spudtrooper37

Best Way To Clean Gearbox?

I first wipe out so much I can with a paper towel, the clean with some sitrous cleaner, and last wash the whole thing with dish washer soap....

Simple Green is the best stuff I've found for degreasing parts. It's completely safe for all plastics, and it cleans well. It's pretty cheap too.

Simple Green is the best stuff I've found for degreasing parts. It's completely safe for all plastics, and it cleans well. It's pretty cheap too.

+1

+1

I scrub parts in a sink with spritz of simple green, a toothbrush, and some warm water...

simplegreen.jpg

Wipe out the worst, then I use white spirit / turpentine substitute, followed by hot soapy water (Fairy liquid).

i use SHELLITE , which is the proper name for lighter fluid ! . its has a high flash point ( the temp at which it ingnites ) but is very safe as it doesnt go whoomp like petrol . no smell evaporates to nothing and you can clean gears , gear boxs , diffs , bearings , motors , clean polycab bodies , the sticky residue from all tapes and old decals and it doesnt harm and platics that i have found yet ! i use it for just about every thing , i even clean my guns with it ! and you dont have to rince with water , no flash rust occures !

In my own experience I have had best results when cleaning gearboxes with a light spray of WD-40. That solves easily all the hardened grease and clogs. Next step, a paper towel will take away the residues, and finally use dish washer soap to clean it completely. After that, when rebuilding apply grease only where it is really needed. I have seen that applying grease in excess doesn't really help transmissions.