Malakite

Body Shell Cleaner

I've at last, finished my Countach woohoo! I would like to polish her up before taking some piccies for the showroom, what should I use to clean her up? :angry:

I just buy the softest brush money can buy (thos.e make up brush) and rid of any dust. If the body is polycarbon, not sure if there are compounds out there to polish her up. I know for hard body, you can get polishing material to give it "that" shine. You LHS that sells modelling paint should be able to point you in the right direction.

I've at last, finished my Countach woohoo! I would like to polish her up before taking some piccies for the showroom, what should I use to clean her up? :angry:

Yeah if it's a polycarbonate body, the body should look pristine once you've taken the overspray film off... You did take it off, didn't you? B) To clean polycarbonate, don't use Windex on it, just use mild dilute detergent and a soft microfibre cloth, or just use a lens cloth to gently remove fingerprints. You can get something called Parma Fashine for polycarbonate bodies, but that seems to be a pretty harsh citrus degreaser, so might be too harsh for a brand new body.

If it's the old style hard shell painted with lacquers on the outside, there are polishes and waxes specifically for shining up painted scale models. Tamiya make a rubbing compound and finishing wax, but there are many other good brands too. Did you spray a clear coat?

- James

I use a product that i bought when racing over in U.K from Tesco's.

It's called Lord Shearaton Furniture polish with Bee's Wax.

It really puts a nice shine on the shell.

Bought a heap of them to bring back to OZ. On my last can now so will have to get my oldies to brinf some out on their next visit LOL.

Not sure how useful this suggestion will be, but when I want a shell to look top notch, I use 3M Stainless Steel Cleaner and Polish. It's a multi surface cleaner and polish that gives body shells a brilliant "glossy wet" look.

A quick rub over with this is great just before taking pictures ...

I Use Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer for both my polycarbonate and styrene shells, works fantastic and makes them shine beautifully (bottle lasts ages too!).

Booyaa!

rcpix001.jpg

Hi guys, wow great response on here!

To answer questions, yes I took the sheet up, but its got all my finger marks on it as I've been handling it so much whilst adding all the additional lighting to the shell! Will go with the easy soapy solution first off and see how that goes then, if it doesn't remove my greasy finger marks, I'll look at purchasing some light polish as suggested! It's jet black hence why you can see all the smudges fro my fingers! :angry:

I Use Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer for both my polycarbonate and styrene shells, works fantastic and makes them shine beautifully (bottle lasts ages too!).

Booyaa!

rcpix001.jpg

I can vouch for what Berman said, Meguiars Ultimate is amazing stuff!

I can vouch for what Berman said, Meguiars Ultimate is amazing stuff!

Use wd40 on lexan. It removes all marks (including surface rubbing marks whic you get whilst racing). Makes your shell as good as new.

Use wd40 on lexan. It removes all marks (including surface rubbing marks whic you get whilst racing). Makes your shell as good as new.

Really? but its oil?!

Really? but its oil?!

It's just something that people use. Just spray it on some kitchen roll and wipe over the car. I've used it for years, again it's something I was told about as a kid so have always done it.