camaroz

Re Issuing The Monster Beetle

any body know if tamiya is thinking about re issuing the monster beetle? i cant talk my wife into letting me by a nib off of ebay for $600 to $700. i have two of them now but they are not 100 % complete. thanks for your time

any body know if tamiya is thinking about re issuing the monster beetle? i cant talk my wife into letting me by a nib off of ebay for $600 to $700. i have two of them now but they are not 100 % complete. thanks for your time

At this stage, there is no Monster Beetle re-release planned for the forseeable future. Nobody knows if Tamiya will ever decide to re-release this kit.

But since Tamiya have already re-released the basic ORV chassis it's based on, and the Beetle body shell for the Sand Scorcher, it wouldn't be too hard for Tamiya to choose to re-release it. The question is 'if' and 'when', and that's entirely up to Tamiya, and when they think releasing it would get the best financial return. Eg, they're 'dosing' the market with re-releases, not flooding it.

But guaranteed if it will be re-released, you'll hear about it through here.

- James

At this stage, there is no Monster Beetle re-release planned for the forseeable future. Nobody knows if Tamiya will ever decide to re-release this kit.

But since Tamiya have already re-released the basic ORV chassis it's based on, and the Beetle body shell for the Sand Scorcher, it wouldn't be too hard for Tamiya to choose to re-release it. The question is 'if' and 'when', and that's entirely up to Tamiya, and when they think releasing it would get the best financial return. Eg, they're 'dosing' the market with re-releases, not flooding it.

But guaranteed if it will be re-released, you'll hear about it through here.

- James

thanks james

i hope they do but for now im trying to talk her into letting me buy a hotshot or a fox. can you tell me why they stoped using the chevy grill on the clodbuster? i had one of those too but i sold it a long time ago. im also trying to get my girls into it they are 13 and 12.

thanks

Adam

post-34754-1283137068_thumb.jpg

thanks james

i hope they do but for now im trying to talk her into letting me buy a hotshot or a fox.

The Hotshot was re-released, so you can get the re-re kit brand new for a reasonable price, but they were released some time ago so they're getting hard to find now. Used Hot Shots can readily be found, and not too hard to get a good deal.

The Fox hasn't been re-released. NIB they go for about the same as a Monster Beetle, but used examples of Foxes go for a reasonable price. However some commonly needed spares for them are heart attack expensive, eg the gold wheels, body set and suspension arms are all pricey. Best advice for a runner is to buy two or three, and consolidate the best parts into a runner, then use the rest of the parts for spares.

can you tell me why they stoped using the chevy grill on the clodbuster? i had one of those too but i sold it a long time ago.

Put simply, licensing issues. Tamiya would have to pay a license fee to Chevrolet to use the logo, so they chose not to and removed the badge.

im also trying to get my girls into it they are 13 and 12.

Haha, good luck with that!

- James

I ponder this very question at least once a day. Usually more.

:-D

It would make my day!

It seems like it would be easy enough, with the sand scorcher body and the frog chassis still in production. They could update it with the new frog dog bones and axles and swing arm mounts. I just worry that it would be released as a MB-2 on the same chassis as the Blackfoot 3. Not that there's anything wrong with that chassis, I would just like to see the parts availability increase for the original.

On the bright side, the Fox has been re-released! I imagine it's only a matter of time before we get the Monster Beetle.

- J

Totally would love to see that re-pop. I truly enjoyed mine when I was a kid, I got my Beetle for a Birthday & the radio for Christmas 6 months later,... talk about torture!!!

Would be awesome if they could keep it exactically like the original as it would bring back so many memories to those of us brand loyal folks who built them in the 80's & would be buying them now.

Just do it Tamiya! :)

6 months... wow. It pains me just to hear it. :(

That would be awesome. I love the Lunchbox re-release and the others such as the Bruiser, Egress, and Frog have been great too - so if they follow that trend then that would be awesome.

I just hope they re-release the original body for it and not use the molds that are now being used for the sand scorcher and blitzer beetle as seen here: http://www.tamiya101.com/article_sand_scorcher_shells.asp

Wow! Very interesting Kam.

We didn't have much, so I had to agree to that long wait :) I also remember going to the track & corner marshalling before I had anything,... when the Monster Beetle & Blackfoot were Kings & they had to create a Clod only class for the track mammoths(so it didn't become a car crushing event :) ). Soon a 1/12 scale class for Lunchboxes/Pumpkins. Then,... I remember the first time I saw an RC10 (gloomy pipe organ solo playing in the background),... then the truck conversion kit came out & it was all over but the crying. Guys were dying suspesion parts & the truck wheel set that red dye color. Heart Beat & Fazer stripes were everywhere. The Associated's performance was tops,... but the conversion & eventual production truck kits (even with aftermarket lexan narrow eye baja beetle Parma bodies) were never as cool looking as the Tamiya kits. The packaging of a Tamiya Monster Beetle is like nothing else, that is for sure.

We miss you Monster Beetle.

Love the RC10. I was able to grab a re-release to build a few months back. But you're absolutely right; Tamiya's fit and finish are the absolute best and the Monster Beetle has been my favorite.

I do have other favorites though aside from the MB that I also have:

Here's my list:

Monster Beetle

Lunchbox (yellow) RTR

Lunchbox (black) RTR

Bruiser (2012 re-release)

Egress (2013 re-release)

As for Nitro cars, I have:

HPI Savage X 10th Anniversary

HPI Savage X (2011)

HPI RS4 3 Evo+

I'm hoping to add a 2014 Monster Beetle re-release (if it ever gets released that is!) :)

Edited by Kamika007z

That. Would. Be. AWESOME! I hope they release the XB versions as well. How about a gold edition, that would be cool too. :)

And the decals. I have a few original decal sheets stocked up, but they're not sticky compared to the newer sets.