It always dismays me when I see someone strictly strictly sticking to a rule about shipping only within their own country. Sure, there are dishonest people about and you might struggle with Paypal on a small percentage of your receipts for items that 'never arrived'. But isn't that better than selling something for 5 times less than what its worth by restricting your market to 60 Million people instead of 6 Billion?

Actually the Brits are way better than the Americans for this in my experience. I am British, but am registered abroad and bid therefore as a foreigner on items from both countries and find so many American items that I would love to buy being restricted. Or quoted with excessive shipping costs to 'protect the seller' because of insurance and tracking, which is in fact offered on all International American services from USPS except for First Class Post. Priority International, for example, can be used for large packages containing upto 3 car kits and costs from about $40 for one kit to about $90 for three. It is totally tracked and insurable. It might be that USPS workers don't know this, or are pushing the more expensive 'Express' products (which fly on the same planes and are handled by the same staff) because they are skint, but some of it is down to being stubborn for sure ;) USPS will even pack your stuff for you in some branches and provide free packing material, although the packing service can leave something to be desired.

Paul.

dunno about u guys but in recent years its a real PITA to send parcels o/s

we've gotta show ID, get all those details recorded down on system for each separately

as the PO system spits out a barcoded "ID Recorded" label for every item

then gotta fill in the Customs Declaration label (2 versions, depending on value)

and if i want insured Registered Mail there's another form to be completed in duplicate for that on top

I once spent 35 mins at the PO counter doing 6 o/s parcels, yes i timed it.

Worse of all... all the extra $$ paid for Insurance & Registration does NOT show in the "postage" label on the parcel,

there they only print the amt for actual postage not ancilliaries... so you attract the usual rash of pennypinching

whingers crying poor 'cos the stamps total less than what they paid, etc etc

In all fairness, I need to add, that I have been lucky convincing a majority of UK sellers to ship abroad. Usually, I do not have a problem paying a little extra for "signed for" if thats what it takes, but I have also experienced sellers eyeing a chance to ask a horrible postage for the "extra" inconvenience.

Sounds like Willy's countrymen need to jump through a few hoops to get stuff shipped, although 35/6 is only about 6 minutes per parcel, which isn's ridiculous if you have already spent the effort to pack them and get them there. Admittedly it is better to have the documents done at home. It takes me under a minute to ship each registered parcel I have. I was really in fairness only commenting on US and UK sellers, which form the bulk of the English speaking guys who refuse to ship abroad and the Americans are the worst (perhaps because there are more of them?)

I just bid on those items now anyway and have freight forwarders in the US and the UK collect together pallet loads for me locally and ship them one every month or two directly here. Saves a fortune on shipping as well ;) I once got an entire 18 wheeler full size lorry shipped with models and furniture from the UK to the Czech Republic for £700. It had tonnes, literally, of stuff in it.

Paul.

I guess it cuts both ways for only selling within the sellers country. The buyer will get a better deal. I can see if is a model, the seller don't want to pack it and even insist on local PU. But for decals???? Is like mailing some big photos. I guess we all have our ways of doing things.