Sign in to follow this  
markbt73

Which Car Should Go Brushless?

I have a Leopard brushless combo on the way, but I didn't really give much thought as to which car I should use it in. The contenders are:

Lunchbox re-re: has oil shocks and some other minor suspension mods. Much more stable and controllable than stock.

Wild Dagger: Front drivetrain removed, so it's 2WD. Basically a Blackfoot Extreme with a Lexan body. Has Associated shocks for nice cushy suspension, but has sloppy steering and suspension arms.

Stadium Thunder: Old and worn, bought used and abused. Currently in pieces, but I could put it back together. I'd have to steal back the shocks and wheels and tires from the Lunchbox to make it complete.

All have full ball bearings.

Anyone run a mild brushless setup (like an EZrun) in any of these? What are they like to drive?

I recently installed a 9t EZrun in my Blackfoot extreme and it really flies now. B)

So far the only thing thats broken is the stupid rear bodymounts!

One problem though is that a hardcase lipo wont fit in the battery holder :lol:

so i had to mount it on top of the chassie giving it a bit high COG.

I'd put it in the Stadium Thunder...

I have put my 3300kv setup in both my re-re lunchbox and my stadium blitzer, (I also have a rwd wild dagger, but that doesn't even have radio gear at the mo) and I agree with Grunt, stick it in the Stadium Thunder. The lunchbox will have more 'character' (also upsidedown character) but it doesn't put the power to the ground as well as the Stadiums do. Oh and now your lunchbox and Stadium Thunder can both visit Wheelie Central B)

Dont forget a RR 13t steel onion :lol:

OK, so I put it in the Stadium Thunder, and had overpowered, silly fun for about five minutes, before it started grinding and popping every time I hit the throttle.

The oft-maligned aluminum motor pinion actually did just fine.

The outdrive splines on the diff, on the other hand...

DSCF0319.JPG

Hey I saw those leopard brushless systems on sale too. I don't want to derail the thread, but what do you think of it? How's the quality seem? (Thanks)

The outdrive splines on the diff, on the other hand...

I loctite the outdrive cups into the diffs when I fit brushless, especially on ball diffs with their short outdrive splines. Saves shearing off the splines as the outdrive cup tends to move in and out of the diff as the suspension moves.