Sign in to follow this  
floppydisk35

Custom Alum Plates For The Ff01..

A picture says a thousand words, so I'll just post the pics first.

xfp56p.jpg

rs99xw.jpg

xrvja.jpg

The Final result, something I'm REALLY proud of :lol:

2e37rwy.jpg

So, what can say about those plates... Well, I designed the plates myself with a drawing board and a pen, and erm.... Well, I took idea from the FRP chassis for the FF01 and TA02, but I didn't want them to be just that, a squarish plate supporting the chassis from the top end, thus I applied a couple of curves around which gave it a medieval and a somewhat evil look. Reuben (my friend) then proceeded into cutting them with a jigsaw, something which somewhat scared me. I think it was the sound it was making.....

Anyway, the battery packs are being held with two pieces of Velcro, but as a plate it was designed around my LiPo packs, but there is a little extra space for longer packs I might obtain someday or other. Also, Reuben and I may start to take orders on the plates. I may also design new plates for the user, tailor made plates, that is. So yeah, this thread is both to brag about the plates, and for maybe picking up a customer here on Tamiya Club :P BTW, the prices are negotiable :wub:

But on the whole, I'm very happy with the results obtained. I still have to test them out, so tomorrow I'll respond to this thread on how they performed and everything :(

Also, what do you think of the aesthetic side of these plates?

Thanks for reading!

Paul! (and Reuben, too :P)

Love the "tribal" spikes on the top deck :D

How's the weight, and the front/rear balance? Any signs of reduced twist resistance?

I don't like the meccano on the back - you've obviously got the skills, so can't you make a big black pair of antlers to replace that? ;)

Love the "tribal" spikes on the top deck :D

How's the weight, and the front/rear balance? Any signs of reduced twist resistance?

I don't like the meccano on the back - you've obviously got the skills, so can't you make a big black pair of antlers to replace that? ;)

Hi, thanks for the comment ;) Anyway, that Meccano is only to hold the body in place (a Golf Mk.5), since I was back on a tight budget at the time I did that. :P

To be honest I think unless it saves on weight and offers more rigidity, then it looks like a step backwards for me, especially considering that at least from photos it seems to me that probably it will weight more and twist more too.

Do let us know how it goes though, and I hope I'm wrong and it goes well

Today Reuben gave me back the FF01, and tomorrow I should be testing the car out..

To be honest I think unless it saves on weight and offers more rigidity, then it looks like a step backwards for me, especially considering that at least from photos it seems to me that probably it will weight more and twist more too.

Do let us know how it goes though, and I hope I'm wrong and it goes well

When I weighed the car, it resulted at around 1.1kg, something to which I believe is more than the car with the original plastic tub, by around 100g. Also, the car does flex a bit when twisted with your own hands, but nothing too drastic. We had discussed about using 1.5mm plates instead of 1mm, but this would actually result in a heavier car.....

Yeah..it's going downfall. Tomorrow I'll test the car out.....God I'm feeling so deluded right now.....