MadInventor

Hotshot Cvds

As per the title, has anyone managed to find aftermarket CVD or UJ drive shafts that fit the front of the hotshot without binding, that fit either re-re or original drive cups ?

I use yeah racing df 01 cvd's.

They work fine on my Boomerang, Big Wig,Hot Shot2.

Have been told that you need to use the touring car version front knuckles as there is a slight differance in them.

Must be used with Re re diff cups...

Really helps with my modded sterring cranks ( Top Force)

hey mad racer

i found some cheap cvds fro hotshsots

they r prob afew mms too long

what do u mean by the touring knuckles

they must stick out a tad mroe than the stock ones

ill get some time one day and try get these ones not to be so tight by

drilling abit fo room inside the axle cups and look at other ways to get abit of play in the cvds

as when suspension goes up it binds even worse

There are 68mm CVDs that are sold for the DF03 (non-Tamiya - GPM STEEL F/R UNIVERSAL 1PR SDF3268C) that should fit on the Hotshot.

DF01, DF02 and DF03 Tamiya CVD/universals are 70mm long.

ok thanks

ones i got were on ebay

they were called

Universals for Tamiya TA01,DF01 buggies - Blazing Star

ill see what else i can find

measured my new cvds

thing they era 70mm

if i measure form the lugs to the lugs on the swivel

so ill look for some 68mm

thanks

well the dfo3s turne dup

same length as the orig dfo1s i got

they still bind using factory hotshot stuff

seems i need to run the different front uprights

anyway seems they r both 68mm

the dfo3s i might be able to get 2 mm shorter which will help abit

by redrilling a hole on the outer join

with the rears i might cut the shaft down the middle and shorten it abit then weld a

tube which is a tight fit over the axle centre piece then rewell to new shorter length

see how i go

Anyone ever tried avante UJ with rere joint cups ??? I seem to remember the avante UJs being quite short

Yeah I know, digging up a DECADE old thread. Just can't seem to get the answer anywhere - SO, did anyone ever find a simple CVD for Hotshot re-re? I have lost a front dogbone and want to upgrade (well, I want to upgrade the whole terrible steering, but one thing at a time).

Out of all the threads with so much ambiguity and no solid answers, this seemed like the most detailed. So here we are.

Anyone can share with me what they have put in their Hotshot as far as upgrade CVD's go?

On 6/9/2020 at 3:17 AM, JNSD1 said:

Yeah I know, digging up a DECADE old thread. Just can't seem to get the answer anywhere - SO, did anyone ever find a simple CVD for Hotshot re-re? I have lost a front dogbone and want to upgrade (well, I want to upgrade the whole terrible steering, but one thing at a time).

Out of all the threads with so much ambiguity and no solid answers, this seemed like the most detailed. So here we are.

Anyone can share with me what they have put in their Hotshot as far as upgrade CVD's go?

I'm very interested to know as well. Consider this a bump to your question :)

CVD's for the re-re Hotshot or re-re SHS? Are they the same?

On 6/9/2020 at 1:17 AM, JNSD1 said:

I've got Tamiya 53791 front and rear on my BigWig and Boomerang and they've worked without issue

Bigwig and Hotshot share the same drive shafts out of the box, so you would assume 53791 would work fine in a Hot Shot too

6 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I've got Tamiya 53791 front and rear on my BigWig and Boomerang and they've worked without issue

Bigwig and Hotshot share the same drive shafts out of the box, so you would assume 53791 would work fine in a Hot Shot too

The tamiya 53791 do not work, they  bind on  a boomerand and hotshot I have tried those and yeah racing 70mm cvd's.

This is not the first topic, people ask for cvd's, for the boomerang, bigwig or hotshot, and people always give this df-02 cvd's as a option, I don't know why because they are to long and they bind, have you tested them properly ?,  at a steering angly and then compress the suspension then they bind like grazy.

I did the same thing on my hotshot.

The real solution is read this tread of mine 

Yup, driven them both quite a bit and they’re fine for me 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

7 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I put top force UJs in my original boomerang  / super sabre in the front without any issues, but they do not work in the re-re hotshot, even with boomerang uprights. Same with after market DF-02 shafts. Work fine in the original boomerang, but they bind in the re-re hotshot. I think the re-re gearbox spaces the drive cups slightly further apart than the original gearbox casings, plus of course the re-re hotshot drive cups may well be different from the hardened thundershot drive cups I was using with the top force UJs.

Well, I made the critical error of not looking here before ordering some CVDs for my Hotshot. I bought some from rcmart that were specifically marketed for the Hotshot by the manufacturer. They were indeed 70mm and were binding like crazy.

I've taken a punt on the suggestion above and ordered the DF03 68mm part above - so fingers crossed. I managed to find it in stock in Turkey of all places.

Has anyone had any luck dremeling the suspension arms to let the wheels turn more? Unless it's an optical illusion - the inside of the rim is stopped when it hits the back of the arm.