backtomyroots

Moving From Canada To London Uk - Tips ?

Hey folks, since most are from the UK (or so it would seem) I'll post here. A family member has just moved from Ontario , Canada to attend University in London, England. Any tips or secrets he should know about ? Cultural oddities ? Post away and I'll link the topic to him :angry:.

Lucky guy! I hope he enjoys his time here. He needs to know the following facts...

95% of the people he meets will think he is American. If he wants to correct them he can but it'll go on for years so it might just be easier to go with it.

When stepping off the pavement to cross the road look RIGHT then LEFT - not the other way around.

There a billion other things he'll need to know/will learn but these two should be high on the list.

And Pret a Manger are the best sandwich in London.

Olly

UK drives on wrong side of the road :lol: The key is to remember the driver is always closest to the center dividing line. Have round about and you always yeild to driver on your right and likely cannot make a right turn on a red light. I guess he/she will miss skiing at "Blue Mountain" in the Winter or any of the huge mountain range Ontario is famous for the ski runs. :lol:

UK drives on wrong side of the road :lol: The key is to remember the driver is always closest to the center dividing line. Have round about and you always yeild to driver on your right and likely cannot make a right turn on a red light. I guess he/she will miss skiing at "Blue Mountain" in the Winter or any of the huge mountain range Ontario is famous for the ski runs. :lol:

Yup, no turning on red at all, unless there's a filter light for turns (effectively 2 sets of lights)

England doesn't use jug-handle turns either, just left or right

Most people over 40 are still fluent in pounds, ounces and inches, although most products are now sold in metric units

All the road signs are still in miles though

Drink driving has a measurable limit, there are no 'tests' to perform to prove sobriety - if you're suspected of DUI then you get a breath test and a blood test, none of this walking in a straight line lark

Beer tastes nicer warm

Oh, our electric wall sockets are 220-240v and use 3rectangular pins on the plugs

A lot of stuff now is 110-240v, but double-check

I want the drugs you're on, boobie-boy.... beer and warm are meant to stay apart....

Spud-heads like you are the reason Guinness gives people brain-freeze now

Room temp lager has a lot more flavour than the near frozen Wii the pubs sell, try finding better tasting lager :lol:

Spud-heads like you are the reason Guinness gives people brain-freeze now

Room temp lager has a lot more flavour than the near frozen Wii the pubs sell, try finding better tasting lager :lol:

Spud-heads????? Why with the personal insults???? twin set = a pair of breasts = boobs = boobie boy.... no personal insults there! What's your problem???? Might have to have a word wth the mods over that one.

lol...

As for beer, it's meant to be cold. So there. Seeing as this thread is about a Canadian, and Canadians make some of the world's best beers..... best not to listen to you!!!

:lol:

Alex

Why with the personal insults????

As for beer, it's meant to be cold. So there. Seeing as this thread is about a Canadian, and Canadians make some of the world's best beers..... best not to listen to you!!!

;)

Alex

:lol: you're right, will continue the insults on MSN Monday morning :lol:

Only ever tried Labbatts Ice beer over here, there's not much Canadian beer on offer, the Europeans have the supermarkets flooded

As for beer, it's meant to be cold. So there. Seeing as this thread is about a Canadian, and Canadians make some of the world's best beers.....

B)

Alex

Got to agree on that one. Nothing goes better after mowing the lawn, trimming the edges and garden beds, and than guzzle a few really cold bottle of beers. It better than RC....did I just said that! :lol:

But than I can understand how beer can best be served at room temp. when outside is damp all the time and almost freezing but not quite, which I will likely go for a shot or two of Brandy. :)

Smoking is banned indoors (apart from your own home), governments way of closing pubs I think!

Is funny that you mentioned smoking banned for indoors. The same happened here in Hong Kong when the ban took effect, restaurant and pub owners were predicting the ban would put them our off business. But later, no complains as it actually took in more business, they forget that lot of non smokers are going back into pubs because of the smoke free environment and rest. are doing more business at lunch because of smoke free environment and tables become more available as smokers would leave for their smokes and free up the table.

i'm a smoker but it is nice to go to a pub and not come home stinking of cigarette smoke! it must have been horrible for non smokers.

most pubs have a good outdoors area where you can do both (smoke and drink)