cobalt

Grasshopper Vs Hornet

Hey guys

I always wanted a Hornet but looking at the grasshopper i guess i am starting to lust over it!

My questions are as follows

-Does the Hornet live rear axle make a huge difference vs the grashopper?

-If ii want to upgrade the grasshopper rear suspension with hornet dampers do i need to buy the entire "D" parts tree?

Thanks

I never had a hornet, but my re-re grasshopper now has oil filled rear shocks! it made a really big difference over the stock plastic spring "toy" shocks. I say go for whichever one you like the looks of best. It's not too big of a deal to add real rear shocks to the grasshopper. Neither have independent rear suspension so the best you're gonna get out of either will be "real" shocks.

I never had a hornet, but my re-re grasshopper now has oil filled rear shocks! it made a really big difference over the stock plastic spring "toy" shocks. I say go for whichever one you like the looks of best. It's not too big of a deal to add real rear shocks to the grasshopper. Neither have independent rear suspension so the best you're gonna get out of either will be "real" shocks.

Which shocks(brand) did you use? have pics?

Also i read somewhere that under acceleration the rear end of the Hornet "twisted" and some people "locked" the slots where the gearbox slides!!

Did you notice this trait on your Hornet?

Thanks

Also i read somewhere that under acceleration the rear end of the Hornet "twisted" and some people "locked" the slots where the gearbox slides!!

Thanks

I once ran a 13t quad in a hornet and this never happened. I can't see how it would ever twist as the torque is in the reAr pod.

The d parts are needed to make the rear bar of the grasshopper move more freely like the hornet.

They are both much the same, the gh looks better but it's even worse handling than the hornet due to the read pod movement and 380 motor.

Btw The new holiday buggy is a similar price and that's on a nice chassis

Thanks

Again, I never had a hornet, but no, rear part never locked up my grasshopper. Here is a link to my grasshopper thread on rc10talk with pics of the shocks: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16199

I have a fully hopped up Hopper with the original "HP-Supension kit", or what it was called. Basically it upgrades it to Hornet specs. Made a big difference. I have Super Stock in it now, and though it sure still can be unstable going fast, its clearly is better than before.

Still, i think i´m getting another Hopper with the original 380 and stock supension, just for the fun of it...

Either car you will find fantastic fun and literally INDESTRUCTIBLE!

Good story here..... the ONLY way my grasshopper sustained any damage was....

1. my brother was running it, and I accidentally smashed into the side with an aluminum gold pan RC10 (left light broke off at the body)... REPAIRED

2. again, my brother was running it and he had flipped it over.... I was going to try to turn him right side up (again with the aluminum RC10)...well it wasn't pretty... the back spoiler part of the body had a big chunk smashed out of it because I was running too fast. REPAIRED...and broke again in a flip....REPAIRED again

New bodies are only about $20 on ebay, and I already had a spare so no big deal :lol: This thing has been catapulted in the air, flipped and smashed into so many trees it's unbelievable. Try that with some other cars and you'll REALLY have parts getting destroyed.

Hey guys

Can you convert the grasshopper with the hornet shocks and live rear axle WITHOUT grinding the body? is it a direct bolt on with NO modifications needed?

Hey guys

Can you convert the grasshopper with the hornet shocks and live rear axle WITHOUT grinding the body? is it a direct bolt on with NO modifications needed?

The rear gearbox between the Hornet and Grashopper is the identical live axle setup. The difference is the rear dampers and mount hardware, the pivot blocks (slotted with springs on a Hornet), and the 380 motor adapter plate on a Grasshopper (left out when fitting a 540).

When you leave out any sort of motor plate and use a silvercan/sport tuned with a 18T pinion the motor will fit inside the body and there is no need to enlarge the cutout for the motor.

If you want to use a fast motor and change gearing (ratio) to the long brass 10T Lunchbox pinion and Lunchbox motor adapter mount (allows fitting of crazy fast brushless and low turn brushed), you need to enlarge the motor cutout to clear the repositioned motor. Having the motor hit the body with large amounts of torque offered by the brushless motor will crack the body.

The rear gearbox between the Hornet and Grashopper is the identical live axle setup. The difference is the rear dampers and mount hardware, the pivot blocks (slotted with springs on a Hornet), and the 380 motor adapter plate on a Grasshopper (left out when fitting a 540).

When you leave out any sort of motor plate and use a silvercan/sport tuned with a 18T pinion the motor will fit inside the body and there is no need to enlarge the cutout for the motor.

If you want to use a fast motor and change gearing (ratio) to the long brass 10T Lunchbox pinion and Lunchbox motor adapter mount (allows fitting of crazy fast brushless and low turn brushed), you need to enlarge the motor cutout to clear the repositioned motor. Having the motor hit the body with large amounts of torque offered by the brushless motor will crack the body.

Got it! thanks!

So the HP suspension kit(by itself) will not hit anything in the rear of grasshopper body right?

(Im asking because i dont want start to dremel the body to clear to newly positioned shocks because if thats the case i will get the Hornet which is my second choice)

Got it! thanks!

So the HP suspension kit(by itself) will not hit anything in the rear of grasshopper body right?

(Im asking because i dont want start to dremel the body to clear to newly positioned shocks because if thats the case i will get the Hornet which is my second choice)

I believe that the Grasshopper body would need to be modified at the rear to clear the Hornet top shock mounts, because the Hornet has a couple of extra extended pieces there to allow the shocks to move.

- James

the grasshopper body fits ok with the the hornet suspension (the "hp" suspension kit). The body rests against the screws that hold the shocks at the top.

technically the hornet is the better car. the differences are the rear suspension, the way the gearbox is mounted, and some slight difference in the front suspension setup - only slight though!

best bet here is to get both :(

i run my grasshopper with the hornet suspension, and a 12 double brushed motor. it flies, and is great fun! there are no real weak points on this chassis (unless you drive it flat out into a wall).

i have not had to do any body mods for this motor.

the only long term weak point, is when the gearbox starts to split where the axle tubes meet the main body of the gearbox, causing the gears to spread and slip. but parts are so cheap, you can just get replacements easy now.

• Like 1

I had to cut into the Grasshopper shell, to make room for the dampers. Not that much though. Perhpas they´ll could fit anyway, but the instructions said to trim the shell somewhat.