Sign in to follow this  
Damaniac

Batteries For Sand Scorcher

Hey guys, just wondering if somebody can point me in the right direction as to what batteries I can use in a Sand Scorcher?

The 6.6v li-fe battery, and a few lipo batteries fit. And the old humpback batteries fit.

You can also make a humpback battery yourself.

I used a TLT battery pack for a while in my 2010 scorcher. It fits very snuggly into the highest part of the radiobox.

It is also possible to cram a regular stickpack into the radiobox.

On my scorcher, I mounted the steeringservo on the right side(as the manual says) and the esc behind it.

I put the receiver on the other side in the back of the radio box. This makes it possible to fit a stickpack longitudally.

With this sollution, it would be wise to fit a bit or two of velcro in there, just to keep the battery in place.

Sorry about any type o's.

You can still get ready made hump packs on Ebay.

I have both of these myself. I prefer the first because it is shrink wrapped, but then that's easy to do yourself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carson-7-2v-2700-Tamiy...=item5adbae7559

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-2V-3300mAh-NiMH-Batt...=item45f506c849

They're not the hottest packs in terms on mAh rating, but fit nicely in my Buggy Champ. (I've actually only tried the first in my Champ, as it and that pack are on another continent from me and the other pack this year)

The Tamiya LiFe are nice, but I still only have NiMh batteries and chargers and don't want to get into yet another setup.

Life is supposed to be much safer than the LiPo used by the racing crowd.

I wonder if you could drop one of these straight into the old Tamiya hump pack casing for a more authentic look.

ive bought a few lipo batteries for mine, turnigy 2200mah 7.4v or overlander 2200mah 7.4v of either ebay or modelsport for the overlander's, small but pack some punch and fit's in the scorcher box no problems. ive also got a carson 2700mah nimh pack aswell.

I don't know if this helps, but here is what I did:

Double sided tape works, but I'm in the process of making a custom servo mount to bolt direcly onto the top of the electronics box.

-Derick

I've used the 7.2v 2/3 sub C cell battery stick packs for the Tamtech cars.

They work well, don't last too long though, but enough for a good bashing.

Cheers,

Skottoman

I bought a few 11.1v 2200mah flightmax's for the scorcher and i am going to make them fit the wifes new subaru brat I just bought her.

I picked up a traxxas vlx3s esc for the scorcher and just about to buy another for the wife. Well she is going to buy it for herself. Lipo's rock.

You can also use the 1700MP pack for the Tyrrell F103RS.

#49171: Tamiya Ni-Cd Battery 7.2V 1700mAh Racing Pack 1700MP

- James

if you have to have nimh, then the carson 2700mah nimh battery is your best bet without having one custom made, or if you can go lipo, then theres loads of small lipo packs that would be great, vapextech do a hump pack 3700mah nimh, ive seen them on ebay from time to time too.

Thank you for all your replies. Have ordered a 6.6v li-fe from RC-Mart which is the same size & capacity as the Tamiya one @ a quarter of the price. Will let you know how it goes.

The price for a custom-made pack at cheapbatterypacks.com is cheaper than commercially available retail packs in standard configurations. You could have a 7.2v hump pack made at a few different price points depending on cell capacity. I'm pretty sure even an 8.4v hump pack would fit the SRB battery box (you'd have to provide a drawing or them how to arrange the cells). This is a great solution to having 5000mAH capacity. :D