chief5437

Volvo 850 Btcc Help

i have an old volvo 850 btcc (ff01 chassis, i think). i'm converting it to a hummvee with a scratch built body.

couple of questions:

can i lock the diff on this chassis, if so, any ideas how?

is there any way of slowing the top speed down (gearing maybe?), i dont want to go fast, just as rough as i can with a fwd car!

i've fiddled around with the suspension and managed to get the ground clearance to 40mm (with the aid of sdi trail doctor tyres too), is there any other suspension i could swap to get more?

if there are any simple/cheap solutions, i'd love to hear but nothing too demanding or expensive, this is just a little project to keep my going while i save for a cr01 kit!

cheers

i have an old volvo 850 btcc (ff01 chassis, i think). i'm converting it to a hummvee with a scratch built body.

couple of questions:

can i lock the diff on this chassis, if so, any ideas how?

is there any way of slowing the top speed down (gearing maybe?), i dont want to go fast, just as rough as i can with a fwd car!

i've fiddled around with the suspension and managed to get the ground clearance to 40mm (with the aid of sdi trail doctor tyres too), is there any other suspension i could swap to get more?

if there are any simple/cheap solutions, i'd love to hear but nothing too demanding or expensive, this is just a little project to keep my going while i save for a cr01 kit!

cheers

Welcome on board :lol:

An off road FF01? You must be mad ... sorry, I mean "You'll fit in here just fine" :D

Most obvious way to slow the car down is to fit a lower turn motor - the higher the turns (number of winds of wire round the spinny bit) motor, the slower it goes. The stock "silvercan" motor that comes with pretty much every RC car is 27 turns, look for a crawler motor of 50 to 60 turns.

I locked the diff on a frog with a very cheap method - clean any grease off the gears - but don't use solvent, you need to keep a layer of grease on there - then reassemble with a load of araldite in there. The thin layer of grease means you can peel the glue off later if you want too. Other options are blu tac, or hot melt glue :D

I drove the FF01 as a Buggy (DF01 suspension arms), great fun I tell you :lol: However, I wouldn't lock the diff; it would make the understeer pretty bad. You can put a gear diff from the TA02 in it if you dremel away one of the mounts for the top gearbox cover - which partially holds the front shock tower. All in all a bad idea as some people already managed to break that part of the car onroad :D

I drove the FF01 as a Buggy (DF01 suspension arms), great fun I tell you ;) However, I wouldn't lock the diff; it would make the understeer pretty bad. You can put a gear diff from the TA02 in it if you dremel away one of the mounts for the top gearbox cover - which partially holds the front shock tower. All in all a bad idea as some people already managed to break that part of the car onroad :lol:

thanks for the info, i have another small problem. sometimes my car has a mind of its own and just sets off on its own! is this just down to transmitter batteries being low? even when i turn the main switch on the car to the off position, it continues to run. any ideas? cheers

post-34559-1281897263_thumb.jpg