gresh2811

Where To Start?

Today i've been given by a work mate two used and very bashed vehicles. one is a 1998 TL01 Peugeot 406 ST and the other is a 1986 Tamiya Falcon.

I was thinking of restoring the Falcon back to its former glory, but being quite new to this hobby and only previously built a Lunch Box not certain where to start. the same could be said for the TL01.

I'm wanting to put a different body on the TL01 as i don't really like the Peugeot shell.

The chassis to both vehicles look to be sound with no cracks or damage. theres no servo, radio equipment or ESC with either vehicles. both body shells are as already stated complete write-offs.

Any help, advice or hints and tips on where to start and any hop up parts for both vehicles would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for any help

Craig.

To be brutally honest, I woudn't bother doing much with the TL01, apart from stick a new body on it and run it. There are lots of bodies available that will fit and if you really wanted to, you can get some TL01B arms and driveshafts and convert it into a buggy...

As for the Falcon, I'd strip it down to it's component parts, find out whats broken (nice if there's nothing), download the manual from the main site (if you don't already have one) and clean everything and rebuild. Best place for spares/hopups is eBay, followed by the trades section on here. There are other websites with spares, but I think they'll be limited when it comes to Falcon parts...

took my son to don valley stadium last night to watch some indoor electric racing. he was in his element, he loved it all. as we were coming out he asked if he could start and race like the people he was just watching. i told him that i would try and get the tl01 up and running for him to practice with before we started to shell out hundreds of pounds on all the equipment needed. i know this is an old car and chassis and probably not the best for racing but as it was free thought it would be the ideal starting place. my real question to you guys is, what would be the best motor and pinion to start him with? i was planning on just putting a rs-540 sport tuned motor in with the stock 19t pinion. would this be any good. sorry for asking this but the only think that either of us has built and driven is the tamiya lunch box. any help, advice, its and tips would be great.

also, has anyone in england ever bought anything from etamiya.com?

Craig,

it's great fun to build and race with children. They also make a good excuse (if you fell you need one) for spending too much time and money on the hobby. I got back into the hobby after 30 years when I bought a DT02 for my son to replace some of the crappy RC toys that started piling up on his shelfs without being used more than once or twice before breaking or being outgrown.

I think the TL01 will be fine with a 540 sport tuned, or even a std 540 silver can, to get started and let your son get accustomed to the hobby. For my son, I got the sport tuned after a while, and every now and then let him run it with a 11.1V LiPo, Then it really goes like stink.

What radio and ESC will you be using?

Mike

not really sure. i was hoping to possibly pick all that up off of flea-bay. what would you recommend?

Well, since this is a Tamiya forum, I could suggest the TEU-101 ESC. They are cheap, and I have good experience with running them on a higher voltage, which I consider the most cost effective tuning at hand. Check out my posts on that elsewhere. TEU101

For a radio, you could use any half decent pistol grip device. Your choice may depend on if expect to stay in the hobby, then you would pick something digital (DX, f.i.) to grow with. If you're planning on running both cars on the same transmitter, find something common, and pick up a second receiver, so you don't have to move it around all the time.

For my son, I got a new Kyosho Perfex 27MHz set

Like this (but incl receiver) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PERFEX-KYOSHO-KT-3HS...=item1e5dff7fb2

for next to nothing on ebay and later picked up a couple of extra receivers that sits in a boat and a second chassis. For my self, I found a second hand Graupner 40MHz XS6 synthesizer (no crystal) transmitter. Downside for this is the costly (also synth) receivers - they still command some 30-50 quid on ebay.

TL01 is a perfect and simple chassis. Mine is bought new in 1999. My only trouble in all those years was a small stone that got stuck between the chassis and steering servo. The chassis is very strong and it is my daily runner. Only hop-ups added are oil dampers and a speed tuned gear. If you add these hop-ups it is good for your son to start with. After this chassis he can change over to a faster RC-car if he wants to go racing.

i plan on getting some bearings and a sport tuned motor to start with. obviously need all the electrics and radio equipment as well. i was looking at getting all the alloy parts which are available for this chassis, but i may leave that for a while and see how he takes to it first. i priced all the electrics and radio equipment up on modelsport and it came to just under £100 but this was with a cheap 27mhz AM Acoms radio system. I'm now thinking that i may get a 2.4ghz system with a model memory on it, not really sure what to do yet.

Hey gresh, looks like you are really getting into the hobby...dont forget the pics and good look with your new projects...its all good fun. My lunch box is finish and all mods done, its also brushless....crazy thing .. :angry:

Before you add a new motor, make sure that you've got bearings fitted everywhere instead of the plastic bushes. This will give you better speed and make your battery last longer.

Don't go for the alloy arms either - the one major drawback of the TL01 is that the suspension mounting points are moulded into the main chassis parts which means when they crack or break you have to virtually rebuild the entire car (and buy a new chassis). Replacing the arms with alloy will only make it worse because the alloy won't absorb any impact - it will just transfer it straight to the mount points.

Is it just me or are Sport Tuned motors getting stupidly expensive on eBay? I saw one the other day for over £25! That's ridiculous for a non-rebuildable motor....

Hey gresh, looks like you are really getting into the hobby...dont forget the pics and good look with your new projects...its all good fun. My lunch box is finish and all mods done, its also brushless....crazy thing .. ;)

what brushless system did you put in the lunchbox and how much was it?

Before you add a new motor, make sure that you've got bearings fitted everywhere instead of the plastic bushes. This will give you better speed and make your battery last longer.

Don't go for the alloy arms either - the one major drawback of the TL01 is that the suspension mounting points are moulded into the main chassis parts which means when they crack or break you have to virtually rebuild the entire car (and buy a new chassis). Replacing the arms with alloy will only make it worse because the alloy won't absorb any impact - it will just transfer it straight to the mount points.

Is it just me or are Sport Tuned motors getting stupidly expensive on eBay? I saw one the other day for over £25! That's ridiculous for a non-rebuildable motor....

thanks for the advice, I fully plan on getting bearings fitted through out. I may leave all the alloy parts and see how my son takes to the racing. If he takes to it well and wants a better chassis I may add the parts and he can then have the tl01 as a shelf queen.

So far the cheapest price I can find for the sport tuned in England is £19.50.