QIK-RX4

To Drive Or Not To Drive? Input Please?

Ok guys / girls I cant make my mind up. Should I drive my Wild One or leave it as a shelf queen? it's a brand new build from a kit and i picked it up of evilbay around a month and a half ago. I am yet to run it and my wife posted up some pics. I was keen as to set it up and drive it, but the more i look at it i think it should stay on the shelf.

I have bought new cvd drive shafts for it and some shims for the gearbox ready to run it.

Any thoughts peoples?

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.a...8&sid=27862

If you bought it for the shelf you should leave it there. Buy a second one that has already been driven for when you need the thrill of the drive.

That's not for me though. I buy my cars to run. When I break them (doesn't happen often), I fix them and then drive them some more. Clean them after the run and store them back on the shelf. It will get scratched when you run it. One thing I do make sure of though is to get lots of pictures of the new built car before it gets 'messed up' on the first drive.

If you bought it for the shelf you should leave it there. Buy a second one that has already been driven for when you need the thrill of the drive.

That's not for me though. I buy my cars to run. When I break them (doesn't happen often), I fix them and then drive them some more. Clean them after the run and store them back on the shelf. It will get scratched when you run it. One thing I do make sure of though is to get lots of pictures of the new built car before it gets 'messed up' on the first drive.

^ What he said.

Run it on a cricket pitch. That's about as harmless as it gets.

Run it! its RC.

As Mark said, you can still take care off it, you dont have to rag it everywhere. Its sad to leave RC cars on a shelf.

I try to keep my vintage collection RTR, although I have to admit they don't get taken down from the shelf very often these days.

The newer toys handle so much better, and are more fun to drive.

+1 for running it. You needn't flog it mercilessly, just drive it like you love it and want it to last forever. The occasional battle scar will just add to its character and make you appreciate it even more.

I like the cricket pitch idea. Speed and curbs are not your friends. :lol:

Hmmm I guess it all comes down to whether you want to run it or have it as a shelf queen. I don't think anyone could answer the question for you... I think you want to put it on the shelf but you want to give in to people telling you to run it... How about putting some cardboard under the chassis, tape trailing arms etc, put on some different tires and give it a couple minutes run so you can say been there done that. Remove protection measures put it on the shelf and move on :lol:

James

Run it, clean it then shelve it. Repeat.

I have recently taken a look @ my collection & that is what I will be doing from now on. Spend to much time & money not to get some enjoyment out of them.

Wow, that's a really nice example. No scratches underneath. Like new.

I'd prob keep it shelved. I'm sure you have other cars to bash, and that one will be so much more pleasant to look at 15 years from now in new condition.

That is unless Tamiya releases a Re-Re of it!

Tough choice. I personally drive my cars into the ground, trash them then get new ones.

Cheers,

Skottoman

To me it depends if its more of an investment, or bought to enjoy. Its always going to worth more in the future if left as new.

For me I get all my fun from building, tinkering, modifying, restoring etc then I'll probably run it a few times get loads of pics and vids, stick it on the shelf for a short time then sell it to fun the next project.

If your even considering running it, then I would...... If your worried find an indoor venue first, if you stay away from the walls it will come away in great condition. If its fun get it down the beach, look at the fun guys like Jak Rizzo have with these...

Either way just make sure you enjoy the money you've spent, by looking at it on the shelf or running around the beach...

Way down here in good 'ol East Tennessee, we have a sayin'..... "Drive It Like You Stole it"!

....DRIVE IT, like you are a 15 year old and it's your very first Tamiya! :lol::)B)

It's my most driven car of all. You will never regret using a WO.

March1516009.jpg

100_6496.jpg

March1516028.jpg

race407F1Ligier030.jpg

race407F1Ligier029.jpg

race407F1Ligier010.jpg

100_6519-2.jpg

100_6511.jpg

Personally, I couldn't not run it - they just look too good in motion! But like others have said, running a car doesn't mean you have to thrash it; just drive it carefully, by yourself (because other drivers may not be as careful around your pride and joy as you want them to be), and enjoy it.

Any thoughts peoples?

side thought... how many ppl would possibly want you to desecrate your shelfqueen by running it,

so as to make 1 less shelfqueen in the world... hence their own WildOne shelfqueen becomes relatively rarer :unsure: