Sign in to follow this  
Dan DT-02

19th In Sport Tuned

Hi all,

just wondering if its ok to use a 19th gear with a sport tuned 540 motor.

will only be using for a few minuets as participating in a drag tournament and i wish to get maximum speed out of my Car.

Hi all,

just wondering if its ok to use a 19th gear with a sport tuned 540 motor.

will only be using for a few minuets as participating in a drag tournament and i wish to get maximum speed out of my Car.

depends on what car you are using! I guess its a 19t pinion so what spur are you running?

depends on what car you are using! I guess its a 19t pinion so what spur are you running?

well its in a Sand Viper Dt-02. in the book it recommends to change back to the 17th when using the sport tuned but i want to get max speed out of the thing for a short time.

well its in a Sand Viper Dt-02. in the book it recommends to change back to the 17th when using the sport tuned but i want to get max speed out of the thing for a short time.
yea it will be fine. It will have less acceleration but more top speed so if your doing long straight runs you shouldn't have any troubles. On a small twisty track or with any hills it may bog down a little an run a little hot! if you can hold your finger on the motor for at least 5 seconds it's not running to hot. I would also recommend ditching the tamiya connectors and getting some deans or 5mm bullet connectors you will get less resistance and more punch.

Also if you solder the esc wires directly to the motor you can get s little extra!

Later vv

yea it will be fine. It will have less acceleration but more top speed so if your doing long straight runs you shouldn't have any troubles. On a small twisty track or with any hills it may bog down a little an run a little hot! if you can hold your finger on the motor for at least 5 seconds it's not running to hot. I would also recommend ditching the tamiya connectors and getting some deans or 5mm bullet connectors you will get less resistance and more punch.

Also if you solder the esc wires directly to the motor you can get s little extra!

Later vv

wow thanks for your Pro like advise. With it i hope i win the drag race. If anyones interested its at a VW club show at Santa Pod. All 1/10th scale are allowed. max motor size is 540, But i have a 540 sport tuned to i will win Muahaha lol.

wow thanks for your Pro like advise. With it i hope i win the drag race. If anyones interested its at a VW club show at Santa Pod. All 1/10th scale are allowed. max motor size is 540, But i have a 540 sport tuned to i will win Muahaha lol.

540 is the size of the motor, in the rules does it say the minimum number of turns the motor must have?

540 is the size of the motor, in the rules does it say the minimum number of turns the motor must have?

Id have to check, Can anyone explain what Turns even means. I don't have a clue.

Here it is:

RADIO CONTROLLED DRAG RACING

This was trialled at Big Bang and VW Action 2009 and was a resounding success. Open to anyone to come along and experience the excitement of Drag Racing only in miniature (1/10th scale to be precise), from all ages and skill levels. So maybe get building those dragsters, they don’t have to be perfect (most are homemade) and we guarantee you won’t be the slowest car (we save Icky for that ).

Signing on will be from 10.00am both Saturday and Sunday, with racing commencing from 11.00am. The track will be set up in the Monster Truck Arena. (See Map)

The rules to enter the competition proper are below, however this does not stop people with other types of cars simply having a go, you are all more than welcome to come and have some timed runs.

Rules for competition

and so you know what spec to build your cars are below:

540 Size Motor (£50 spend limit).

RWD (Removing front drive shafts/belts will be fine).

7.2 volt battery (6 cell).

Driver requires 2 radio crystals to prevent frequency clashes.

1/10th / 1/12th scale.

It is run just like full scale Drag Racing where everyone gets 4 qualifiers, then go into eliminations, where the loser is out and the winner goes through to the next round. The track will be 40 meters long, so measure out those roads, playgrounds and running tracks at home and get some practice before the event .

Overall, this is excellent fun for all the family and for racers/spectators alike.

If that's the spec, you can go way faster than a sport tuned for 50 notes.

Search ezrun on eBay. The 9T combo comes in cheaper and is loads faster. Plus the speed controller has a few tuning settings you can adjust to help you get the power down easier. Timing and punch control.

If that's the spec, you can go way faster than a sport tuned for 50 notes.

Search ezrun on eBay. The 9T combo comes in cheaper and is loads faster. Plus the speed controller has a few tuning settings you can adjust to help you get the power down easier. Timing and punch control.

Wow thanks, im new to the hobby so dont really know what to look for. i didnt know you could get this speed for UNDER 50. For now ill stick to my 540. in the future i might get a HPi firestorm Nitro. id really like a nitro car, seems the best out there.

Modern lipo batteries and brushless motors will match nitro performance without the noise and mess. Worth baring in mind as nitro cars can be anti social and thus harder to find a spot to use.

It all hurts the wallet though.

Over a 40 meter distance, you will go fast. Fit ball bearings all over. And pay special attention to the wheels - don't use stock DT02 rear wheels for something like this - or make sure they are worn down good. I'd fit front DF03 wheels with (worn) pin-type tyres on the rear. They are also fairly big (diameter (will help gearing)) The std DT02 front wheels should work well.

Also play with toe-in adjustment - too much slows the car and too little makes it very unstable a speed.

Remember to adjust steering servo for low sensitivity (little movement)

EDIT: Oh I forgot - the Sand Viper is full ball bearings out of the box, right? And remove rear spoiler to reduce drag and save a few nanoseconds.. :-)

Over a 40 meter distance, you will go fast. Fit ball bearings all over. And pay special attention to the wheels - don't use stock DT02 rear wheels for something like this - or make sure they are worn down good. I'd fit front DF03 wheels with (worn) pin-type tyres on the rear. They are also fairly big (diameter (will help gearing)) The std DT02 front wheels should work well.

Also play with toe-in adjustment - too much slows the car and too little makes it very unstable a speed.

EDIT: Oh I forgot - the Sand Viper is full ball bearings out of the box, right? And remove rear spoiler to reduce drag and save a few nanoseconds.. :-)

Haha yeah

sand viper is full ball bearing, also my rear tires are really worn down, good for the race!

I was looking around for some Really thick and durable rear wheel tires, can anyone help me find some that will fit my car. also i might need new wheels to fit these tires.

Modern lipo batteries and brushless motors will match nitro performance without the noise and mess. Worth baring in mind as nitro cars can be anti social and thus harder to find a spot to use.

It all hurts the wallet though.

well i cant really find any spots to use an electric even. The only places i can race with my dad is the royal mail car parks after they have closed :rolleyes:

Hi again, thanks for you help and the help from everyone who replied. Overall i can second to a drag car enthusiast that had a drag specific car... It was quite obvious i would loose to him as i have a buggy...