fail... :)

On the Modelsport website it looks like RW racing dont do a 17t pinion in 32dp.... Might drop them a mail to see if they do...

Traxxas has an optional 17T steel 32dp pinion for the E-Maxx. Part #3947. The 19T 32dp steel pinion is part #3949. I use a 14T E-Maxx 32dp steel pinion in my brushless Fox.

Robinson Racing also have a full range of 32dp steel pinions with a 3.2mm bore. Be carfeul you don't accidently buy a pinion for a 5mm bore as they make these too. I have the Robinson Racing 17T 32dp steel pinions in my DT01 and DT02s. Part number RRP0170.

Traxxas has an optional 17T steel 32dp pinion for the E-Maxx. Part #3947. The 19T 32dp steel pinion is part #3949. I use a 14T E-Maxx 32dp steel pinion in my brushless Fox.

Robinson Racing also have a full range of 32dp steel pinions with a 3.2mm bore. Be carfeul you don't accidently buy a pinion for a 5mm bore as they make these too. I have the Robinson Racing 17T 32dp steel pinions in my DT01 and DT02s. Part number RRP0170.

Thanks Mark - cheapest way to do it for me was to buy a Traxxas 3947 from jsourbeck in the USA - £3.30 posted! Bargain! :)

I would love one but this part put me off...

"Appears from (tentative info) to be running a 380 motor"

Will you be able to fit a 540 motor or am I dreaming?

Read my posts above Andy! :)

Remove the 380S motor and the adapter plate that it screws to, then bolt a 540 straight in as it would fit in any other DT02. You will also need a regular DT02 sized pinion, as described above.