Sign in to follow this  
Jonesy76

I Think I Went A Bit Mad With The Paint

Do you ever get one of those ideas into your head?

Well I did.................and this ended up happening to my Lunchbox rather than simply painting it yellow!

dc458877.jpg

Took me absolutely ages, and some seriously difficult masking to get those funky swirls around the edges of the green banners. I then lined out the whole lot with a very thin line of black to make it pop out from each different section.

The racing stripes on the roof carry on down the back doors, and are simply my own addition because I wanted to make the roof interesting!

The 'Mystery machine' wording on the sides is from a decal sheet I found on eBay, but rather than using the decals I spent the best part of 45 minutes cutting the words out of the decals using a scapel and an awful lot of patience.........I think the patience was rewarded though

I'm now getting a silly idea about blinging a Monster Beetle shell out in full 'Herbie' colours to sit alongside this once my Monster Beetle restoration project is finished!

I'm now getting a silly idea about blinging a Monster Beetle shell out in full 'Herbie' colours to sit alongside this once my Monster Beetle restoration project is finished!

Do it! If it's anything like your Mystery Machine then it's sure to be another stunner. Great work!

Jeez, that looks smart. Scoody-Doo would give his lug nuts to take that for a spin.

Monster Herbie sounds like a good idea.

Henk ;)

... rather than simply painting it yellow!

dc458877.jpg

Took me absolutely ages ...

very very nice ... something that I think I will do but will procrastinate and eventually never do ...

do you remove the mask after the paint has fully cured or when it is still wet? with my polycarbonate shells, i only remove the masks after tha paint has dried. it is just that, i think i read somewhere that you need to remove masks that you have appplied to abs shells immediately after application of paint and not wait till the paint has dried.

The green and blue are Tamiya spray paints so I applied the green first over all the bodyshell.

I then masked off all the areas that were going to be left green and drew out the outlines on the masking tape (tamiya masking tape I find works well) that I then cut out using a VERY sharp scalpel to get the complex shapes of the body panels.

This then got totally sprayed over with the blue and left to touch set, before applying more coats to get a good thick coverage. I then left the whole shell to set hard, and I mean hard! I've always found that if the paint is too soft then you're more likely to tear it when you remove the mask.

The trick though is to have a nice blunt modelling knife with which to tease up the edges of the mask when you come to remove it and then TAKE YOUR TIME!

dayum that's one sweet job - admire your patience!

just needs a few minutes detailing to finish off... pick out the panel gaps, window frames, handles, gutter etc in black or chrome etc

Have a closer look......

The door handles are body coloured, but the rubber lining around them is all picked out in black, as are the windows and all the panel gaps!

I even painted out the exhaust brackets in matt black on the side pipes, and the front grill and indicators.

I said it took ages! :unsure:

I really like what you did here. This has always been a project I wanted to do.