Propilot

Past Racers

Did Tamiya ever produce a competitive ROAR off-road racer through the 1990’s through present? I know back when I raced in the mid-eighties, the AE RC10 dominated the off-road course.

They made a couple valiant attempts, but nothing that could compete with the RC10/Losi/Ultima trifecta, at least not in the US.

In the early 90s, the magazines made a lot of noise about the Astute being competitive, but it never amounted to much. And I know the Dyna Storm has a loyal following on here, but I've never actually seen one on a US track. It might have been competitive, but it certainly wasn't popular.

I don't know how they performed in the US, but here in the UK Tamiya made a pretty serious effort to make the Manta Ray family competitive. It helped that they signed up one of the best drivers in the country at the time, Jamie Booth.

There are some other posts on the board that might include more references, but basically the Manta Ray got developed through and beyond the Top Force Evolution spec, and took the BRCA 4wd championship. Not sure how successful the Astute-Dynastorm was (not even sure if it was raced by him!).

They moved on to some prototype cars but then the project fizzled out and they never saw production.

More recently, the TR501X came out, and its successor the TRF511 is the European and British champion. The TRF201 will probably do quite well also.

I recall some mention of Jamie Booth and an Astute in RC Car magazine way back.Unfortunately i dont recall any location or podium etc?think it must have been around 1990?

I recall some mention of Jamie Booth and an Astute in RC Car magazine way back.Unfortunately i dont recall any location or podium etc?think it must have been around 1990?

I have a Jamie Booth mantaray. It has a chassis made for saddlepacks.

I don't think he raced an astute.

I'm pretty sure he did race an Astute. I remember reading an article where they discussed how he replaced some of the "over complicated" Astute suspension pieces with more durable, simpler Madcap ones.

Ah yes, I remember that article now. I was very proud to know that my Madcap (with CVA shocks and the metal motor plate!) was SUPERIOR to an Astute!

Jamie Booth Works Astute article Click Here

1991!!!! i cant remember what i had for dinner last night but i can remember that article?! :lol:

im pretty sure the reason i bought that magazine was to get the Radio Race Car stickers that came with it! still got them on my handset and pit box...seems abit of a 7-UP Fido Dido rip off character they used?baggy trousered ...spikey haired fella :wub:

Ah yes, I remember that article now. I was very proud to know that my Madcap (with CVA shocks and the metal motor plate!) was SUPERIOR to an Astute!

Doh! now I remember that article. It's why my Madcap had those option parts fitted as well. The madcap is a good handling car with the right mods. I raced mine again recently and won the buggy heat at my club (x6's cats etc) although truth be said it was due to me having a load of consistent races as opposed to really fast ones :D

Still it provided us all with a good laugh and a few jokey offers of a swap or two

Also, I remember hearing about a hybrid Dyna Storm (211?) used by a UK racer during the early 90's, is this true??

Also, I remember hearing about a hybrid Dyna Storm (211?) used by a UK racer during the early 90's, is this true??

Yes. The DS Evo / DL project was inspired as a development from the 211x. Some photos from right here on TC:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...49&sid=5594

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...1&sid=22258

note the plastic tub