Sign in to follow this  
akemag

3 New Ni-cd Pack To Take Care Of!

Best pack i have is an old Tamiya 1700SCR Racing Pack, that came with a used F102 FW14 i bought. It has been great. Excellent punch and runtimes. So even though there are monster Ni-Mh pack at 5000Mah or more out there, i scored 2new 1700MP Ni-Cd packs, the short ones that fits the Tyrell 6-wheeler. I also got a new Tamiya 1200 Racing pack for 10$, new in box and all, never charged.

Anyway, i read alot online about Ni-Cd care, and some say this and some say that.

What do you guys think is the best way to take care of these packs.

1: First charge. Fast, slow

2: Should i leave the pack partially charged when in storage, or charge it up, and then recharge it once a month or so.

The 1700pack i have, has had a lot of "abuse". But it has allways come back for more.

I believe storage of NiCD packs should be completely discharged. And they should be completely discharged before charging also.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?...amp;hl=resistor

I would first charge at 1/2 the rate of your intended for a fast charge. But I would do some more research on that, as that's would I do for my NiMH. NiCD might be different.

Ask 10 people, and they'll give you at least 5 different answers on this one, but I've got 15 year old NiCd packs still running strong, and here's what I do:

Fast-charge every time, even the first one, on a peak-charger (if you're still using a timer-type charger, it's time to upgrade).

Run it down dead (car barely moves) before recharging or storing.

Peak-charge, fully discharge (run it, then finihs it off with light bulbs) and recharge before use after being stored for more than a month or two. It takes a cycle or two to "wake" them back up after storing them.

Ok, i think i´ll stick with the "store discharged" and charge full each time. Discharge before charging. Basically what i´ve been doing with my old pack, and it seems to have worked fine.

Thanks guys!