Sign in to follow this  
xudel

New To Tamiyaclub

Hello, I'm new but a long time RC fan. I got my first RC when I was around 13. It was a 1/12 Marui Big Bear Datsun. That little truck seemed indestructible and really sparked my interest in hobby class rc. Once I got a job and was able to save up enough money I purchased the Tamiya 1/10 scale king cab. I remember going to the hobby store and buying that truck, how excited I was to get it home and crack the box open. I remember sitting at the kitchen table putting it together, ever so carefully, checking and re-checking everything before I assembled it. I remember deciding the colors and painting the body, purchasing my remote and running the tires bald.

When I turned 18 a friend convinced me to race the king cab. I didn't want to race at first because I didn't think it would race well, sitting up so high compared to my friends cars that hugged the road. But I went regardless and raced it and lost but boy was it fun. I took my king cab home with a new mission and was off to the hobby store, where I bought new street tires, new shocks and springs and set the king cab about 1/2" off the ground. Took it back to race my second week and lost. I was fortunate enough to win a motor in a drawing, which I used to upgrade my stock king cab motor the next week. The following week I won my race. I don't even remember what I won, maybe another motor or some spare batteries but it was great fun. Everyone congradulated me and one father was amazed at what I had done to the king cab.

I sold both my trucks when I went away to college. Here 18 years later a friend gives me his old gas rc car. Well that got me thinking about my old King Cab which got me looking to purchase one. All I have of my old RC Trucks are the manuals.

Here are some images

Body isn't in bad condition. I'd say it is fair.

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0001.jpg

It needs to be cleaned up

DSCF0006.jpg

Tires seem to be in fairly good condition

DSCF0007.jpg

My hope is this winter I can take it apart, clean it up and restore it. Considering getting the replica body and decals.

I was also considering looking for the roger mears decals and going with that setup. Though I'm not sure how rare these decals are.

Welcome to TC. Hope it doesn't hurt the wallet to much and that you have endless days of fun with your cars and here on the club.

Henk :unsure:

Welcome to Tamiyaclub, I liked the photo's that brings back memories!

PS: Belated congratulations on winning the race ;)

Welcome to TC.. great story, and you'll find a lot of members with very similar ones.

You can also expect to have a lot more cars than just the one by this time next year ;)

welcome to tamiya club, the best rc webiste ever!

there's such a wealth of knowledge here it's insane. the guys are as friendly as it gets.

you'll love it here, check your wallet at the door. ;)

Was going through my stuff looking for my old manuals for my King Cab and Big Bear and found this..

DSCF0013.jpg

Found Roger Mear's decals.

Bought two replica bodies.

Bought orginal decals for king cab.

I work for a company that is able to do high resolution scans, scanned and cleaned up the decals and ran a proof to compare color. Really close, I think the yellow is just a hair off, but not bad at all. Better than I expected.

Now I'm searching for some who can print them on vinyl stickers for me. I have a few leads so we'll see how it pans out.

Welcome to TC .

That was a nice story to read I hope you enjoy the hobby and share many more great stories in the future .

Stuart.

HELLO and WELCOME

Always nice to meet new members, I liked your determination at the races, WELL DONE !!

If you get struck with the printing, you'll definately find someone here who can print them, maybe 'Tamyioman'

Look forward to seeing the resto!!

Welcome to Tamiya Club bud, the most awesome club ever. Great story about your king Cab. I know what you mean about the racing thing. My first RC was a lunch box and i tried to take that racing, and never won anything but it was really good fun though. i put a huge motor in it and pretty much never used the front wheels as it was on its wheely bar most of the time, which made cornering entertaining :-)

I recon with a good strip down clean and re-grease your King Cab will be great. I really love these trucks ive bought and sold 2 of them now and remember when i first got into to RC this was my favourite truck ever. Im about to buy my third as i just cant live without one.

Hope you enjoy the club as much as we all do. They are a fantastic bunch of people, and allways there to help

Baggey