Dazza1

Whats The First Thing You Do With Your Nib Kit?

LOL, I love the idea of Tamiya on the palate, lovely finish! :P

I always start with the body. It's in the way of all the other parts anyway, so might as well get it out first - I've usually got the lexan cut out within the first 30 mins, and it's painted very soon after as I've been planning the paint before I even ordered the kit. Then as soon as the paint is dry enough to handle I get absorbed into the decals, can't leave it alone until it's finished.

Making the chassis seems almost a chore in comparison - this is why I have a Pajero body nearly finished with the chassis in bits, and a couple of other M-chassis bodies finished and back in the box on top of the chassis parts!

Tim

its a bit nerdy, but i really like to read the manual back to front about five times before i do anything else. get a nice feel for the intended build process

try my best to sneak it upstairs, and hide it in the spare room!

Regards

KingPin

..........admit to management (the wife) that I may have brought another one!

Pointless trying to hide a Super Clodbuster.

After that I'm definitely a sniffer too. I love the smell of fresh rubber so it's always the tyres and wheels that get done first on any build of mine.

Mmmm, NIB kit smell...

As Mr Bean would say: "Look at all the bits."

- James

Count me in. NIB has its own smell, just like a new car or a baby. Somehow the smell is just intoxicating. After the wiff, I look over contents, read the manual, find out what color and bearings I need and off to the hobby store if I decided to built her.

Some might say the first thing I do with a kit is to hide it ... but I regard that in the same way some people lay wine down to age it - I just put the kit somewhere dark to make it "more mine".

This has the benefit that I can honestly answer "oh no, I've had it _ages_" if I'm asked "is that a new kit?"

When it's correctly aged, I'll bring it out & start the contemplation phase - sniffing the tyres, looking at the stickers, working out what bearings and paint I might need, grabbing the instruction manual in a hurry when I need a #2 and don't have any other reading material handy, etc etc...

I was in such a rush to get my first ever kit running (a Grasshopper) that I completely missed the painting stage & did the stickers pretty badly - so now when it comes to building, I'll do the painting & stickering first

;)

I take everything out and have a good look at it all then I usually assemble the rims and tyres. After that step I find the first aid kit and attend to my mashed fingers. My cat does the sniffing for me from the moment the usually brown paper covered box appears on the dining table.

Wash the bodyshell and leave it to dry, then crack on with building it. Rarely do I start with step 1 though. Real engineers only refer to the instructions after they've gone wrong ;) . I Usually build sub assemblies first (tyres onto wheels, shocks, fit axles in uprights, etc), then assemble the bits together. I usually paint the shell last.

...grabbing the instruction manual in a hurry when I need a #2 and don't have any other reading material handy, etc etc...

;) remind me not to buy manuals from you... what do you do if you run out of tp?

I usually sniff the tyres then squidge them, like a 5yo would with Play-Doh. Then realise I'm out of bearings so will sacrifice a low milage rc (the amount of times my Pumpkin has had new bearings...)

proof read the manual and then start the build. Depends on the model if I assemble the wheels and tyres first.

Open the box and take a huge sniff of that NIB goodness

lick the tyres

Grab the tires and take a big sniff - ahhhhhhhh

otherwise i just sniff and build, yes i am a sniffer

As Mr Bean would say: "Look at all the bits."

"Mmm... now... I must be careful here... this is a vigorous... again lively, neat and sharp... oh but what a finish... yes... I think I know this one... yes... is it a Fox? " , "No sir, it's wee wee".

ROFLMAO

I never laughed so hard reading a forum topic before... Let's admit it - we are all tire sniffers lol!...

Making the chassis seems almost a chore in comparison

Tim

Weird, I feel the opposite - the chassis build is all the fun while the body work is a pain that usually delays the finishing of the kit.

try my best to sneak it upstairs, and hide it in the spare room! ...

Never thought there is someone else out there doing just that ...:huh:

I take mine up to the loft ... then I will take a deep breathe once I open it up ...

Then after awhile, once I have decided to build it, have to think of a reason for it to suddenly appear on my work table and at the sametime hope the wife do not notice any difference.

gotta have a good sniff 1st. mmmm, then I try and build it as quick as possible and finally I realise I should have read the manual first as i normally c0-ck it up at some point

I wait patiently at work, trying to predict when the internal email will arrive from the mail room.

Within moments of it's arrival, I'll grab my car keys, collect the parcel and then head down to the underground car park (at work).

- I then get myself comfortable in the car (side in middle row, as I have a 9-seater people mover) and begin opening the parcel.

- I'll then stay in the car (all doors shut), and enjoy our first few moments together..... :) with a little sniffing maybe.

- It's like having a mistress, as I have to put her away again and then drive home and put her somewhere so the wife don't find-out.

The good thing with parcels, is they all come in common looking cardboard boxes, so she fits right on home wedged between my other mistresses in the garage.

Some of my recent mistresses haven't yet seen the light of day, but I'll get my chance.

When my wife goes out shopping alone, me and the mistresses have a party !!! (only to return to their boxes before the wife comes back) :o

- It's not that bad really for me. I recently bought a Mammoth Dump Truck, and was caught driving it around the house. She asked where it came from, and I said I'd had it ages in the garage !!!

- I think she is aware my collection is growing, but if I can keep the visible models to a constant number it doesn't look too bad.

Sounds like the first thing most of you do is consult the thread for "dealing with the wife/partner/significant other/Queen/SWMBO/Empress/Domestic managment/guardian of the shoes and handbags/nutcracker/household administrator/Keeper of the Manhood/Madame Lash" for tips before you risk bringing the kit out into the open and cracking open the box for a whiff of NIB smell goodness...

- James

Sweep all the junk off the dinning table. Get me tools and a beer and start.

LOL that makes two of us that do that then :o

First thing i do,is sneek it in the garage where i have some old

tamiya kit boxes,old parts and beat up bodies.Then I take everything

out of the new kit and put it in the old box with an old body and

some old parts.Than put the new box back in its shipping

carton.Then when i bring it in to my work bench it just looks

like some old car I'm working on.hee,hee,hee.(if she ever goes

snoopin around the garage you'll know cause you'll probley

never here from me again)

first thing i do is get the tools ready,get some plates to put all the screws in,open the box and give the tyres a good old sniff!!!,new tamiya tyres always smell so nice-its like opening a brand new jar of coffee....hmmmmmm nice.

then i get the thing built as soon as poss......never had anything for nib kits!!....

Blimey, a lot of rituals here. I usually just rip it open and start building it. I have never checked a kit to see if all the parts are there, but then I've never actually been short-parted and I guess some of you have ?

Same here, ive never checked all the parts are there (15+ kits) i just dive right in! :D

..........admit to management (the wife) that I may have brought another one!

Pointless trying to hide a Super Clodbuster.

My wife just see that the stack is getting higher or there are new boxes. Then when she picks a fight she would hit me with a "Do you think I didn't notice there are new kits in that room!". Normally would end with a "when are you getting me that lounge suite I so dearly want?" question. ;)

and yes it should be a bit of a exercise to try and hide that huge kit.

I thought I was alone in trying to sneek kits past the wife. My son normally gives it away as he can't get the idea that he must keep quiet about it.

:)

First thing I want to say is i'm not a tyre sniffer like you bunch of weirdos ;)

This is my routine.

1. Get it home as quick as possible.

2. Clear a space at the table, get a screwdriver, side cutters and pint of squash ready ;)

3. Remove everything from the box.

4. Start building it while glancing at the instructions every so often to make sure my memory is serving me correctly.

5. Once the chassis is built I usually then leave it a couple of weeks before I cut out the bodyshell and get it painted.

I hate doing the body hence why I leave it till last. I struggle to cut it out and then struggle again painting it!

Once everything is done though I pop the car on a shelf where it stays until I buy another kit, then it will go back in its box and the new car will take its place on the shelf :D

Sometimes it's just a blur, especially with the less-expensive ones... I'm not sure what happens. I remember getting home, opening the box, and then suddenly it's several hours later, often well after dark, and I'm outside with a transmitter in my hand watching a brand-new car sans body (or sans paint anyway) zooming down the driveway.