Sign in to follow this  
akemag

Teu101-bk Cuts Out Under Load, Throttle Hangs Etc

Have rebuilt my SS and everything seemed fine. First testdrive on tarmac was ok. Didnt push it to much though.

On lightly wet packed sand, it began to stutter when giving throttle, and the throttle sometimes hangs for a couple of seconds if max throttle is given. Going slow works ok mostly. With wheels in the air theres never any problems, just smooth gas witout any interruptions. Have tried from a distance and no problems, as long as the wheels is in the air.

If i hold the car down and give throttle, it stutter continously.

So somehow gentle load makes the ESC cutout. It´s a new TEU101, i guess it could be faulty anyway.

Ideas?

Just some clarification. I think "cogging" is the right term.

I used a NI-Mh 3300Mah that i havent used for 2 years. I have very occasionally chared it, once a year perhaps. I think i charged it a while ago. Dont remember if i got it fully charged at that time. I did get the SS moving pretty good with the pack, in the beginning at least. So it wasnt all empty.

The other pack i switched to was a 1500Mah Ni-Cd that didnt take charge at all with my Piranha Peak Charger. "Open Circuit" came up after a little while.

Tried with a more "dumb" charger, and there it took charge, after a while. So that battery cant be trusted, yet at least. I hope to get it going after a while.

But the TEU101 doesent have a low woltage cut off, i think. if the battery is the problem.

Tried a good pack, but basically the same. Perhaps i had to hold it down a bit harder before the stutter began. Well, must be something with the ESC...

All of my TEU101BKs will cut power to the motor when the pack is flat somewhere about 5.4v.

High amounts of load will cause the TEU101BK 'cutout' when only just touching the throttle. In that I mean, the car will run as normal on the ground until the pack is flat, then the ESC will cut power to the motor if you continue to try and drive. Lift the car up and try the throttle and it will still make the wheels move because there is no load. Add any load to the rear wheels and the ESC cuts power to the motor again until a charged pack is fitted.

When the charger reads 'open circuit' the battery has an 'open circuit'. The pack is dead and does not create a good circuit, either a failed cell or connector bar come off a cell or a bad plug.

I´ll give it a try with a freshly charged pack out in the open soon. If it fails, i´ll leave it on the shelf for this season. Sure is annoying though. All of the search results online that came up with similar problems, was people with brushless systems. They seemed to experience this cogging, or stutter in some cases.

Now i´ll focus on my newly arrived Holiday Buggy!