30cms

What Would Be Your Ultimate Nib Tamiya To Build?

I bought the TXT1 for no other reason than I just had to build one and I enjoyed ever screw, nut and bolt. Next will be the Sand Scorcher more for the nostalgia than any thing else. Any of the TRF cars are always beautiful to build, nothing like carbon fibre and machined alloy so I guess my next ultimate build will be the TRF417 when it's released.

That is a no brainer, it would have to be the Avante!

Followed closely by a Bruiser.

In fact followed closely by pretty much any other kit they ever made.

Or even any Kyosho kit for that matter!!

C..

Bruisers, Fast Attack Vehicles... That sure sounds exciting, but to be honest, I know I would enjoy more finding a dirty and beat-up 1981 Toyota Hilux in some garage sale so I could go dismantling it, cleaning each and every bit of it, then rebuild the chassis, strip the body, repaint it, and search the net for the missing bits to complete it. I guess that would be more exciting than just go open the box and start building the kit from new. At least that is how I feel about Tamiya cars.

I agree with this. I built a re-re sand Scorcher recently and it was a real anti-climax once finished :huh: . I'd prefer to buy an old basher and bring it back to life...

Trouble is, Tamiyas are much better when you're 12, than when you're in 30s, 40s, and up. You don't just see the fantastic model, you see the design flaws, maintenance issues, are more fussy about the quality of finish on the model, and probably worry more about damaging it because you know what it cost. I also think when you own several cars, the buzz from building that NIB wears off a lot faster than when you only have 1 or 2 cars. I built a Pajero MTW over Christmas last year, and apart from blasting it round on snow immediately after I built it, I've only used it once since. I only really get a buzz from building a kit I haven't done before, and as tamiya have a tendency to market the same chassis with lots of different shells, it's been a long time since tamiya have released something that I thought 'I've got to have one of those'. In fact, the last model I thought, 'Right, i'm getting that as soon as it's on ebay', was the re-re hotshot back in 2007 (And that was mainly as it was the first car I had that I really liked). Prior to that it was the F350 Hi-Lift, and that was to be honest a bit of a disappointment as a runner after being a great model to build.

I'm now waiting for something completely different, as buggies are a bit 'same old, same old', and on roads aren't really my thing.

As a kid, building was more fun, but I enjoy driving much more now. I cant wait to finish building so I can run it. Modern electronics and batteries make the driving experience much more fun and painless. not to mention much cheaper.

Had to revive this one. I just finished building the rere Boomerang and I fell in love all over again with Tamiya. Just all the weird ways in which they made the suspension work up front and the steering, just have to love it. Take me back a few years, okay a lot of years and give the original to me as a NIB, it sure would have rocked my world as the rere just did. Can't wait to dig into my NIB Hot Shot now. Even though it's the rere, I know I'm going to love building it.

:)

I've built some great cars but my dream build has yet to come... I've just purchased a NIB Dyna Storm to build... I'm delighted because I've always want to build one of these.

My favs:

Three new Top Force Evo's were really fun, I like the class and simplicity of the TA chassis and when you add the CF, Alu and Ti it's all so much fun. I did them all back in the day as this way my weekend weapon of choice. Still have one NIB... :)

The NIB Egress was fun but perhaps not as much so as the TFE - a very fiddly build that wasn't as rewarding IMHO... nice and complex but perhaps too much so. My Egress restore was much more fun because it took more than two years to find all of the parts NIB/NIP... the hunt and gather experience of a restore can sometimes be more rewarding than the blister-pack experience of a NIB.

The 501X was a complete PIG to build, an absolute b'stard. In fact I wish I'd never owned it because it pretty much sucked on the track too... no, hold that, I'm glad I did own it because it allowed me to appreciate the brilliance of the 511.

So to date the 511 is my most satisfying build, quality, precision, practicality, complexity... all a perfect balance for a new car. And wouldn't you know, fast as a cut cat on any good hard track with almost no setup. I went all top end LRP so even putting the electrics in was a charm... I love my 511... :lol:

Bring on the Dyna Storm! :lol:

I've built some great cars but my dream build has yet to come... I've just purchased a NIB Dyna Storm to build... I'm delighted because I've always want to build one of these.

mate, the dyna storm remains one of my most enjoyable builds to date - built mine a few months back, from NIB. a dream come true.

@henk - the hotshot is also a great build. it sticks in my mind as being a really fun car to build, that just looks so awesome when finished.

i love building tamiya cars!

I'm expat now and have collected kits in the US. I need to bring the kits back across the pond to build them, so for now I have to content myself with experimenting with repacking them to make them fit in a suitcase. I've already sacrificed the blisters on two Kyoshos, but find it hard to take the plunge into destroying the Egress and Super Champ blister packs.

:)

Bit of a late response, but why not just mail them separately, ahead of your luggage? Why destroy vintage kits that are worth a bomb, just to cram them into a suitcase? I guess if you're only going to build them, it doesn't matter :lol: But if you're not going to build them, you are probably spending more than the cost of postage, via decreasing the value of the kits.

H.

I found myself another build that although not a Tamiya, for me belongs in the list :lol: The Team Durango DEX410!

oooh me too!

Well pretty-much any Tamiya kit is a joy to build, that's why I rebuild so many of mine even when they are used or pre-built. Such clear instructions, clever designs...

If I had to choose I'd probably plump for a 1/10th buggy, maybe an Egress or one of their TRF kits, something that is the cream of the crop. If it has to be an 'everyday' kit then I'd probably do a Manta Ray, because that was my first proper R/C, or a Lunchbox, just because they are really cool and I've never had one :lol:

I'm just reviving this thread since with the Avante re-re a lot of the posters above will get what they wished for. :lol:

I myself would love to build a new Big Wig, so I'm hoping they would re-re that.

oooh me too!

I decided to actually get one - perhaps it was not the smartest move to buy it in Asia (I really wanted the 2009 version because they will be hard to find NIB pretty soon already), I may get a huge tax bill :lol: It is the 2009 version like I mentioned, but not only that, the number on the box suggests I will be getting one from the first 1000 production units :D

Anyway, I better start saving money again - because I am pretty sure the DEX210's release will be next year - not at the end of the season either :lol:

My ultimate dream build would be a NIB Blackfoot with the following NIB parts:

2x CVA shocks

1x Ball bearings

1x Frog gearset

1x Parma/You-G rear swaybar set

1x Thorp diff/axle set

1x Super Blackfoot front arms (wider)

1x CRP heavy duty steering

1x CRP adjustable motor mount

1x CRP rear bumperset

1x JG f/r shock mounts

1x CRP shock tower brace

1x Futaba 2MC 112B

1x Futaba Magnum PCM with Corona 2.4ghz conversion

2x HPI Geolander tires

1x Monster Beetle wheels

2x Hardware for custom front tension rods

1x Frog skidplate set

1x Kyosho 360G motor

1x Hitec 645MG

1x Kimbrough servo saver

mine would have to be the MAN and reefer trailer with full options kit. However will have to settle for the mercedes1835 (just like me daddy used to drive... B) ) And thanks to the man at Modelsport should be here tomorrow!!! Must admit its a novel experience waiting for a delivery from Otley rather than just a steady drive over however seeing as my 1:1 landrover has had a disagreement with its cylinder head the posty will have to do.

And as for the man it my birthday in january so providing WW3 doesn`t break out when my delivery comes i may be able to swing the man for then

I have too much RC on the brain. At first i thought, "There's a Wild Willy 3 coming out??!!" Then I realized you were talking about World War 3.

I have too much RC on the brain. At first i thought, "There's a Wild Willy 3 coming out??!!" Then I realized you were talking about World War 3.
B) now that is a serious obsession

I decided to actually get one - perhaps it was not the smartest move to buy it in Asia (I really wanted the 2009 version because they will be hard to find NIB pretty soon already), I may get a huge tax bill B) It is the 2009 version like I mentioned, but not only that, the number on the box suggests I will be getting one from the first 1000 production units :o

Anyway, I better start saving money again - because I am pretty sure the DEX210's release will be next year - not at the end of the season either :)

post some build pics mate!

post some build pics mate!

I'll make sure I will - I by the way even have to get me some new tools to actually build the car: according to the Oople review, I need a 1.3mm/0.05inch hex driver for the diff. Also, it seems the early production units did have their imperfections which you have to adress during the build - for some it may sound disappointing for such a high spec car, but I think it will give the car more soul - I can't wait to receive it! :o

I was thinking about something though... Would it be nicer to keep it completely stock (as if there's much to seriously improve on it anyway :)) - or would it be cool to add the carbon fiber chassis for the DEX410 (which has the front and rear kick-up built into the plate!), the plastic side pods of the DEX410R (which are officially a hopup as well) and possibly some Tresrey hopups?

(I especially like the carbon chassis - but as it's such an early release of the DEX410 it might be best to keep it 100% original?) B)

A NIB Mountaineer would be pretty cool but unrealistic (price).

In reality a leopard 2a6 full option would make me a very very happy man :blink:

I am a happy man now! My DEX410 arrived! :o Without customs charges as well!!! :o And even better is (I've checked it by contacting Team Durango), I've got the 555th production DEX410 EVER MADE! :blink: For sure this has to be my Ultimate build - together with my Dyna Storm I already built last year, that is!*

Build pics to be posted soon, as I can't start the build just yet! (I'm not at home this weekend, I haven't got the right tools, blah blah) :unsure:

*(Although a NIB TRF211X would be soooo cool as well - there was a NIB TRF211X on ebay years back according to a Showroom entry, but chance is that there are actually none left NIB, as only 60 were ever made).