Sign in to follow this  
Dan DT-02

Stock Upgrade

Hi Everyone,

I have been using the stock motor in my Dt-02 for a while but cant seem to get much speed. I was looking to upgrade but i don't know what to get. Sport Tuned, Dirt Tuned, or go brushless.

Any suggestions are good but i really want to try and keep the costs low.

Currently using the stock TEU 101 Speed controller too.

Thanks

I have a MambaMax 4600Kv brushless combo in my DT02MS, 17T steel pinion. It runs well, temperatures are good, speed is great, runtimes are ~30min with a 4000mAh Li-Po 7.4v.

In the 2nd DT02 (My son's Sand Viper) there's a 27T Dirt Tuned and TEU101BK, 19T steel pinion. Goes quick enough for him to try to control.

Both of my DT02s have ball diffs fitted and full bearings.

Ok That motor seems quite pricey but the dirt tuned sounds good. Problem is iv read other post saying that the sport tuned is more fun than the dirt.

I would recommend either the sport or dirt tuned. They both work fine with the teu-101 ESC and won't overheat. The battery run times are very good and the improvement in speed from a silver can motor is quite noticeable. You will enjoy either one and neither cost much.

My 2 cents worth.

Also consider that batteries and how they are charged can affect performance.

Also consider that batteries and how they are charged can affect performance.

Whats the best way to charge? Slow charge, fast charge and car charge are my options.

Butler is dead right.

The Sport tuned has become my go to motor. I pretty much put it in everything.

It's affordable and a little faster than standard silver at top speed but it's real advantage seems to be torque, in that respect I find it a lot better than the silver cans.

I didn't realise however until recently just how much impact batteries can have. I was using a variety of Nicads and Nihms all of varying capacity (nearly always quick charged) but recently switched to Lipo and crikey moses - the difference is extremely noticable! More speed, longer battery life and lovely smooth power delivery.

I'm well pleased and will stick with Lipos from now on.

Olly

I put a 15x2 V2 motor in mine with a 17t pinion and with a Yeah Racing 3200mAH LiPo it is perfect, I'm running a Mtronik 11t ESC I bought for £15 from TimeTunnel or some other english shop...

Try a TACON 3900kv or 4300kv brushless motor and a eZRun 35A ESC. The TACON motors are about $23 so no reason to go with the brushed Tamiya motors...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m15-car-2848-3900.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m11-car-2848-4300.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/hobbywing-ezrun-...shless-esc.html

Total cost should be around $60.

You could go even cheaper if you get the 25A ESC paired with a 3000kv TACON motor.

Whats the best way to charge? Slow charge, fast charge and car charge are my options.

Charge at 1C. Which is 1x capacity, so the battery will always take around an hour to charge.

A 3000Mah batt at 3Amps. 1800Mah at 1.8 AMps etc.

That appears to be a safe figure for performance and battery life.