Sign in to follow this  
Origineelreclamebord

55-60mm Dogbones/driveshafts

Hi everyone,

Currently I'm working on a project to extend my TLT-1. I've got the wheelbase that I want and fits with the new body, there's just one problem... Where do I find 58-60 dogbones/driveshafts that fit in the regular outdrives from Tamiya? :(

I've looked around and found that the HPI MT2 uses 57mm dogbones somewhere in it's drivetrain, although I've yet to find out if these dogbones actually fit to a 1/10th scale car, as I believe the MT2 is 1/8th scale...

Edit: I found out that the MT2 57mm shaft is used in the Mini-Trophy from HPI as well - So I'll email them for confirmation and order them if they will match! :D

PS: The reason I can't use punisher shafts is because these can't be fitted to the outdrives of the central diff of the TLT-1.

The HPI RS4 MT2 is a 1:10 scale. I can try a set of HPI driveshafts into a Tamiya cup a bit later in the day and get back to you. I know the shafts the bearings fit to are all 5mm diameter the same as Tamiya's.

If you get stuck you could try using a Jugg2 UJ (Which is 5mm ID both ends, then cut a thundershot or similar drive shaft to length and sleeve it into one end of the UJ.

The HPI RS4 MT2 is a 1:10 scale. I can try a set of HPI driveshafts into a Tamiya cup a bit later in the day and get back to you. I know the shafts the bearings fit to are all 5mm diameter the same as Tamiya's.

If you could do that for me, it would be just great! :lol:

Here by the way are some teaser pictures of the car in a mockup. The front axle is not yet actually fitted to the car, but I think you can roughly see what it will roughly look like.

DSC03206.jpg

DSC03207.jpg

DSC03208.jpg

It has a sealed centre diff, Wild Willy 2 Tires with Wild Dagger Rims, the 4-wheel steering installed of course, the bumpers on the axles removed, a HPI Wheely King body and a few different screws I had lying around as spare to make sure I could re-use the original dampers for the car by mounting them in a different place :( All in all still pretty stock really - much more scale than the original, somewhat bigger too, but still smaller than the small 1/10 Monster Trucks like the Wild Dagger - perfect to still carry around easily, but definetely a Monster Truck :D

The HPI RS4 MT2 CVDs and dogbones are a tight fit into a Tamiya outdrive/indrive cup. The dogbone type end is a slightly larger 'ball' than the Tamiya. They bind at an angle.

You would need to drift the crosspin out, put the driveshaft in a drill and sand/mill a small amount of material from the 'ball' and they would fit into a Tamiya cup.

The HPI RS4 MT2 CVDs and dogbones are a tight fit into a Tamiya outdrive/indrive cup. The dogbone type end is a slightly larger 'ball' than the Tamiya. They bind at an angle.

You would need to drift the crosspin out, put the driveshaft in a drill and sand/mill a small amount of material from the 'ball' and they would fit into a Tamiya cup.

Thanks :D It's a bit of a setback that they won't fit straight away... but if I can indeed get the crosspin out... Do you know how to do that? :( Heating perhaps and hope the crosspin can be pulled/pushed out?

PS: In the meantime I'll try something else as well: shortening a regular driveshaft, put a tightly fitting tube over it and JB-Weld it. I have already done this successfully to a driveshaft before, but I haven't tested it if it was strong enough. The sealed diff didn't fail on me during the tests though - so although I was hoping not to have to do this, I guess it's worth a try for those few bucks.

Why not just drill out the drive cup to make the inner diameter a fraction larger? Saves having to knock the pin from the dogbone then. If its only a fag paper of a mm you might get away with using a hand reamer